Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Canada GPS and cell phone

I will be driving into Canada tomorrow and am thinking of buying a GPS and a prepay phone once I am in Canada. My gps will not show Canada and my phone is not capable of doing Canada.
So, I need a gps that will do the eastern part of Canada as we will be doing Montreal to Nova Scotia. Any ideas?
Also how about a prepay phone? I have heard they are expensive but really need one for family.
Also what store would I be able to get the gps and the phone?

Or could I get an android phone for both

Thank you, Tom

mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Thor Owners Club
What kind of a GPS do you have? When you get into Canada head to Walmart and grab a pre paid phone. Play around with your GPS' settings and look for a setting that allow you to switch countries. Ours allows us to switch from all countries North American and Europeon.

Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #3

We have Verizon share plan on our phone and added Canada to it last year traveling in the Maritimes. It cost us $15.00 a month to add and we got 1000 talk and unlimited text but make sure you turn off the data on yu phone its very expensive. That was much chealer than a burner phone. We alao use Co-pilot app on our android smartphones and tablet for our gps we just added the Canadian maps to it and the worked fine in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland also a side trip to Labador. You don't need a data connectio to use Co-pilot you down load the maps to your device. We been using Co-polit as our fultime gps and it has not steered us wrong.

CoPilot Premium for Android, iPhone and iPad

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #4

A GPS, that doesn't cover Canada, I hope you got it cheap. I've heard of no Mexico coverage , but yours is the first, no Canada.
Other members have reported problems getting a Canadian cell phone , without a Canadian address, but that was for travel in B.C. and Alberta, so it might be a Telus, the major carrier, or regional thing.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm also curious about the GPS brand. Most are equipped with North America maps, you might have to pay to purchase maps for Canada, but most provide coverage. The actual signals cover all of Canada and require no special Canadian receiver.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Most interesting about the GPS. I have a couple Garmins that have North American coverage.

The newer one has more memory so can load the entire North American database.

The older one is has smaller memory so I have to choose the areas of coverage. I generally pick the west coast as that is where I normally travel. If I am planning on travelling out of the area currently on it I simply plan my route and then load the approriate areas into it using the appropriate Garmin software.

If you are using another brand of GPS I am fairly sure they will have similar options.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #7

My older Garmin came with maps that covered US & Canada. On my new Garmin I had to download the Canada maps.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have an older AT&T android phone that I had unlocked when the contract ran out. When I travel into Canada I stop at a Petro-Canada station and buy a prepaid SIM card. When I put it into my phone, it gives me a local number and data. I can then use google navigation etc as if I were home in the US. The sim cards get deactivated if you don't keep them active, so generally I have to get a new one every time.
Bobby & Darrell Mukaisu
2005 Monaco Windsor 40PST 400HP ISL Cummins
2014 Chevy Equinox LS - Full Timers Since 10/1/2010 and Loving it!
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #9

I have a Garmin Nuvi GPS, 2 years old. If you look at the GPS's in Best Buy etc... the gps will have the USA on them or USA/Canada on the box. So not all GPS's are good in Canada. I guess you could go to the Garmin website and download the Canadian maps but for a cost. You also may not have the memory to do it.
So next time you are in Best Buy, Walmart look at the box and you will see what I am talking about.
I did buy another GPS today and it has USA/Canada loaded.
Lesson learned!!
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #10
I use a Magellan for RV's and Microsoft streets and trips 2013. Between the two I usually get to where I"m going. The Magellan has sent me off the road in the wrong direction - Twice!!

HR Endeavor DST Bath and 1/2
330 HP Allison 6-Speed - 7.5 mpg US
Me and the DW
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote

ada, gps