RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #1

Canadian border crossing with an RV

I am thinking about crossing the border into Canada for a trip this year to Niagara Falls is there anything I need to know or any guides out the for border crossing with and RV I know to have all the legal docs and stuff

Dreenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #2

Check online with Canadian and USA customs. The limited items change frequently. You will need a USA passport to re-enter the US.

mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
No guns for sure. Check their website for meats, fruits, etc. ,amount of alcohol, items not allowed.

Papers for the animals, papers for the people.

Crossing can be a crap shoot. Just a few questions or they can tear your coach apart.

Oh, did I mention no guns
Old 02-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post

Crossing can be a crap shoot. Just a few questions or they can tear your coach apart.

I crossed with MH, Dogs & Beer. I only got a few questions. Peace Arch.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #5

You need to get on the Canadian Customs site and read what you can and cannot do. Also, on the U.S. Customs to see about re-entering the U.S.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #6

Probably 1000s of Americans cross the border at the Falls daily--just go by the rules and no problems. And be sure to have your passport to get back in.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #7

Yes I assumed the no guns thing haha Iíll leave the cc at home for this one we have our passports and I believe the kids just need birth certificate just more of a how to make it a smoother process for the people who have done it
Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
Check online with Canadian and USA customs. The limited items change frequently. You will need a USA passport to re-enter the US.
Or an enhanced driver's license, which is only available in NY, MI, MN, VT, and WA.

I cross every year towing a sailboat with cabin. Never got more than a few questions and some penetrating stares. Though one time the Canadian border agent asked if I had any "bar stock". Total vapor lock on my part, as for the last 40 years as an engineer, bar stock means metal rounds, squares, rectangles, and other shapes in long lengths. DW leaned over and said no, we don't have any booze. Doh!

She still dines out on that one.

I always got a lot more scrutiny coming back to the US. And be sure to use the truck or RV lanes at the border, as the radiation detectors are high there. The last trip I took, I think over the Peace Bridge coming back, I sat behind the trucks in the right of two lanes for the entire length of the bridge, only to find out that I could have zipped over the bridge in the left lane along with all the cars and still used the left-most lane with the high detector gate, marked "RV's", as trucks aren't allowed in that one, and their lanes were all back up. I'd recommend eyeballing the border barriers you intend to use with Google maps or something like it, so you know what to expect and where to go.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #9

The equivalent, for ground travel only and for all states, is the Passport Card. About half the cost of a regular passport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Or an enhanced driver's license, which is only available in NY, MI, MN, VT, and WA.....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #10

I may just park the camper state side and stay at branches campground and drive across not sure yet
Old 02-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #11

It was stated already "No Guns", but make sure you don't even have any bullets, magazines, or anything gun related. Also, they don't like pepper spray, as in they can send you back if you have some with you. Apparently it is prohibited.

You can bring up to 1.5 litres of wine or 1.14 litres of alcoholic beverages or up to 8.5 litres of beer.
You can bring 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 200 grams of manufactured tobacco and 200 tobacco sticks.

Don't bring any firewood or live plants.

If you travel with pets, they will require proof of vaccinations.

This website is worth looking at before

What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Old 02-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreenn View Post
Yes I assumed the no guns thing haha
You may be surprised to find that, you actually can bring guns into Canada.

There are restrictions, for sure. If I recall correctly, bringing handguns across the border into Canada is only allowed under very specific conditions. The restrictions on long guns aren't as restrictive. Also, I recall that Mace isn't allowed.

Go to the Canada Border Services Agency website: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...c-rnc-eng.html Much more definitive that the opinions you'll get here.

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
Agree, several years ago, Canadian Customs confiscated 10 lbs. of potatoes. Last year, there was no problem with potatoes. Best to check close to the time you are going to cross.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #14

No radar detectors or root foods grown in soil, like potatoes or carrots. They are very picky about soil or dirt being transported across the border.

A neighbor bought a farm tractor in Canada and he had to wash it 3 different times before their inspection passed and they finally let him into the US.

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote