Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #1

Canadian Snowbird Cell Phone

We are planning our annual trip to Florida again (January-April) and looking for suggestions on what the best solution to cell phone rates are for Canadian Snowbirds.
I am currently with Bell and have been using their $40 for 30 day Travel Plan, but find the data runs out far too soon (only 200MB).
Should I switch out the SIM card in my iPhone and go with one of the US providers such as Straight Talk or Net 10 offering pre-paid cards?
Ideally, I would like to keep my existing phone and number.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 06:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think I would just look for a data hotspot and then connect my phone to the hotspot WIFI. That way you have the same number for your calls and a separate data plan for your data needs. I've used this site for comparisons on data plans and cell plans - https://www.whistleout.com/ I have an AT&T Connected car plan and have unlimited internet at $20 per month. They have the plan for new cars that have built in internet but also sell a unit that plugs in to the OBD2 Port (for power) and on Amazon you can get an adapter to power up the unit anywhere you have a USB port. Info here - https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car.html/#brand
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #3

Straight talk is very expensive. We keep our telus international plan and bought a verizon hotspot and buy data by the month.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
We are planning our annual trip to Florida again (January-April) and looking for suggestions on what the best solution to cell phone rates are for Canadian Snowbirds.
I am currently with Bell and have been using their $40 for 30 day Travel Plan, but find the data runs out far too soon (only 200MB).
Should I switch out the SIM card in my iPhone and go with one of the US providers such as Straight Talk or Net 10 offering pre-paid cards?
Ideally, I would like to keep my existing phone and number.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
I have an old Verizon plan (25-30 years)that I keep only because it is truly unlimited nationwide for data, but the phone calls are limited to the western states.
When we travel further east than what is covered under our plan, I use a previous Verizon cell phone on Straight Talk which has worked well everywhere we have been in the mid-west, but does require a new number which I consider no big deal since I can see who is calling on my Verizon phone and obtain any voice mails on Verizon from the Straight Talk phone. I just send my primary contacts my new number, which is mainly for our kids. Straight Talk is available for both Verizon and AT&T phones, just need their Sim card to use their service.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Try Visible.com. UNLIMITED, non-throttled data, talk, and text. And a hotspot to run your computer. It is a month to month thing, no contract. Uses Verizon towers so coverage is excellent. If your phone is compatible, all it takes is a SIM card switch to get going.

All this for $40 bucks a month. We have had excellent coverage, even in remote Wyoming. We use our phones for our only internet source and we can stream, no problem!
SuzanneH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone