Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2014, 05:45 AM   #1

Canadian trade RV in USA questions

We have a deal almost done to trade our 2010 Vantenna 4333 for a 2014
Aspire 42 deq , But at the last minute I have been told tax must be paid on the total sale price , not on the differance paid as if purchased in Ontario. Can anyone confirm , and any other problems importing or with dealer warranty work !
Thanks , Patty & Glen
gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #2

Tax on full price is correct, no credit for trade in value.
There can also be issues with providing ,recall paper work on your vehicle to the dealer in the USA, and in the past two months USA export regulations have changed. No where as easy as it was a few years back when I imported mine.
I'll track down the post on export regulations, and link you to it.

BTW. Welcome to iRV2.

EDIT: Here is a link.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f68/updat...ts-200412.html
Old 07-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Couple of things to consider - you are really exporting your current RV to trade in the US. You cannot just drive it across the border as exporting is a commercial transaction. Ask your dealer what documentation he requires for your trade and get him to provide that info in writing. The fact that your trade was built in the US to US specs does not negate the need for extensive documentation. The OP is correct on the tax question.
You have to watch which state you purchase in as some states require sales tax to be paid even if the RV is going out of the state and other states do not.
Also, the US exporting process has changed very recently - I do not have the details - but you will have to sort that out with the dealer who has a role to play. It is much more complex than the previous procedure. I have purchased 2 motorhomes in the US and traded a Class C for my current coach in 2010 and would definitely not do a trade again.
Don't sign on the bottom line without fully understanding what you will face and have to pay to get the coach back to Canada. Purchasing in the "wrong state" can kill any savings you might have over a Canadian purchase.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 AM   #4

customs !

Thanks for the help , but my Canadian dealer finally came to the table and matched the USA pricing . We can now buy Canadaian and forget the hassle of importing ! Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:13 AM   #5

Hope to enjoy our new Entegra Aspire 42DEQ, off to Michigan for the Nascar in 2 weeks!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
Hope to enjoy our new Entegra Aspire 42DEQ, off to Michigan for the Nascar in 2 weeks!
Two weeks , it takes the DW longer than that to decide what to take , and 80% of what we take is already on board.
Enjoy your new RV . Safe Travels
Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #7

A person wants to do business between two countries and is faced with these rediculous tax's and the loop holes he is faced with.
Absolutely a disgrace when we do nothing about Illegals entering this country every minute of everyday.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Absolutely a disgrace when we do nothing about Illegals entering this country every minute of everyday.

Homeland Security, does their best, to keep the ever dangerous, Canadian Full Timer out of the USA.
But of course that discussion would be way off topic.

Tags
ada