Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2017, 04:09 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Canadian with Florida residency questions

Hi. Any Canadians here that have bought and keep a car down in Florida with Florida registration ?

I'm looking at this as an option to avoid the drive back and forth. I see that I would need a Florida Drivers license in order to register the car and along with my passport, I would need 2 pieces of ID that establishes residency.

Would the fact that I am using my MH at a campground in Florida for 3-6 months qualify as residency ? Is it possible to get a DL without owning property in Florida ?

Any help, suggestions, or similar experiences appreciated. Thanks
Senstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #2

Not sure about being a Canadian and registering a car in FL.

I live in NY I have a vehicle registered in Fl. ( Fl. insurance is required ) I do not have a Fl. drivers Lisc. best to check with your local Fl. DMV located In the tax collectors office for more info.
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:59 AM   #3

Have you talked to any car dealers? I'm sure your not the first person to ask this question. They would most likely be able to point you in the right direction at least.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #4

The moderators moved this thread to "General Discussion", but I think you will get better answers if you post this on the "Canadian Region" forum in the Regional section of IRV2.

I think some of the new laws have made it more difficult to get driver's licenses in most states. A lot of this gets tied in with laws/regulations concerning airline travel, and using a driver's license as ID for getting on a plane. You are compounding "residency" with "citizenship". Changing residency for a U.S. citizen is one thing, but I doubt you will get a good answer from any of us regarding having a "residency" in a state when you are a Canadian citizen. That is another layer all together.

Focusing your question to fellow Canadian travelers will probably get you better answers.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #5

Hey, when you get it all done, you can probably vote in FL too.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senstastic View Post
Hi. Any Canadians here that have bought and keep a car down in Florida with Florida registration ?

I'm looking at this as an option to avoid the drive back and forth. I see that I would need a Florida Drivers license in order to register the car.....

Any help, suggestions, or similar experiences appreciated. Thanks

Ontario law forbids having more than 1 drivers license. Most jurisdictions are the same.

Otherwise you could have a suspended license in one place and a valid license somewhere else.

While I suppose it's possible to have one spouse with an Ontario license and the other with a Florida license, I wouldn't want to try it.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Florida likes its winter guests and wants cars registered in Florida if they are there for more than a vacation visit. And I don't think a FL driver license is required - people who can't drive still own cars (they hire a driver). Businesses own vehicles too. And I know the address (used to mail renewals and such) can be out of state.

My advice would be to go to a motor vehicle office (usually the County Tax Collectors office, but it varies by county) and discuss what you want to do. I'm sure there is a way to do it, but I don't have the answers.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Your best bet is probably to go to a DMV office in the county your are staying at (your winter MH home) and ask them directly. As a Canadian citizen I doubt you can do it but it never hurts to check
momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
AFAIK, you don't need a FL driver's license to register a vehicle in FL however you do need FL vehicle insurance on the vehicle you want to register. The vehicle will also need to have the VIN number and mileage verified at the DMV office. You need the title also so it can be titled in Florida.

Car Registration Florida

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:50 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We recently became Florida citizens. Before that I had my auto registered here no problem. They really would like to see the vehicle at the DMV office when registering it. In Monroe county the DMV office is separate from the tax collectors office that issues drivers licenses. I have also had a boat trailer registered for a few years.

Both autos were already owned by us and transferred from NY titles/registrations. In my case the SUV did not have plates to bring it to them so there is a form online that you can have a law enforcement officer sign that the VIN number is the one you are registering. I did that and even with the NY title they were skeptical but allowed me to do it. My wife's Jeep we drove up, filled out the paperwork, the nice lady came out and eyed the VIN, said nice Jeep and we were done. Well except for paying for it. I will warn you the first time registering is very expensive. It's based on weight I think so the bigger the more money.

Honestly I don't think they care where you are from but I can't vouch for Canada.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

In my experience the motor vehicle offices in central and northern Florida are much easier to work with than in South Florida. Less busy and much less fraud to deal with, so the staff is more likely to be helpful rather than challenging.

This source indicates that a Canadian citizen can title & register a vehicle in Florida but that a driver license is required. I'm pretty sure a Florida state Id (very similar to a FL driver license) can be substituted, but that's academic since the same proofs are needed.

I am a Canadian citizen and have a home in Florida that I use?
Old 04-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
This source indicates that a Canadian citizen can title & register a vehicle in Florida but that a driver license is required.

I am a Canadian citizen and have a home in Florida that I use?

The problem is, as mentioned in the last paragraph of the page you linked to, it will be next to, if not impossible to get Florida insurance, required to get tags, without a Florida drivers license.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:02 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
it will be next to, if not impossible to get Florida insurance, required to get tags, without a Florida drivers license.
Can't imagine why the insurer would care what state issued the driver license, but I'll have to take your word for that.

Note that "Florida insurance" merely means an insurance policy valid in the state of Florida. Most national insurers are licensed to issue policies in Florida.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #14

It was your link friend. I've run into the same issue before though, and not just in Florida.

Tags
florida