Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #1

Canadians licensing a RZR (utv) in Arizona

I was wondering if there are any other Canadians who bring a Rzr or other similar utv to Arizona and register them there to drive on the road? I'm thinking Lake Havasu or Quartzite. And if so any pointers on how to do it.

Thanks, Aron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #2

I can not answer your question but will tell you several years ago I lived in San Diego, California and had property in northwest Arizona. I decided to leave a jeep there so registered it in AZ because that's where the jeep would remain. Sounds OK, right? but then with AZ registration they notified me I had to have insurance on the jeep and then I find out my California policy would not cover the jeep since it was registered in AZ. I found the AZ insurance more expensive than California so sold the jeep. I have no idea if a similar situation exists for a RZR but something to consider.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelowna
I was wondering if there are any other Canadians who bring a Rzr or other similar utv to Arizona and register them there to drive on the road? I'm thinking Lake Havasu or Quartzite. And if so any pointers on how to do it.

Thanks, Aron
Hey Aron....I think you'll find it makes more sense to register & insure it at home. Never forget that in order to get to Arizona you cross an "international border"! The border brings import/export, customs, duties, GST/PST, US State taxes and probably a million other regulations into the equation. Different story if you planned to buy the Rzr in Arizona and leave it there...but then you 'll need an Arizona address, drivers license, DMV registration, US insurance, etc. Sometimes in an effort to save a couple of bucks you open-up a can of worms you later regret.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #4

If the Razor is licensed and insured in your home province then it is OK to use off road as well as in the desert in Arizona. We had to add a horn to comply.

It is all spelled out on this page...
http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreat...vFAQ.shtml#Are

It looks like after 30 days you should get a sticker.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

The problem is that we dont have registration in bc for atv's. Yhe business manager ay the Polaris dealer i bought my RZR from said he knows a few people from bc that bring there atv's to arizona and have them licensed to ride on the road. I went to the dmv in Lake Havasu last year and the lady told me on only need a title and an address to get it licensed for the street. I shouldn't have a problem at the border as I have a reciept that states it was bought and tax oaid in canada. I would think that would would work going both ways. but i could be wrong.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Great question, As I have the CanAm 800R Outlander Max (2 seater) ATV, registered in MT and insured like a motorcycle, they call it a quadricycle, turn signals, horn, liecnse plate light and of course lights.
I have riden in SD, MT, WV soon in AZ @ Quartzsite on highways with zero issues. Am told to carry a weapon in southern AZ/Quartzsite. Many illegals, some more desperate than others, just stay clear and be aware.
Other states not on the highway system, Riding areas, shows etc.
You got to love sum of the western states.
Enjoy
Dave
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm looking to buy a RZR in January and hopefully take it to Quartzsite for a week. It seems that AZ is one of the few states that allows a RZR on city streets. Initially, I heard that you can buy a license as a non-resident. I guess to get a straight answer I'll need to call their motor vehicle department.

Worse case scenario, I might find a license frame and a paper plate from an AZ dealer and fake it for a few days.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
Great question, As I have the CanAm 800R Outlander Max (2 seater) ATV, registered in MT and insured like a motorcycle, they call it a quadricycle, turn signals, horn, liecnse plate light and of course lights.
I have riden in SD, MT, WV soon in AZ @ Quartzsite on highways with zero issues. Am told to carry a weapon in southern AZ/Quartzsite. Many illegals, some more desperate than others, just stay clear and be aware.
Other states not on the highway system, Riding areas, shows etc.
You got to love sum of the western states.
Enjoy
Dave
good advice on the weapons but that opens a new can of worms for canadiens beccuase thier rights to carry a firearm are so different than ours
brianj
Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I'm looking to buy a RZR in January and hopefully take it to Quartzsite for a week. It seems that AZ is one of the few states that allows a RZR on city streets. Initially, I heard that you can buy a license as a non-resident. I guess to get a straight answer I'll need to call their motor vehicle department.

Worse case scenario, I might find a license frame and a paper plate from an AZ dealer and fake it for a few days.
Don,
I bought a 2010 rzr in Mo. last April. Mo. does not allow registration of the rzr for on road use and don't give out a title for it either. When I got to Az. this year last month I checked out the rules to register it. I had to put a horn kit on it and I bought a lighted licenses plate holder for the rear and put it on. I already had a rear view mirror on it but would have had to put it on if it wasn't already on it. It also has to have some kind of windshield like the half windshield. I went to register it and it cost me $35.00 for the on and off road stickers to go on the licenses plate. I give hand signals for turning. The turn signal kit is expensive so I chose not to put it on. I am coming to Quartzsite and parking in the same RV park as you this year. If you have any aditional questions let me know. I also haul the rzr in the back of my Chevrolet silverado 4x4 crew cab pickup.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #10

Arizona is very easy to register your RZR. I see people all the time running around Havasu with plates. Go to the Motor Vehicles Department and it is not big deal. I wish all states were this easy.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 AM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Bill2, What does the 100%VA Mean? I served in the USMC and never had anything to do with the VA after the Pilot training benefit, Just wondering.
Thanks
Dave M
Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
Bill2, What does the 100%VA Mean? I served in the USMC and never had anything to do with the VA after the Pilot training benefit, Just wondering.
Thanks
Dave M
100%VA means that the VA has placed me on their list of veterans that are disabled enough to be awarded the 100% level of disability. It can be either an injury, illness, surgery, or something that the VA says was caused or exasperated by the military.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Best thing to do is just check at MVD so you know what they will charge a non resident.I just registered my wifes Rhino, here in GreenValley AZ ,from off road plates to on road use different plates and tags all together and tag-plates $35 for off rd use only called an OHV tag--- $129 for on rd tag and plate you pay yearly plus you will need license plate light, windshield,headlights,rear lights,turn signals,rearview mirror,seatbelts and Ins coverage . Which most you should already have on it already i would think except signals and plates light maybe rearview mirror ? Just some advice trying to help. You can always go on line to varify all of what you need to also to ARIZONA MVD
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutler View Post
Best thing to do is just check at MVD so you know what they will charge a non resident.I just registered my wifes Rhino, here in GreenValley AZ ,from off road plates to on road use different plates and tags all together and tag-plates $35 for off rd use only called an OHV tag--- $129 for on rd tag and plate you pay yearly plus you will need license plate light, windshield,headlights,rear lights,turn signals,rearview mirror,seatbelts and Ins coverage . Which most you should already have on it already i would think except signals and plates light maybe rearview mirror ? Just some advice trying to help. You can always go on line to varify all of what you need to also to ARIZONA MVD
It's strainge that your on and off road plates cost so much. I got my on and
off road plate and stickers for $35.00 total for my rzr here in Az.
Bill