Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

Canoe Carrier

We have a 30 ft Itasca RV and my wife has decided it would be nice to bring her 45 year old 14 ft canoe on our trips now. I have been looking for some way to store the canoe on the roof, so if she is camping herself, she still can get it, any ideas?

I have seen some one with a camper, that had a L shape thing attached to the back bumper. You attached the canoe to the top section of the L, then cranked the unit, so the canoe was over the top of the camper. I have not seen any, nor any plans for them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
We have a 30 ft Itasca RV and my wife has decided it would be nice to bring her 45 year old 14 ft canoe on our trips now. I have been looking for some way to store the canoe on the roof, so if she is camping herself, she still can get it, any ideas?

I have seen some one with a camper, that had a L shape thing attached to the back bumper. You attached the canoe to the top section of the L, then cranked the unit, so the canoe was over the top of the camper. I have not seen any, nor any plans for them.
Just a thought, are you pulling a toad? If so, you can do what we did, put a kayak rack on toad, actually we built it ourselves. The front cross bar attaches to where the luggage rack would attach, the back rack goes into the received hitch through the use of a hitch extender, then a bike rack fits into the hitch extender. Rack holds up to 4 kayaks, bike holder holds up to 4 bikes, but we only carry two.

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
X2 for carrying it on the Toad. Makes it really easy when it comes to transporting it down to the shore, as well. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh 45 yr old canoe. I feel for you. There is no way you are going to convince her to try an inflatable.

Even if you don't have a toad that can carry, you will be better off in the long run going that route.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #5

If you put it upright on the trailer hitch it is going to stick up about 15 feet, yes?

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 08-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
If you put it upright on the trailer hitch it is going to stick up about 15 feet, yes?

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

Only until the first overpass, then she can shop for a 12' canoe.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I carried 2 ~16' sea kayak on top of my Class C.

Basically I made heavy Styrofoam blocks that the kayaks rested on. I used short pieces of PVC pipe to use as spacers to keep them apart to protect the AC unit which the kayaks straddled. I then ran a strap down both sides at the front just in front of the back wheels, I made a tie down location that was just outside the side of the side of the motorhome. On the back I tied it down on the trailer hitch, which had a bike rack on it.

I carried these from South Florida, to Northern WI, to Maine, basically almost every state in the eastern US.

Depending on where your AC unit is located you could offset the canoe one side or another. If you have a ladder that mounts from the top you could use this to help support the canoe from moving side to side.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #8

Canoe

How do you get the boat up on the roof?
Old 08-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #9

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My kayaks weight ~60 lbs, not extremely heavy. They are long enough so that you can stand them up and lay one end on the top back of the RV. I would then crawl on top, pull the kayak up and lay it on the blocks that I placed. Go back down and do the same thing with the 2nd. After I got both on top I would tie them down and then go down and tie the rope on both sides and back. I could load both kayaks in about 15 minutes.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:11 AM   #11

Canoe

The problem is, my 66 year old wife would like to take the RV and canoe camping by herself, which means she has to get the canoe on to the roof herself.