RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 09:49 PM   #1

Canoe on truck with trailer.

So i have a very nice 17foot wood canoe. I tow a 30 travel trailer. I have a yakima hitch rack which works without the trailer.

I have seen online these double hitches allowing you to add the trailer hitch, then followed the top hitch for the canoe.

But i am VERY conncern how this effect weight as the hitch is now 10 longer. As the pictures all show a small boat trailer. Nothing giving you weight limits etc.

Anyone welded a bed rack to hold a canoe?

Pics?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2019, 12:29 AM   #2

I have one about the same size. I welded up a rack that slides into the holes in the corners of the bed. Works great!

Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:52 AM   #3
IC2

Did you ever consider making up a TT roof top rack? On an early and fairly low fer, I made up a rack from 3/4" pipe (would use conduit today), some fittings and floor flanges and then found the rafters and bolted it down. We hauled a fairly heavy 17' Old Town canoe that way for years, including 2 cross country trips, with zero problems. With the 12-13+ foot height of the current crop of 5th wheels, couldn't do it though.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:11 AM   #4

Even a rack made of wood will be much better than extending the hitch length.
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #5

Smile

Here's how I carry my 18' canoe. As you can see, it even work with a 5th wheel. Ignore the cat :-).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	On the Roof.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	250170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaving for Florida.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	250171  

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #6

we put a ladder rack on to carry our hobie kayak, 18 feet long. Would love to post a few pics, but can't figure out how!
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #7

I would be very careful about extending your TT hitch. The extension will create a moment (lever) that magnifies the weight of your trailer on the hitch and frame of your TV. This can damage either (don't ask me how I know this). A better plan IMO would be to have a second receiver hitch mounted on the front of your TV (most hitch shops can work this out for you). This would allow you to use your canoe rack on the front of the TV while safely towing using your existing hitch configuration...
johns1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2CAMP View Post
we put a ladder rack on to carry our hobie kayak, 18 feet long. Would love to post a few pics, but can't figure out how!

You must have you're kayak in a vertical position. but since you probably want the bottom to be at least 1' above the ground, that would make the top end 19' high. I would love to see a photo.

To post a photo, scroll down below the text entry box to "Attach Files" and click on "Manage Attachments."

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #9

I have used a double hitch but not to carry the canoe. Mine has the ball on the bottom and I've used it for bikes and a cargo basket. With the ball mount built in, you don't have the extended length, but it wouldn't work if you are using a WDH. I was towing a car dolly behind a class A, so I didn't have much tongue weight.

As others have stated, we have always used roof racks for the canoe and kayaks, all 16 or 17'. Until recently we towed with a Ridgeline using Thule racks. In addition to the straps on each bar, we use safety ropes front and back.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #10

Thanks, kept trying to use the insert image button, and it would pop up then disappear.
Here's the poop:
Boat is basically a big kayak, bottom has two round depressions in the hull. I used a ladder and screwed PVC tube onto the rungs to support the hull. This is the best way to carry the boat, my trailer uses the same concept. The ladder has a pivot rod on the rack crossbar behind the cab, almost exactly at the balance point of the rig. I have a pulley on the ladder to load. Put the bow onto the ladder and pull the rope. Up it goes. Unloading is a hoot, just let it slide back to a certain point, plug the dolly into the boat and let the rig roll the rest of the way off. Because the boat is a kayak or a sailing trimaran depending on needs the mast and outer hulls(amas) are just strapped to the rack.

This would work on a canoe also, you may or may not need the unloading ladder depending on boat weight and your lifting abilities. My main hull is over 100 pounds so even with the pulley its tough. Might go with a 2:1 purchase soon.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	next to trailer.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	250220   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190613_151841.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	250221