Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Probably is more often than you imagine.
I agree with you. There are too many nearly new ones for sale out there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #16

im not a salesman but if you call me inquiring about one rv and then tell me you're having my competition quote you the same just a new model. Im going to try and sell you a new model as well. Why wouldn't you have the salesman quote you the used and new model?

This salesman is probably just as confused as you because he cant believe someone wouldn't want to price compare apples to apples. Why even mention that you are having his competition quote you a new model if you dont want him to quote you the same?
Old 04-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbelcher View Post
im not a salesman but if you call me inquiring about one rv and then tell me you're having my competition quote you the same just a new model. Im going to try and sell you a new model as well. Why wouldn't you have the salesman quote you the used and new model?

This salesman is probably just as confused as you because he cant believe someone wouldn't want to price compare apples to apples. Why even mention that you are having his competition quote you a new model if you dont want him to quote you the same?
Forget a bank check. We bought our last 3 rvs with a bag of cash.
Price dropped from best deal before cash too 20 percent less.
Works almost every time. Saves a bunch of paper work also.
Much faster prep and better delivery. Soooo if you can price it out at many dealerships and then bring in cash[emoji102] [emoji385] [emoji385] [emoji385] [emoji385] [emoji389] [emoji383] [emoji383]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
Forget a bank check. We bought our last 3 rvs with a bag of cash.
Price dropped from best deal before cash too 20 percent less.
Works almost every time. Saves a bunch of paper work also.
Much faster prep and better delivery. Soooo if you can price it out at many dealerships and then bring in cash[emoji102] [emoji385] [emoji385] [emoji385] [emoji385] [emoji389] [emoji383] [emoji383]
Interesting Russ, we would have totally agreed with you and did so ourselves on large purchases some 15+ years or so ago, but when, and we're picking it up tonight our daughter who's paying cash for her brand new truck, was initially looking, they'd prefer financing because they make more money on financing in the long run we were told. Just saying what we've been told past couple weeks whilst negotiating.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post
Interesting Russ, we would have totally agreed with you and did so ourselves on large purchases some 15+ years or so ago, but when, and we're picking it up tonight our daughter who's paying cash for her brand new truck, was initially looking, they'd prefer financing because they make more money on financing in the long run we were told. Just saying what we've been told past couple weeks whilst negotiating.
True, but their profits were not my priority. They will not walk from you cash[emoji56]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #20

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
I walk in to the dealer with my check in hand, from my bank, I know what I want and what I am willing to pay for it. I found this to be the best negotiating tool. I have did this three times and never felt like I was sold a lemon. An RV is not an impulse buy, you need to do the research beforehand to be pleased with your purchase.

We also lookie Lou a lot and I always tell the salesman beforehand, I let him set how much time he is willing to spend with us looking. If they refuse service then I just go elsewhere but when we buy I will go to whoever will give the deal I wanted regardless of past encounters. You can call me every name in the book but if if the deal is good I don't take it personally.
I know how to cut a deal. Drove into the city and transmission crapped out. Told sale dude I had one hour to meet a plane and I wanted the truck in the show room. 55 min later i was at the air port.
Sales guy said do you always do business like this?
Most time yes!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #21

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

You are confused but to make it simple I wanted to light a fire under his A## but all it did was put him to sleep.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
You are confused but to make it simple I wanted to light a fire under his A## but all it did was put him to sleep.
but you got upset with him for wanting to quote you a new model. you told him you were having his competition quote you a new model but only wanted him to quote you a used model. If I was a salesman id want to quote you the new model as well. The moment you got upset that I was quoting you a new model id be less willing to work with you as well. commission is commission but some times working with a difficult person isn't worth the sale. especially if he isn't hurting for the money.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:17 PM   #23

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
but you got upset with him for wanting to quote you a new model. you told him you were having his competition quote you a new model but only wanted him to quote you a used model. If I was a salesman id want to quote you the new model as well. The moment you got upset that I was quoting you a new model id be less willing to work with you as well. commission is commission but some times working with a difficult person isn't worth the sale. especially if he isn't hurting for the money.
You don’t get it.
I told him that the only reason I was working with the new one was I did not know that he had a used one I was after the used one as at that time two days had passed and I heard nothing on the new one. He was aware that that I wanted the used one.
What is it you don’t understand
Old 04-17-2019, 10:27 PM   #24

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Well, you did say you were looking at the same floorplan in a new unit from his competition. I think it could be inferred that you opened the door to start discussing the new one as well. Get a price for both, what can it hurt.
I also told him I was glad I found the used one. Because we preferred the interior colours. So it should have been a no brainer for him.

But one thing I didn’t mention was the new one was basically the same floor plan but a different make. Therefore the new one was out of the question.
I explained to both salesman that my wife is handicapped and interior floor planes were important.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:11 PM   #25

I posted this in another thread a while ago.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/how-t...ml#post4071301
jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #26

I have been following this because we are looking to upgrade our MH. We have been looking for some time and looked at a number of them. Motorhome salesman are worse than a used car salesman. Don't know anything about the coach that they are selling and couldn't care less. We have been small business owners since our early 20's and never have treated customers like these people do. We have just about stopped looking and going to keep what we have due to the BS and attitude of these morons.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #27

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
I have been following this because we are looking to upgrade our MH. We have been looking for some time and looked at a number of them. Motorhome salesman are worse than a used car salesman. Don't know anything about the coach that they are selling and couldn't care less. We have been small business owners since our early 20's and never have treated customers like these people do. We have just about stopped looking and going to keep what we have due to the BS and attitude of these morons.
It is sad isn't it?
Old 04-18-2019, 05:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
At first i thought I might get flamed for my comments about sales people.

Thank you both for your comments! So nice to know I'm not alone.

We should be buying local but every chance to purchase from Amazon I do.

No issues no wasting time finding what I need.

As i get older my patience gets lower and lower.

Once agian thanks for the comments.

My new wife and I went to a Ford dealer and inquired about a new car. They told us we’d have to buy one from inventory as Ford wasn’t building them at the time. What I didn’t tell him was I had just come off a ten hour shift building them in Edison NJ! Down Rt 9 to the next dealership!
GJohns is offline   Reply With Quote