Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #1

Can't get insurance on our motorhome?

Hi everyone. I am from Canada, Ontario.
So we've purchased our Class A Motorhome tonight, and two insurance companies already declined to provide insurance for it.
We are getting worried, because we can't drive it anywhere without license plates, and those can't be issued without a valid insurance.

First company's reason - Need a minimum of 8 years driving experience in Canada (I have only 4). - Aviva insurance (Apparently Wayfarer insurance deals through them)
Second company's reason - Need a minimum of 2 years motorhome driving experience (have none, like anyone else who starts to drive an RV...). - CAA insurance

Has anyone encountered similar issues and how did you get over them? If so, please let me know.

I have no tickets or offenses, my driving record is clean, I'm over 25, I am the new owner of the motorhome, and it's fully paid for, it is not older than 20 years, it has not been in crashes, and it is not over 40ft - which are all typical reasons for denial. But me, I just ran into driving experience issues?
romtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State.

I don't know anything about insurance in Canada but I guess you'll need to keep trying. Are there any brokers that deal with multiple companies that could help?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
from WA State.

I don't know anything about insurance in Canada but I guess you'll need to keep trying. Are there any brokers that deal with multiple companies that could help?
Thanks!
Yeah I will keep trying for sure, we came this far and we must find a way... I'm going to be looking for such brokers, maybe they can help, yeah.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Let us know if we can help you further.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #5

I am in Alberta, but I have had good luck with State Farm Ins or Allstate.

Good luck with your search.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:00 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You might also contact a local RV dealer and see if they can give you any information on different insurance carriers that they deal with.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:36 AM   #7

Time to start looking for another insurance company . Just tell them you are going to move your insurance to another company . Maybe they will change their mind . I haven't had any problems getting insurance ,just finding a good rate is hard.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #8

I wonder if it has something to do with the stricter laws there for truck drivers due to all the incidents. Would it help if you took some kind of training?
Old 07-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
In the States, RV associations like Good Sam and FMCA sell insurance through their in-house insurance agencies that can place insurance with many companies. That might be true up in Canada, too. If so, let them do the work for you. They know the insurance companies' requirements and can find one that will take you on. Good luck.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Time to start looking for another insurance company . Just tell them you are going to move your insurance to another company . Maybe they will change their mind . I haven't had any problems getting insurance ,just finding a good rate is hard.
Thats funny. Do you think an insurance co. cares if you switch ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep looking, lie ----

Is there a log book or something that documents your experience?? I suspect not, so its your word.

This was a very common problem with high performance jets... We couldn't get the pilot insurance unless they had x number of hours in type... Basically, if they lied on the app, and there is a claim, the claim could be denied.. After they have achieved the minimum number of hours, they need to update the application to show the number of hours they currently have and the date. then its no longer an issue..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #12

If you bought from a private party, finding out who they were insured with would be a good start.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #13

Thank you for the suggestions, guys!
We found a broker that has access to different insurance companies, and we had it done within 30 minutes over the phone at the fraction of the hassle and at half the price of what we were quoted with other companies! To whomever will find this thread in the future - don't give up, keep calling, and don't deal with insurance companies directly
Old 07-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by romtim View Post
Thank you for the suggestions, guys!
We found a broker that has access to different insurance companies, and we had it done within 30 minutes over the phone at the fraction of the hassle and at half the price of what we were quoted with other companies! To whomever will find this thread in the future - don't give up, keep calling, and don't deal with insurance companies directly

Sometimes the local brokers are the best choice for obtaining home insurance too. Competitive rates and far less hassle.

Tags
insurance, motorhome