Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #1

Can't pump LP in the rain ???

We stopped at an RV dealership today to buy LP ...place we have bought LP before, had coach serviced, etc. It was 49 degrees and wet outside from rain earlier, but was only kind of misting at the time. We were told "We can't pump Lp in the rain. Maybe after while we can." When I questioned what the rain had to do with it the guy said, "Because the hose freezes or something..." I've been dealing with LP in farm eqipment for nearly 50 years and NEVER heard of any weather related limitation in pumping LP ...with LP going through the hose at a temp of -40 degrees or so, how is 49 degrees and rain going to hurt the hose? I suspect the REAL problem was whoever was responsible for going outside to fill us didn't want to go outside "in the rain." I had to call ahead to our destination 3 hours down the road and find a place I could get Lp along the way.

Am I missing something about pumping LP in the rain, or did they just tell a $100 sale to bug off?
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
mjp

National RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Strange..... I have never experienced "can't pump propane in the rain", a few rain or cold delays as staff put on rain or cold weather gear. Also, during the week during normal business hours I'll stop at the local bulk propane supplier. Most not only can fill the tank but the price is cheaper! Found local ag supply and mill who's price was 2.99 /gal. They normally fill bottles, yet had the hose adapter for the MH tank. Maybe its my farm boy mentality or I have been lucky so far.

I'll have to ask next time I get propane about weather related restrictions. Best travels.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
We stopped at an RV dealership today to buy LP ...place we have bought LP before, had coach serviced, etc. It was 49 degrees and wet outside from rain earlier, but was only kind of misting at the time. We were told "We can't pump Lp in the rain. Maybe after while we can." When I questioned what the rain had to do with it the guy said, "Because the hose freezes or something..." I've been dealing with LP in farm eqipment for nearly 50 years and NEVER heard of any weather related limitation in pumping LP ...with LP going through the hose at a temp of -40 degrees or so, how is 49 degrees and rain going to hurt the hose? I suspect the REAL problem was whoever was responsible for going outside to fill us didn't want to go outside "in the rain." I had to call ahead to our destination 3 hours down the road and find a place I could get Lp along the way.

Am I missing something about pumping LP in the rain, or did they just tell a $100 sale to bug off?
Paul, you are so right my friend, nobody cares anymore, and even to a repeat customer, so sad in today's economy.

"or did they just tell a $100 sale to bug off?"
Travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:03 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The major problem with tanking LP in the rain is that the attended gets wet.
I drove on LP for more than 25 years (and in Europe we self tank) and tanked in rain and all other kinds of weather and never had a problem.
No frozen hose or nozzle, only cold hands.

Suggestion: Offer the attendant to hold an umbrella over him.
pa0gri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
They don't like wet money.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Was in Nappannee, IN. last January and they filled my tank twice in 1* snowy weather, the weather doesn't seem to bother the Amish.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #7

It's not the hose that will get wet and freeze.I guess they let you know how they feel about their customers.Next they will complain about how business is down.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
In today's world too many business rules are made to benefit the employees not the customer.
I fear many businesses are slowly becoming like the government that we criticize.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've heard about not filling LP in when there is lightning, maybe the kid was using it as an excuse. Wonder how his supervisor feels on the subject.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #10

I worked at a gas processing plant for many years where we made propane, butane and gasoline and loaded it into transport trucks 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I can tell you that there were many times I wished I didn't have to stand out in the rain (or snow) pumping propane into these trucks that held up to 10,000 gallons each. But then this was just the company that made the product and not the end distributor. I am sure that their rules are made to conform to their benefits. I would speak to the owner about having such a good business that they can turn down a $100 sale.
Scooter Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Can't = Won't

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post

Have to concur, just yer standard issue, "I don't wanna get wet" attitude.

I get my propane over at the filling station, buy it 100lbs at a time, rain or shine.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me give you the FACTS.. Just the FACTS.

They can not pump LP in the rain because the pump jockey does not wish to get wet.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
"They can not pump LP in the rain because the pump jockey does not wish to get wet."

Just the same as I was going to post.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote