Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2012, 03:15 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Captain's Chairs for living

My coach and most older coaches, have the TV located in front above the windshield. This makes it impractical to use the drivers and passengers chairs as part of the living furniture. These chairs are expensive, they swivel and tilt, some have footrest, my question is how many people actually use these chairs when not driving? I am thinking about moving the TV from the front to the refrigerator will in order to be able to include the two captains chairs in the living area.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #2

I am not using them much for watching TV. Difficult to watch looking straight up at the TV. I have a older tube type TV and if I can figure out how to move a flat screen somewhere else in the coach, I will. Seems to me I could make good use of the space up front for shelves or cabinet space. Might rattle less also.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Way to difficult to watch tv in. Relocate the tv if you can, these chairs are good for overflow people I guess but I haven't used them for that even.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
paz

We don't use the driver and passenger chairs for watching TV, but we do turn them around if we park for a little longer period (several weeks or more) because it makes the front of the rig look a little more "homey" and because we occasionally need them for guests.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C
Way to difficult to watch tv in. Relocate the tv if you can, these chairs are good for overflow people I guess but I haven't used them for that even.

A bit off topic but I have a question. In my 04 Fleetwood somehow I have managed to break the driver side seat lever that reclines the seat back. I have it stuck in the forward position. Has anyone got experience in getting the lever reconnected. It appears the cable connected to the lever has come loose bit it is located within the seat. I'm not sure how to get to it.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
My new to me coach has a passenger seat that is 50% to big and is pretty much shot. My thoughts are that if it is practical to use this as living room furniture, I could replace it for less than the cost of Ekorne's, In the process, I want to investigate the possibility of moving the chair back 4"-6". This would make more room in the passage from the stairwell. I just have to see what the structure is under the chair to see if there is enough steel there to allow the move safely. We removed the furniture that was between the passenger seat and the dining area and I really like the openness there. Filling that space with a recliner when you have an unused recliner a few feet away doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ours get rotated around to face the lounge whenever we stop and are used regularly. Not for watching tv, but for reading, occasional chatting, and a favorite place for the cat to sleep. I have mounted a swing-out wall lamp near the co-pilot chair so it can be oriented for reading in that chair or one end of the adjacent sofa.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I don't think ours swivel, but I do occasionally put the drivers seat back as far as possible and watch TV when other seats are taken.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We replaced our dinette with a second sofa and it really opened up the space.

We placed a removable table between the front seats so we have an eating area. We turn then 90deg so they face each other and the table stand between them . Our entry door is mid unit so this wouldn't work if your entrance is in front of the passenger seat.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We have not swiveled ours around yet at all, except to check 'em out and make sure they would if we wanted 'em to. They are too far from the main 'living area' to be useful, and after sitting in one all day driving, they aren't that appealing.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz
We don't use the driver and passenger chairs for watching TV, but we do turn them around if we park for a little longer period (several weeks or more) because it makes the front of the rig look a little more "homey" and because we occasionally need them for guests.
We do that for the exact same reasons.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #12

We are fortunate enough to have a mid coach television, as well as a front overhead. The copilot area becomes DW's office when we are parked so the seat there normally is not rotated. The driver's seat is rotated whenever we stop for more than just an overnight. With cupholders close by, padded armrests, comfortable reclining, and using the foot stool that came with the silly Euro chair for your feet it is a great place to nap, I mean watch tv.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Like Gary replied, we use the swivel seats for a reading area when someone is watching TV mid ship. However, they have occasionally been used for additional seating when watching movies. We have space for a front TV but did not have one installed. I agree that it would be tough for the front seats to be useful in that regard.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heck people are driving down the road texting, reading , ect, just put your feet up on dash wheel between your legs, watch road and tv with quick glances. "There's one in everycrowd" HUH?
Poke a Long is offline   Reply With Quote