Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
gts

Car Carrier

Hi All, this is Tony, I have a question that someone might know, I want to build a ramp truck and have the bed lowered like a rear axel flip that would be done on a truck, I did on my suburban. it lowered it 6inches in the rear has anyone did this or do you know who has. Most car haulers the bed is so high that it doesn't handle real well so I wanted to lower the rear making it handle better and also the ease of loading.
Thanks GTS Tony

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know what brand or type of car hauler you are looking at but most are LOW, I had to raise mine because it was dragging a lot it was so low.

You can run 4" drop axles with the springs under slung and get it low.

You cant flip your axle if its cambered but you could weld another set of spring perches on it and put the springs under slung.

There is air ride for trailers that will drop em, there is also ones that slide back like a roll off tow truck.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
More detail Tony? The previous poster seems to think you mean a trailer. I read a truck. which?
Old 07-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
gts

Carrier

Yes doc it's a truck
Old 07-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Thought that was what you were asking. Might take some expensive engineering to lower that. If a truck, the differential will only allow it to drop only so much. Remove spring leaves will weaken the load carrying ability and make handling even worse. I will try to keep up with this thread just to see what ideas come forth
Old 07-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
gts

car trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Thought that was what you were asking. Might take some expensive engineering to lower that. If a truck, the differential will only allow it to drop only so much. Remove spring leaves will weaken the load carrying ability and make handling even worse. I will try to keep up with this thread just to see what ideas come forth
Hi Doc, i found out what it was its a 1997 ford f250 what he did was to use the frame and front wheel drive from an olds tornado, built his trailer on the back so it was as low as a trailer. it was pretty cool i asked if the weight on the back made it feel light on the front wheel drive, he said no but if it works , I think back in the 70's didn't they make front wheel drive RV's, its a pretty cool idea. you got to say something for american ingenuity
Tony
Old 07-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
You may be right. I saw one of the 'high rise vans' the other day just northeast of Atlanta. (like the Mercedes or the Dodge) This think was front wheel drive and the guys with me were discussing how that would be an ideal conversion for a single person RVer and could easily stealth camp in the cities and shopping centers around the country - and it was small enough not to require a toad if you wanted to hit back roads or even pull a small trailer with a motorcycle or such
Old 07-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts View Post
Hi Doc, i found out what it was its a 1997 ford f250 what he did was to use the frame and front wheel drive from an olds tornado, built his trailer on the back so it was as low as a trailer. it was pretty cool i asked if the weight on the back made it feel light on the front wheel drive, he said no but if it works , I think back in the 70's didn't they make front wheel drive RV's, its a pretty cool idea. you got to say something for american ingenuity
Tony
The mid 70's GMC motorhomes were made with (basically) the Toronado drivetrain which is fwd. 455 Oldsmobile engine with a special Turbo 400 trans. They are desirable collectible motorhomes.

38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote