Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Carefree awning fabric

Where have you found is the best (least expensive) place to but replacement fabric for Carefree slide toppers?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just got a pamphlet at the resort where we are staying for "Tough Top Awning", it has a sample of the material that they use to make the toppers and it seams pretty Tough. I haven't priced them. WELCOME TO TOUGH TOP RV AWNINGS
One of the owners here has decided to remove his slide toppers completely, I don't think that I would do the same though.

mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Joe,
I just called A&E two days ago regarding another question and while talking with them I asked what the 19 feet 6 inch awning would cost. That is the awning that is extended from the slide, and not a topper. He said that without looking it up it was between 250-300 dollars. Of course, you then have to add any labor unless you can do-it-yourself. Call A&E, get a price for your awning, then talk to your dealer as they may have to order it and the price will be a little high I would imagine.

Others have posted some alternative sources.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mllk3rd View Post
I just got a pamphlet at the resort where we are staying for "Tough Top Awning", it has a sample of the material that they use to make the toppers and it seams pretty Tough. I haven't priced them. WELCOME TO TOUGH TOP RV AWNINGS
One of the owners here has decided to remove his slide toppers completely, I don't think that I would do the same though.
I replaced 2 of the Carefree toppers on my Jayco with Tough Toppers. The fabric is thicker, and the seams are double stitched. I liked it so well, I replaced 1 of my A&E toppers last year with one from Tough Tops, and it was better quality than the OEM. If I have to replace another one it will be another Tough Topper. The guy includes his cell phone number should you have any questions.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Mike, I called this company and ran into two problems. First, they don't have the acrylic fabric like Carefree, only vinyl. I don't think the vinyl will last nearly as long as the acrylic without cracking. Secondly, they don't offer the "valance" edge with the curves, only straight edge, so I don't think it would nearly as nice.

Thanks for your suggestions, but I think I will stay with the Carefree fabric.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe.....I just installed mine about two hours ago. I few days ago I looked for material online and didn't really see anyone that had Sunbrella acrylic. Instead, I went to a local awning company and had them make the three slide covers. They quoted me a little more than I expected, but they were local and did it in two days. They charged me $580.00.

When I got home after dropping them off, I checked for websites again and found this one RV Slideout Cover Fabric. They have some pretty good prices and use Sunbrella acrylic. They would have been about $430.00 with tax.

Joe, on yours and mine, I found a way to get the material off in a few minutes without removing the rollers. I did a post and photos on the Monaco forum.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #7

I had both of mine on the DRiver Side done on site at a CG in Corpus Christi, TX last winter by a fellow that came to the park, removed them, went away and came back two days later and installed. Used Sunbrella material. Charged $500 all in. I thought that was a fair price for material and labor and he did a nice job.
Guys name was Lupe, we were at Hatch RV Park.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:26 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
We bought two of them last year, easy to install and much heavier fabric than the A&E material
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Joe.....I just installed mine about two hours ago. I few days ago I looked for material online and didn't really see anyone that had Sunbrella acrylic. Instead, I went to a local awning company and had them make the three slide covers. They quoted me a little more than I expected, but they were local and did it in two days. They charged me $580.00.

When I got home after dropping them off, I checked for websites again and found this one RV Slideout Cover Fabric. They have some pretty good prices and use Sunbrella acrylic. They would have been about $430.00 with tax.

Joe, on yours and mine, I found a way to get the material off in a few minutes without removing the rollers. I did a post and photos on the Monaco forum.

Don that website is EXTREMELY hard to read! Terrible selection of colors! I'll call them Monday and see what they offer.

I have lost the Monacoers forum address. What was it? Thanks!

Joe

Old 05-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I replaced one of my Carefree sunbrella toppers with the ToughTops material a couple months ago. The material is good, better than the A&E I think, but not the quality of the woven acrylic used on the Carefree SOK (Slide Out Kover) toppers. Seemed like a good value for the price, though. The side edges aren't bound, though, and they don't seem to offer that even as an option. The rest of it was well-stitched and hopefully will last. The acrylic on the SOK lasted almost 9 years and then it was the stitches that failed first, but I decided to replace the whole thing because it was stretched out of shape from water pooling in it (a 13'6" topper).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe....Here is my post on how to do them easily Carefree Slide Topper Repair/Replace Read through the whole post, I added more photos at the end.

I had the old ones out in under an hour by myself. One I had previously cut the "V", the other two I had to do before removing. I did it by myself, but a second person would be helpful. When I removed the metal covers, I just lifted them onto the roof and left them there.

It was a good opportunity to wax under the slides covers. I also sprayed the upper seals with rubber seal conditioner.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Joe....Here is my post on how to do them easily Carefree Slide Topper Repair/Replace Read through the whole post, I added more photos at the end.

I had the old ones out in under an hour by myself. One I had previously cut the "V", the other two I had to do before removing. I did it by myself, but a second person would be helpful. When I removed the metal covers, I just lifted them onto the roof and left them there.

It was a good opportunity to wax under the slides covers. I also sprayed the upper seals with rubber seal conditioner.

Thanks Don! I'll "chew" on this a while!

Tags
awning