Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #1

Cargo carrier?

I am new to rving and would appreciate any feedback. I have a 31ft jayco greyhawk with a rubber roof and considering installing a roof top cargo carrier on top for extra storage. Is this a bad idea?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think I'd put anything like that on a rubber roof, but that's just me. How much "stuff" are you planning to carry up there?

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I would not punch any more holes than necessary on an RV roof.

Additionally, what about the weight?

Ken
Old 04-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #4

In addition to the issues noted above, how would it be secured and you can't add much height or you'll be too tall.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #5

I have some folding recliner chairs that take up alot of room in the basement and was looking at maybe storing them in a roof top carrier, not much weight maybe 30lbs. Not sure on how I would attach it. Fewer holes in the roof would be best. May look at a rear cargo carrier to carry them on my jeep. Thanks for the input
Old 04-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #6

We carry ours inside while on the road
Old 04-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawker View Post
I have some folding recliner chairs that take up alot of room in the basement and was looking at maybe storing them in a roof top carrier, not much weight maybe 30lbs. Not sure on how I would attach it. Fewer holes in the roof would be best. May look at a rear cargo carrier to carry them on my jeep. Thanks for the input
I forgot to say, "Welcome to the forum! " Why not put the chairs inside your Jeep while on the road? Also, I have seen attachments for RV ladders that will hold folding chairs on the back of the RV. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #8

Thanks for the welcome and the ideas.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #9

If you were going to store seldom used items, the roof top storage would be a viable option. IMHO, items like your chairs are used with enough frequency that all that climbing would be over the top...yeah, I know. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
If you were going to store seldom used items, the roof top storage would be a viable option. IMHO, items like your chairs are used with enough frequency that all that climbing would be over the top...yeah, I know. Bob
He's here all week, folks!!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #11

Hi, my name is Kim. I am Brian's girlfriend. We purchased our RV last October. We are in our EARLY forties and have decided that this is how we want to do a majority of our travel. As stated in an earlier post, we are trying to free up some room in our basement. It seems as though the 3 strato loungers take up just a little too much space. Ideally, we would like a locked storage box of some kind with the interior dimensions a miminum of 26" wide x 40" long and 19" tall. Since it doesn't sound like the roof top storage is the wisest idea, how about some kind of box(locking, of course) to hook into the hitch on either the Rv or the Jeep? We are running out of time. In 5 weeks we are taking off for a 3 week trip from the Midwest up the East Coast to visit 7 different ballparks. We are taking Brian's 17 year old son and want to make sure that we have enough space for everyone's things. Speaking of which, is there anything we should make sure to take or not take? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #12

I suggest you go to ebay and look up "hitch mount cargo carrier". These could be attached to the RV, and/or tow vehicle.

Some of them allow you to attach the carrier to the 2 inch hitch receiver, then an existing spud into the carrier, allowing the carrier to be between the RV and toad! Very nice.

Ed
Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #13

I found this enclosed hitch carrier...wow, it's BIG! And it still doesn't met your height requirements. As a Wrangler owner, I would think this thing hanging off the back of the Jeep would be in the way every time I needed to open the rear gate...what a pain. YMMV. I'm sure that they make adapters to hang one between the coach and your toad, but do you really want to crawl around a big carrier trying to hooking up your tow bar...especially if the tow bar stays mounted to the coach.

Given your short time frame to get everything ready, why not just use the rear cargo area of the Jeep to store your chairs until you figure out your best options(as already mentioned). It's a clean, lockable storage area and you don't have to deal with another expensive piece of equipment. JMHO. The older I get, I find that simplicity is a righteous path to minimal cost and effort...

Gotta take one of these if that 17 YO likes to eat. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe you could rent one of those car-top storage things from UHaul, and put it on top of the Jeep. One thing you need to be mindful of with all this "storage" is your weight limits of the motorhome and hitch. Be safe.