Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-24-2015, 06:08 AM   #1
cargo door repair??? need info please

07 Beaver Marquis. I have a cargo door that I dented turning into spot (short post I didn't see) anyway, I am being told that the door has to be replaced as it is aluminium. Body shop says that the material has "no memory" and can not be straightened or bondo added and repaired. $2400!!!! Anyone ever have an experience with repairing this type door? Thanks in advance for any responses.

safe travels all

FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #2
Might consider a Motor Home Salvage yard

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Yes I've done this.

My wife did the same thing in 2013, pulling out of a filling station she flattened the top hinge portion of 3 doors (and bent the slide trim), put deep scratches on 2 doors and bent 1 door. I ended up repairing myself, my guess it would have been +$5K to have shop repair, maybe more due to slide trim.

I bought a piece of the hinge that attached to the door from Monaco (enough to do 4 doors). The portion that attached to the side of the motorhome was not available (unless I wanted to buy 20 pieces), so I had to buy a ~7' piece from a salvage yard (for twice the price was what I had to pay Monaco for 1/2 as much length)

I replaced the hinge portion on the 2 doors first. I painted the hinge pieces before installing. This was to get the coach useable as the doors were just barely hanging on.

The next year I removed the 3rd door which had a pretty deep dent in it close to one side top to bottom and the hinge damaged. I removed the hinge and then clamped the door to my table saw and then used wood blocks to protect the metal and clamps to bend the edge back straight. I got 90% of the dent out doing this. Sanded the door down and then used Bondo on the visible portion of the remaining dent. I used piece of the door hinge that I was able to salvage from the old door to repair hinge. Reinstalled the 3rd door.

I then sanded the remaining areas of deep scratches down to bare metal, and then painted the 3 (of 4) colors that my coach is. Total cost for me to fix the 3 doors and hinge was ~$600 ($90 for new hinge pieces, $150 for used piece of hinge, $300 for paint and clear coat, plus misc supplies)

The overall job turned out pretty good considering this is the first time I've tried to do this. I showed it to my brother who has restored numerous cars and motorcycles and he had a hard time finding the spot.

Anyway, long story short you have 3 choices.
  1. Remove the door and have it repaired if the metal can be halfway straightened and use bondo then paint.
  2. Remove the door, have the sheet metal stripped off and new metal bent and reinstalled. The metal is probably held on with 2 sided adhesive tape (that's how mine is). the hinge portions are held on with rivets on front and back, they will have to be drilled out so the hinge metal can be removed. Then repaint the door.
  3. Buy a salvage door and have it repainted, I got a quoted from Visione Auto Mart in KY for a replacement door, they wanted $500 for my size door which was ~20" wide, it would have had to be repainted.
The estimated cost you got to repair seems high, if you are using an RV dealer to do this they know they can charge whatever they want.

Try finding a local body shop and see if they can do the job, it is not rocket science.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would find a local body shop. Check if your insurance company has a recommendation. Many auto parts are aluminum and repaired regularly.
2011 Serrano 31X, 2006 CR-V
Denniscw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine is in the shop for the same repair. $6,900 but I turned it into the insurance. Shop said I tweaked the chassis a.c. condenser so that needed to be replaced. Insurance hemmed and hawed on condenser but agreed to pick up the tab minus $150 deductible. As the shop is a "preferred shop" for Progressive. Better pick it up tomorrow and we will see about the work then.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Aluminum is difficult to repair properly and some shops don't want to deal with it. They better get used to it, though - cars and trucks are getting more aluminum panels all the time, e.g. the new Ford f150.

Call around for a body shop (not an RV dealer) that knows how to work aluminum. If you can, take the door off yourself so you can just carry it to the shop. That will give you more options (shop doesn't need space for a 40 footer).

Where are you located? Maybe somebody can recommend a shop near you.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
This last winter, mine popped open while backing next to a snow bank. Needless to say, it was crumpled.

I ordered a new door from Forest River (I want to say it was around 3 or 400 dollars, but I'm not at home now and can't look it up). I then took the new door with the MH to the local body shop where they removed the old door. I gave them the new one and asked them to match it. I returned in a week for them to put the new one on. Can't tell it was replaced.

Ken & Laurie
Northern Ohio
2015 Berkshire 400QL
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #8
Beaver Motorhome Parts RV Exterior Body Panels Used RV Parts For Sale | visonerv.com
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:09 AM   #9
cargo door

Thanks for replys guys. I have taken the door off and went to two body shops no luck. I had same thought about the new ford pickups. Thanks for post on RV body parts. I'll call them. Headed to Rocky Point Mexico. I've had several body things done down there. I am thinking they can do it but if not I'll have to replace door but not at $2400.

safe travels all

FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote

door, repair