Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #1

carlisle tires - bad news?

We purchased a used fifth wheel and I did not think to question the tires. After reading a few, actually many, horror stories about carlisle tires, I am thinking I need to get new tires in a hurry.

Anyone with any experience with carlisle tires?

Is this the right forum for this question?

Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
You can check country of origin by punching the first 2 digits of the DOT code from the tire into the NHTSA website. Search Manufacturers Database | Manufacturers Information
I tried to find trailer tires not made in China (they have a disturbing catastrophic failure rate) and the aforementioned had some tires not made in China.
Our trailer is light enough I could use Micheline passenger tires 80,000 mile warranty works great.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #3

What a sad state this country is in with the loss of manufacturing.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #4

Nuts - getting new

I just looked at the trailer again and there were two different tire manufactures and different load ratings as well as different tire pressures, 65 for one 80 for the other. Also saw some hairline cracks near the rim.

Will be getting new tires tomorrow, all the same from a local dealer with an excellent rep.

Nothing like having a blowout or two and being not only stranded but damaged.

If I can possibly avoid it I do not buy anything from China for reasons metioned.

Live and learn. If you live long enough.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=Greytraveler;1307273]

If I can possibly avoid it I do not buy anything from China for reasons metioned.

X2! I never "own" anything I buy from China as failure is imminent.

I had two (2) Carlisle tires fail on my Karr Kaddy SS. One was one year old the other almost three. I now have Maxiss tires that were not made in China. If you Google "China tire bombs" you'll find some interesting post's. Oh, both failure took out the fenders and the last one damaged my car. Sometimes cheap is just that.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
maxxis would be the best you can buy for a trailer tire!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tires

The last tire that fell apart on me was a 5 year old Carlisle. I was towing a 2001 29' Arctic Fox to Primm, Nevada for the new owner to pick up.

I know you didn't ask for this but maybe I can save you a headache or two down the road.

In my 40+ years of RV'ing I have formed the following opinions:

Goodyear Marathons are junk. (I had 4 out of 5 fail on my Arctic Fox)
Chinese trailer tires are junk.
ST (special trailer) tires are mostly junk. Most of them are Chinese regardless of what brand they are.

I put Michelin RIBS on my last fifth wheel. Pricy, but not likeley to fail until they are ancient. But you may not be able to find RIBS in a size to fit your Fox.

Many trailers and fifth wheels come with LT (light truck) tires as original equipment. They work great, but i would not use an aggressive mud & snow or offload tire. Most Chinese LT tires are of suspect quality.

If a tire guy tried to sell me ST tires or Chinese tires I would go elsewhere. They push them because they make 2x the profit on Chinese junk.

Get a tire pressure monitoring system. I had good luck with a Hawkshead 8 sensor system. IF you're even thinking of a TPMS with external sensors have the tire installers put on metal valve stems.

Happy RV'ing!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
What a sad state this country is in with the loss of manufacturing.
Actually manufacturing has been making a comeback, I understand that in some parts of the nation they can't find enough tool and die makers, for example.

I've seen several articles where manufacturers are bringing production back to the U.S. Perhaps Carlisle will finally see the light and move more production back to the US.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have had Maxxis on my 20ft enclosed trailer for 6 years and they look like new with no irregular tire wear. On my tow dolly the Carlisle tires are only two years and the tires look like I ran them down railroad tracks. I am in the process of switching to Maxxis for the tow dolly. Why in the world can't America produce some quality tires that are comparable to price as those made overseas? We need to get back to being a manufacturing country not a consumer country.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStar38 View Post
I have had Maxxis on my 20ft enclosed trailer for 6 years and they look like new with no irregular tire wear. On my tow dolly the Carlisle tires are only two years and the tires look like I ran them down railroad tracks. I am in the process of switching to Maxxis for the tow dolly. Why in the world can't America produce some quality tires that are comparable to price as those made overseas? We need to get back to being a manufacturing country not a consumer country.
For me at least they would not have to be the same price or close. I'm willing to pay a good bit more for quality. I think most of us would. America still makes complex goods better than anyone. I love feeling the pride of ownership that something made well provides. Just give us a choice!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree, if the tires were of superior quality I would have no qualms in paying more. Skimping on tires on our MH is by far a no-way. Getting a flat on a 20,000 lb plus vehicle at interstate road speeds is something I do not desire to experience.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStar38
I agree, if the tires were of superior quality I would have no qualms in paying more. Skimping on tires on our MH is by far a no-way. Getting a flat on a 20,000 lb plus vehicle at interstate road speeds is something I do not desire to experience.
If we would all stop shooting ourselves in the a . .foot and stop buying Chinese anything, the problem with outsourcing would slowly be mitigated. I love Wally World when they thought made in America would help them, and slowly but surely squeezed all their vendors into moving overseas or chapter7. I also want only American- made tires, also American- made everything else that I can but it' s damn near impossible on many items. How about a new thread " I found and bought American- made" ?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #13

Ford was far from being a perfect man, but I do like this thought:

There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible.
Henry Ford

Then, there is also the quote that used to be seen in Baskin-Robins stores:

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey."

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires