Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Carpet Care?

What are some of the cleaning products do you use for cleaning your carpets? We have some stains where the rollers for the slide outs roll and rest on the carpet when stored/traveling and where when serviced the shop people don't have the cleanest shoes. We have tried Orange Clean, Mean Green, Resolve High Traffic and none really 'get er done'. Carpet in good condition other than that, so not wanting to replace.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck & Kathy.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use Awesome that you can get at the dollar store. I spray any affected areas litely, let it set just a bit < then a minute and dab with microfibre cloth then again litely scrub in a couple of directions to lift the nap. Has worked so far for us. One spot from previous owner (probably spaghetti sauce) has been a work in progress but slowly dissapearing. Our carpet still looks good. We vacuum at least every other day as well.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The carpet in the 92 motorhome is in great shape, surely has been replaced but if so everything was removed and redone. I haven't found any telltale signs of any other kind anywhere..

The hallway has some wear but it will be ok. I bought a roll of carpet protector that has a sticky back. If we are working on it or taking it in I put it all over the carpet to protect it. It really works great.

We haven't gotten to use the motorhome yet as we are working on lots of stuff in it. But I'm thinking of putting and leaving this protector on the steps at the door as they are all carpeted and it will catch the dirt.

It's a very thick carpet, probably expensive and I have a heck of a time getting my very good sweeper over it but at some point we will remove it and go laminate, tile or somthing. The issue will be matching. The bathroom is ceramic, but the kitchen/dining is hardwood going to be hard to match.

On cleaning spots I will somtime put ammonia in a small amount of water, and either use a microfiber cloth or spray bottle, you would be surprised the spots that will take up and clean. No rinsing required either.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You might try an Auto Upholstery Cleaner(for cloth)in a can. I used some on a roller stain on our carpet...worked well. Afterward, I used a lot of fresh water to rinse and a wet vac to suck it up. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 on Totally Awesome cleaner/degreaser from 99 cent store. Have tried many different cleaners, this one works.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spaghetti Sauce

One of the best things I've found for removing 'organic' stains is hydrogen peroxide. Strangely enough, windex removes red wine stains like magic.

Awesome orange is almost too good. It leaves an ultra clean spot that might be more conspicuous than the original spill. It also works on black streaks better than 'Black Streak Remover' and it's not nearly as hard on your skin.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
What are some of the cleaning products do you use for cleaning your carpets? We have some stains where the rollers for the slide outs roll and rest on the carpet when stored/traveling and where when serviced the shop people don't have the cleanest shoes. We have tried Orange Clean, Mean Green, Resolve High Traffic and none really 'get er done'. Carpet in good condition other than that, so not wanting to replace.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck & Kathy.
The wife uses dawn dish detergent to remove oil or grease stains from my cloths and it works like a charm, what she does is this poor the soap on the dirty area and scrub it and let it sit untill the next day and then with a hand brush and some hot water everything comes out even oil stains, give that a try and you will see how great the results are. Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Totally awesome is totally awesome and only a dollar. Jim
Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
All for the responses. Looks as a trip to the Dollar store is in tomorrows game plan.
Chuck & Kathy
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #10

Ok I have to confess that today I drove past a dollar store and I thought about the product you guys were talking about and I went in and bought a couple of bottles and as soon I got to the Rv I tryed it ou and I must say that shi$$$ is awesome it removes all stains, now my question is this. Why is that stuff so cheap if it works so good? I want to tank you guys for that. Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tried it on a whim, didn't know if it was cleaner or colored water.

I could not believe the results on so many different things on the RV. I used it with magic erasers to clean my white vinyl dash and captain chairs, it pulled all the dirt right out of the crevices.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cheap

Awesome is cheap because the spray bottles are CRAP! I have yet to have one where the sprayer doesn't break before the liquid runs out.

It's still one of the best cleaning products around. (don't tell my brother-in-law the ZEP salesman I said that)
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #13

X whatever. From bass boat to cars to rv it really works!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #14

Yea, Awesome is good for a lot of things but don't use it on the fiberglass or gel coat, it takes off the shine and you never get it back. I have used it diluted for black streaks. Folex carpet & upholstery cleaner is the best for carpets, have used it at the house & rv.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote