Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would like to clean carpets in the RV...Anyone ever used a carpet shampoo machine to clean carpet...if so....would appreciate pros / cons and your results

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would like to clean carpets in the RV...Anyone ever used a carpet shampoo machine to clean carpet...if so....would appreciate pros / cons and your results

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:48 AM   #3

I have a bissel green machine, use it 2-3 times a year, without any problems, and the carpet still looks new
marleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #4

We have had our carpet cleaned with a cleaning machine and then also rented a cleaning machine and done it ourselves. No problems that I know of either way. The only thing is Winnebago uses the absolute cheapest carpet on the planet and that means no matter how careful you are one toenail even touching the carpet makes it mangy looking again.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:18 AM   #5

In your motor home it is more critical to not overwet the carpet and to set out fans to dry it our quickly.

There are many metal, laminate and glued up parts that over time will deteriorate if the dampness is not kept in check.

You would be amazed to see what copper electrical connectors look like when exposed to somthing as simple as extended exposure to household ammonia vapors.

When I bought my coach they rushed to clean the carpet and left it wet. When I picked it up days later it was still wet. I put out a couple of fans and a little over an hour later it was dry. I should have refused delivery as now the headliner is showing signs of damage at the ceiling panel joints from this event. If LazyDays had provided their detail crew the fans and made it a policy to use them to accelerate the drying times my coach would be in better shape today.

I also have a Bissel Green Machine which I regularly use to keep my carpet clean and fresh. Just remember to put out a few fans and ventilate to speed up the drying process.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:17 AM   #6

When we puchased our coach new, I found a beautiful carpet to put down that matched the colors. When we pull in the rooms, we fold it over on both sides. When I bring it up, our carpet is just like the day we got it. Nothing makes a coach look old like nasty carpet. I did the same thing on our last two coaches. When we sold them they looked like new. Besides it is fun to look for pretty room rugs.
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Since this isn't Winnebago specific, moving to general discussion for better exposure.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
paz

We had success cleaning our motorhome carpet using the Capture system, available at most home improvement centers. With Capture, you spray the carpet with a "pre-cleaner" then brush in a dry powder. After everything dries (about a half hour, you vacuum up the powder. The pre-cleaner loosens the dirt and the powder soaks it up. This system keeps the carpet from getting overly wet. The only drawback is you need a pretty good vacuum cleaner to get all the powder out of the carpet.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:26 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paz:
We had success cleaning our motorhome carpet using the Capture system, available at most home improvement centers. With Capture, you spray the carpet with a "pre-cleaner" then brush in a dry powder. After everything dries (about a half hour, you vacuum up the powder. The pre-cleaner loosens the dirt and the powder soaks it up. This system keeps the carpet from getting overly wet. The only drawback is you need a pretty good vacuum cleaner to get all the powder out of the carpet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like Capture and even had the machine at one time. It is expensive and is considered a maintenance product so it is designed for regular use.

The theory is that if you keep up with the high traffic areas the residual powder will get tracked throughout the area and keep the rest of the carpet looking cleaner.

One caution is that Capture is really good as a paint remover. Don't let it get on the woodwork I had it remove the finish and bleach the stain off one item.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:28 AM   #10
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
One caution is that Capture is really good as a paint remover. Don't let it get on the woodwork I had it remove the finish and bleach the stain off one item. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wasn't aware of this. I got plenty on the wood cabinets, walls, and vinyl tile and saw no damage. Maybe I was lucky.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 AM   #11

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
What? Nobody calls Stanley Steemer?
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #12

We have a local carpet cleaner that uses a "dry clean" method. I don't know the specifics, but he uses a large floor buffer with lambs wool pads on it after lightly hand spraying the carpeting. He does the corners and tight areas with hand-sized wool pads. Drawback is, kinda spendy compared to the standard $45 per room companies.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote