Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2016, 12:31 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Carrying a spare tire

I am buying a new DP motorhome and a spare tire will not fit in any of the storage bins. I suppose one could be mounted on the roof although getting it up there would be quite a challenge. If a front tire blew out, I assume I could swap it out with one of the back tires. Do you think it is worthwhile to carry a spare tire?

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 12:33 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had 1 Class A MH and 3 DP's over the last 18 years. During that time I've never had a blowout or even a flat!
I keep good tires (Michelin only) under the rig and check the pressure everyday although now I let the TPMS do that chore.
Would be impossible for us anyway as we had large tires (365/70 front and tag, 315/80's drive axle) so no way to carry those tires even on the roof since we have solar panels up there and no ladder.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:05 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"RV Vagabond".....If you get a chance, take a look underneath. I know my sister's Itasca Meridian and other Winnebago products built on the Freightliner XC chassis had open frames. My sister was able to get a spare to fit between the frame rails.

I've been RVing for 40 years and never had a flat on the road. I'm finicky and replace tires sooner than most on my vehicles, but I've always carried a spare, including an unmounted spare in my last DP, a Monaco Diplomat........probably why I've never had a flat.

My new coach doesn't have room for a spare, but I have a tag and feel comfortable with making something work using the tag, including placing an odd tire on the tag.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:12 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Search and will find dozens of threads regarding whether to spare or not. Lots of folks on both sides of the answer.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry a spare but tire size is 19". With your 22's there is a lot of weight there, road side assistance would be your best bet. IMO.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:07 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same issue bothering me. I had a Class A few years ago. Had Michlens all the way around. 2 blowouts in 4 years- so they do blow.

Now I always carry a spare (mounted or unmounted). But with our new moho I can find nowhere to store or mount a spare on the rig or on the tow dolly. The Roadmaster set up is a bit too pricey and too much for my need. Just want to have one handy for roadside service when the time comes.

This is a real concern for me having been there. Have lost 3 tires to blowouts total over the past 35 years (2 on the older Class A and one on a TT) so its a real concern.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Soon after we got our current Class A DP we planned a trip to Alaska. In case of a flat somewhere on the Alcan you could be stranded for days waiting on a tire. If the flat was bad enough you could also ruin the rim. Doing our research I decided to carry a mounted spare (and the tools to change it). At that time I didn't tow a car so I made a spare tire carrier that fit in the rear trailer hitch.

When we did start towing a car I modified the carrier to use with a dual hitch, tow bar in the lower hole and carrier in the top. One issue though was that I had to use and extension to get enough distance behind the coach. Ultimately the dragging causes the weld to fail, luckily if failed in a fuel station.

I since modified the carrier, making a completely separate support that comes off the 2 main frame rails of the chassis. It is completely separate from the hitch and the spare tire rides high enough to allow for towing the vehicle.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
I am buying a new DP motorhome and a spare tire will not fit in any of the storage bins. I suppose one could be mounted on the roof although getting it up there would be quite a challenge. If a front tire blew out, I assume I could swap it out with one of the back tires. Do you think it is worthwhile to carry a spare tire?
I have not had a spare tire for the 9 years I have owned our current rig. Some day it may bite me but for now it is still ok. You will need equipment other than the tire if you want to be self sufficient. Like a torque multiplier for example. Maybe even a spare dude in the bay to help you lift it.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I carry a unmounted spare in my toad. It fits where the 3rd row of seats are when folded down. 195,000 miles and never needed it. I know for sure if I leave it home the first trip I take I'll need it and will end up paying an inflated price for a new one.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Vagabond-

No experience- just what I read on iRV2. We had one in our former Class C, mounted in a compartment on the rear (think 1950s/60s cars), and never had an occasion to take it out.

Spare or no spare is a cost/convenience/space/weight trade-off. If you have a road-service contract (CoachNet, Good Sam, etc.), read it for what they have to say about coverage.

"Dutch Star Don's" suggestion (which is to try and use available empty space) is a great one. If you find yourself looking at the Roadmaster product, here's a link to a Google search for posts on iRV2 with the terms "Roadmaster," "spare" and "carrier" in them.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #11

Have you tried to lift a 22.5 tire/wheel? There are people who have the tools and strength to that. Remember trucks go everywhere and there are tire services for them. You may not like to equate your tires to a truck, but they are.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have ERS on the MH. If a blow out ever happens. The ERS can bring you a tire.
In over 16 years of Full time I have needed to do that one time.
And NO they didn't rip me off on the tire price. Actually it was cheaper then rest of the replacements.

After that I quit buying Michelin tires. And have had no problem since.

If you can find a place to carry a spare if never needed then it will have to be replaced $$$ for age sometime.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #13

Quote:
If a front tire blew out, I assume I could swap it out with one of the back tires. Do you think it is worthwhile to carry a spare tire?
As a thought you might be concerned about overloading the rear tire - when you remove one for the front. That said I did remove an outer dually to put on the front many years ago on a 1977 Vogue.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you were talking about my belly!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote