Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Carrying alcohol in the RV

I have a question regarding carrying alcohol in the RV. Full -sealed beer cans. Open liquor bottles in the cupboard. Empty beer cans. I usually will get rid of any empty beer cans prior to traveling. However, there are cold ones in the frig. State to State what are the laws? - Has anyone had any problems with law enforcement on this? I'd appreciate any comments.
Thanks
Scott
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #2

I cannot imagine that would ever be a problem. At least it has never been a problem for us.
safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
In 18 years of having a Class C to a Class A I have never had anyone even ask besides customs entering/leaving the USA to Canada. We have been stopped at safety check points, but nobody ever asked to enter the coach or if we were carrying alcohol.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Someone can correct me, but I have heard there is one county in Mississippi that is dry and the cops will stop RV's and levy a big fine if they find alcohol. Just what I heard. Other than that, no, don't believe there are any problems.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think that as long as an open container(should say a container that has been opened) is inside a cabinet there would be any problem. In any vehicle, an open container laying next to you or in plain sight could be a problem in most states. However, one would have to comment some infraction to justify a LEO's need to access the interior of anyone's RV in the first place. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Most States only are concerned if the open container is in the front of the coash, as in the driver or co-pilot seat. Someone can sit at the dinette and eat and drink while underway. Of course now we are in the seat belt problem.
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
today, on one of the forums, someone posted that Myrtle Beach State Park requires you to sign an affidavit that you have no ETOH on board. FWIW, & YMMV.
ed
eieioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #8

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
So your saying having my keg-o- rator between the front seats is a bad idea? Just kidding of course! We've never had a problem and the fridge keeps the beer cold, the cabinet keeps the Beam at room temp.

Ron & Wendy 94 Pace Arrow 454
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandjean View Post
Has anyone had any problems with law enforcement on this?
No.

The only problem you may encounter is if you get stopped by law enforcement and they find an opened can/bottle within reach of the driver.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Someone can correct me, but I have heard there is one county in Mississippi that is dry and the cops will stop RV's and levy a big fine if they find alcohol. Just what I heard. Other than that, no, don't believe there are any problems.
I have lived in dry counties in NC. This how it is in NC, You can have possesion of alchol but you can not sell or buy alcohol in the county. Don't know about the MS laws, but most areas that are dry means you can't buy it there, it does not mean you can't posses it in the county unless in a state or county public area. Of course the DUI or DWI is always in effect also. I never had a problem carrying it in the RV anywhere as long as it is not in the drivers or front passengers area.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #11

We have been to some State Parks and County fair grounds that had no alcohol policies. No one has ever asked if we had any except at Canadian border.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #12

Quote:
today, on one of the forums, someone posted that Myrtle Beach State Park requires you to sign an affidavit that you have no ETOH on board. FWIW, & YMMV.
ed
We go to Myrtle beach every year. ETOH, FWIW, YMMV ? care to decode these short forms?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #13

Your motor home is your home. It requires a search warrent to enter. Tell the officer to piss off w/o a warrent.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #14

The dry county laws in Mississippi are in fact only related to the purchase and consumption. It is not illegal to have in your possession while traveling through the county. Been a Mississippi resident for over 50 years and have never heard of anyone being arressted for having alcohol in their possession while traveling through a designated dry area. Having said all of this some state wildlife management areas prohibit the possession and consumption of alcohol and some of these areas do have camping facilities.
bobbyl is offline   Reply With Quote