Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #1

Carrying/Pulling Motorcycle with Fifth Wheel

We are going to get an RV...undecided on motorhome or fifth wheel. I have a Goldwing that weighs about 900 pounds that I want to take on our travels. I have a trailer for the Wing that I can pull behind a motorhome, but know of no way to do so with a fifth wheel. Anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know of a solution? Thank you. BTW I am learning a lot from you all and, once we get our RV, I'm sure I will have lots to share from a rookies view.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimhigh46 View Post
We are going to get an RV...undecided on motorhome or fifth wheel. I have a Goldwing that weighs about 900 pounds that I want to take on our travels. I have a trailer for the Wing that I can pull behind a motorhome, but know of no way to do so with a fifth wheel. Anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know of a solution? Thank you. BTW I am learning a lot from you all and, once we get our RV, I'm sure I will have lots to share from a rookies view.
I saw a platform that attaches to the rear bumper of a 5th and has one or there could be two swiveling wheels on the rear of the platform. So it is not considered a trailer and is unitized to your 5th so you can back your 5th as if it weren't there except for the clearance the extra length requires. Can't tell you where to buy it but I did see that with in the last couple of years.
Hope this helps

Loren

Old 11-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Look here The ultimate single wheel trailer system. for a photo........
Old 11-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #4

We have Idaho Tote connected to our Carriage Fifth Wheel. We've used it to haul our GL-1500 and now use it for our Smart Car. There are several things to think about if you go that direction.

1. There are a range of products, and I'm sure one or more will fit your needs. The less expensive units have smaller wheels and less suspension. The more distance you're planning to travel (which unfortunately also dictates you'll have some rougher road stretches) and the higher you load it will dictate which performance unit you'll want.
2. You'll want to look at how you're particular loading will affect the fifth wheel framing. Its usually not a problem; if you can plan ahead and get the hitch properly mounted and the frame beefed up if neccessary.
3. There is a rear swing out penalty because there is a greater length behind the fifth wheel rear wheels. Ours swings out about three feet when making a sharp turn. Again not a problem once recognized; you just have to plan ahead.
4. I've never had a legal issue perse; and we've been in states east and west. But some officers don't know exactly how to categorize it. Our unit is bolted to the fifth wheel so it physically becomes part of the fifth wheel and doesn't have its own tag (the tag of the fifth wheel is moved to the "trailer"). In New York one tollway operator called the patrol. After much discussion the powers that be decided it was okay. The officer said it was "legal" but recommended we travel on the non-tollway interstates just to avoid confusion.

Good Luck

Greg
Old 11-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some 5th wheel frames say to put no more than a few hundred pounds of bikes on the rear.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #6

Have you checked out high end Toy Haulers? That is how I carry my motorcycles etc in a fiver. We don't want for anything as far as comfort or equipment.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #7

I see fifth wheelers triple towing all the time with golf carts.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of 5ers have very little frame in the rear and are limited to what you can hang on the back.

Some states allow towing behind your 5er (double towing), some do not.

Some states will still consider the swivel wheel trailer as a trailer and do not allow them.

Some states require a license endorsement to double tow.

You need to check the states where you live as well as plan to travel.

The easiest thing to do is to get a nice toy hauler and load the bike up.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #9

If you go the toyhauler route research the ramp angle. I have observed friends units with different ramps and it makes a big difference in the angle going up or down. One friend has to unhook and raise up the front of the fiver to reduce the angle of the ramp.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have a cycle, but I have a Mh and how a small up and load my ATV in the back of the truck easy way to go.
Okrver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
I use a Hydralift to carry my Harley Ultra. Works well but not all manufactures of fifth wheels are capable of handling this unit. Mine is on a Peterson Excel and they do offer this as a factory option. Although some of the toy haulers are very nice I went with this because I did not want the added length of a toy hauler.

Do a search for Hydralift over in the Excel Owners forum and you will find more info on the lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0516.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	50674  
Old 11-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #12

We chose MH, and hauled our bike in the back of the pkup we towed.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went with a Toy Hauler too...keep the bike inside, clean and safe.

Towables are great and can be purchased from entry level to luxury levels
Or
A Toy Hauler motorhome offers a great option...see:
Class "A" Toyhaulers
For Class A's

And, there are several models in Class C, Super C, and HDT conversions.

The garage in these RV's can be multi purpose room as needed for the owners different trips - guest room, dog kennel, shop, moving van, party patio, rain proof entertainment room, etc...we have used our garage for all these things!

We used to have a TT - and before that, we had a pop-top with a front deck on the tow tongue for the bike. They were all very usable, but the motorhome is so nice to have it all in 1 vehicle - and we can still tow a car or trailer if wanted.

Best luck on your quest.
Steve and Kim, '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
Great views from this Fully Furnished, Detached, 2 Story RV, 1 Bedroom loft, 1 Bath, Attached Garage, and Fireplace in over 400 sq ft.
Mustang LCDR (Ret) - Sempre Paratus, Always Pirates
Scarab0088 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcr1218 View Post
I use a Hydralift to carry my Harley Ultra. Works well but not all manufactures of fifth wheels are capable of handling this unit. Mine is on a Peterson Excel and they do offer this as a factory option. Although some of the toy haulers are very nice I went with this because I did not want the added length of a toy hauler.

Do a search for Hydralift over in the Excel Owners forum and you will find more info on the lift.
The problem I had with the Excel is that the lift is only offered on the shorter trailers, 34 maximum length. For full timing that was less than I wanted. With five more inches of frame, 10 inch frame on the Excel vs. 15 on the DRV, the DRV Suites was a choice that works for me.

psaint is offline   Reply With Quote