Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #1

We are going to B.C. very soon & need to find out what forms are needed to declare shotgun, ammo, laptop, TV etc on both sides of the border. Any help appreciated as trying to find good info has been hard. Finding the rules is easy...

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #2

We are going to B.C. very soon & need to find out what forms are needed to declare shotgun, ammo, laptop, TV etc on both sides of the border. Any help appreciated as trying to find good info has been hard. Finding the rules is easy...

Old 05-05-2006, 03:17 PM   #3

I believe that U.S. and Canada customs both have web sites, but I don't know the URL's. Carrying any type of firearm into Canada can be a bit iffy, unless you are going to a hunting camp somewhere. Likely to bring a good deal of scrutiny to bear. Whatever you do DON'T try to conceal the fact that you have it aboard if you go. I am an active police officer in Michigan and can carry a handgun virtually anywhere within the U.S., but wouldn't even consider crossing into Canada with one unless on official business. They are a bit more lenient on rifles and shotguns however. Never "test" the customs agents (U.S. or Canadian) they simply don't have a sense of humor.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:55 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't own a firearm so I don't whether there are any fees associated with bringing a firearm into Canada. Here's a link to the Canada Firearms Centre and on this page you'll find two forms that apparently need to be completed.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #5

I have A CCW permit but am not taking a handgun on this trip as they are totally illegal in Canada. I have been to the websites for both countries and downloaded the forms for shotgun/rifle(in triplicate) from Canadian site but still have no information about declaring items in the U.S. & Canada before crossing so you aren't taxed on them when you cross back. Good simple info is hard to come by....I'll try calling about weapon & declaring goods if no one has done it before from the site...

Old 05-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It is generally unnecessary to declare items you own ahead of time, but its a good idea to carry sales receipts or other proof for new or nearly new high dollar items (cameras, jewelry, etc.), just in case you are asked where you bought them. That generally won't happen to tourists unless you trigger the customs agents ire for some reason.
We have crossed several times in western Canada and the question was never raised.

There was a C$50 fee for the permit to bring a long gun into Canada in 2002, last time we crossed. We crossed back and forth between Canda and Alaska 3-4 times and had to show the permit each time. It was good for 6 months, if I remember correctly.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #7

Gary, Thank You for the reply. I had heard the U.S. Customs may be hard to get past coming back, hence the declaring (with U.S.) before crossing, especially shotgun coming into U.S. If I don't find an answer we may park the RV on this side & day trip into Canada but would rather spend a week or two there.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:14 AM   #8

I can tell you after many yrs. of travelling across the border into Canada from the Seattle area, the answer is an emphatic NO!

Do not take ANY firearm with you entering Canada. Rifle, shotgun, pistol, it doesn't matter. Only way it is ever done is if you are going to a specific sporting/shooting event, then get ready to fill out a ton of forms and get pre-approved.

The Canadian border police are not even allowed to be armed. There have been several incidents lately at the B.C. crossing where the border guards have left their posts because they were warned that armed felons from the U.S. were expected to try to cross into Canada at Blaine, WA.

Mike T.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:15 AM   #9

Canadians have a very different outlook on firearms than some U.S. residents.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Non-restricted (most common rifles and shotguns): These may generally be imported for purposes such as hunting, protection from wild animals in remote wilderness areas where firearms are allowed, or target-shooting. They may also be taken in transit through Canada by a reasonably direct route. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That shows that it is possible to bring a gun into Canada as long as you have a specific use. It is from: Visitors and firearms

It is a good idea to read that page because it has other reminders as well.

{{{{Had this been moved to the Canadian Section, some of us who check there would have seen it earlier}}}}
Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:02 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Canadian border police are not even allowed to be armed. There have been several incidents lately at the B.C. crossing where the border guards have left their posts because they were warned that armed felons from the U.S. were expected to try to cross into Canada at Blaine, WA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Lockman... The Canadian border crossing guards are going to be allowed to wear side arms in the very near future.
Seems our new Government realizes the need for added protection in these turbulent times.

I say...It's About Time!!!!

As for your Guns....best to leave them home.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:41 AM   #11

You most definetly are allowed to bring a rifle or shotgun into Canada by filling out Form 909 in triplicate. Just looking for more information from those that have done it recently.....Be kinda hard to hunt without one or protect yourself when wilderness camping...

Old 05-06-2006, 08:44 AM   #12

The specific sporting or shooting event will also allow for handguns which is a BIG NO NO in Canada. I'm just trying to follow the law on both sides s I have to come back across also...

Old 05-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The shotgun we had belonged to my buddy, so I didn't fil out the forms myself. However, we were not going to any "shooting event" - just fishing in Canadian and Alaskan waters. It's common to encounter bears when the salmon are running and protection against bears is sufficient reason to obtain a permit in that part of Canada. Might not be sufficient reason if you were going to spend a week in Toronto, though.

There was no problem returning (and this was post-9/11), but it always pays to have the i's dotted and t's crossed, just in case a question arises.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #14

Thanks Gary, Just want to make sure all is covered. I have nothing to hide and am trying to be as totally legal as possible coming & going.