Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Cash vs. Credit card

Wondering what most folks use while traveling, credit cards or cash. We are planning a 4-5 week trip and thought about bringing a good amount of cash with us for campground fees and entertainment, using credit card for gas. Are we being naive? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
larryjeans
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #2

Credit card... don't like to flash cash...
USMC1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
srh

Newmar Owners Club
I would prefer Credit Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjeans View Post
Wondering what most folks use while traveling, credit cards or cash. We are planning a 4-5 week trip and thought about bringing a good amount of cash with us for campground fees and entertainment, using credit card for gas. Are we being naive? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
larryjeans
Use credit card because:
1. You can get reward points, for example I have one that I get 1.5% cash on any purchase. That adds up!
2. There are some special credit cards, like the cash reward from PenFed that you can get 5% cash on gas purchase. The only catch is you have to pay at the pump.
3. Lastly, it is much safer to have a credit card than cash. If you lose a credit card it is easily replaceable without too much trouble. If you lose your cash, not much chance of getting any of it back.
So, I use my credit card all the time even for small purchases.
I hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Credit card for most everything except small purchases. And usually carry a couple three hundred in cash.

Cash back cards for fuel purchases - PenFed cc (5%) and BofA cc (3%). Southwest Credit Card to get airline points for all other purchases.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It depends where you're going. On a trip of two to three weeks, we'll bring about $300 in cash for an emergency, but primarily use credit cards for the reasons posted above. If you have an issue with a product or even a campground, you have some recourse.

When we go to Quartzsite, just for 5 days, I bring a large amount of cash, because a lot of the flea market vendors only take cash and you can sometimes get a better deal.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #6

I carry both. I don't like to depend on credit, and some small businesses appreciate cash as it doesn't bite into their profits like using a credit card does. Also I don't like to use credit cards at some gas stations that look a little shady. I know everything is protected and you can get a new one if it gets compromised, but
I travel to get away from the daily issues that come up and don't want to spend my time in a bank getting things fixed.

Just because you carry cash doesn't mean you have to "flash it'. I usually carry a couple hundred on me and leave the rest hidden in the MH. The only reason I would lose it is if my MH were to be stolen and at that point the cash would be the least of my worries. There's no right or wrong way to do it just personal preference. Now my wife on the other hand will live off the credit/debit cards and rarely carries over $10 in her wallet.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #7

Credit cards all the way! We usually only carry small amounts of cash and use ATMs when were need more
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I always use a Capital One credit card for the reward points. I pay it off monthly as much as possible. It's gotten me 2 free trips to Cancun.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:58 PM   #9

We've always used credit cards primarily and get a good chunk cash back savings. We pay it off in full every month so it doesn't cost us anything and is so much more convenient than cash. We rarely use cash for anything.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjeans View Post
Thanks,
larryjeans
You are not being naive. Do whatever makes you comfortable; there is no "better way". Like Mike said above, we carry both; it makes sense for us.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We carry about $400 cash on a trip across the country. Mostly for places that don't accept credit cards.

We use a credit card for everything as we can track the cost of a trip that way.

Be aware that you must notify your credit card company that you are travelling out of state. If you don't they will deny payment after their system determines something funny about your location.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:36 AM   #12

We use credit cards that give something back like a Cabela's Visa card or Discover card for diesel and pay it off every month. I generally carry $300 cash and the check book for state/federal parks. That seems to be the only checks we ever write these days. Places like Quartzsite like cash and you really can get better deals using it like others have mentioned. Your choice but it is really easy to track if you use one or two cards for purchases. I also use the Flying J/Pilot card when their convenient. It really comes down to personal preference but if you take lots of cash get a safe for your RV. Safe travels!

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:39 AM   #13

Credit, cash and checks here too. Credit card for safety, cashback discount, and ease of accountability. Checks for some campgrounds. Cash for small purchases, occasional gasoline purchases, restaurants, and emergencies.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:30 AM   #14
YC1

Two credit cards so when one puts a hold on yours you have a backup, or one gets hacked. Has happened several times. I call the CC company before traveling and let them know I will be making large diesel purchases. Works most of the time but not always.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote