Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Cast your vote for the WORST customer service

This one is going to be hard to top! I have a serious problem with my HWH air leveling system and called them about 10 AM yesterday. I was told to leave my name and number and a tech would call me back. I stayed at the CG all day because I wanted to be at the MH when they called back, with no call. I called them back late yesterday afternoon and got the same lady who told me I was on the call-back list and she did not know when it would be. I waited at the CG again all day today, but no call. I called back again and got the same lady and told her what I thought of their service. This time she told me that they had a 10-DAY WAITING PERIOD! I asked to speak to the General Manager and again had to leave my name and number!
If and when I ever buy a new MH you can be sure it WILL NOT have an HWH leveling system!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Isn't that frustrating?? I hate to tell you, but most of the other companies are equally annoying. Powergear won't talk to you AT ALL, but you can email them. Now isn't that just great if you're stranded somewhere and you can't get your jacks to come up.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of companies have had to do what they had to do to stay afloat. Power Gear chose to communicate through emails. They answer very fast and are very helpful. IMO , that beats a phone line that doesn't get answered. I have been stuck and they unstuck me.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have to agree with Cliff. Most RV suppliers can't handle individual customers of their products and must rely on their dealers to handle costs. At least powergear will answer emails quickly. They also keep all manuals, TS guides and install guides online.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
HWH also is doing costomer service through email. I always get a quick reply. www.hwhcorp.com

Why not state the model number and what the problem is in your next post. There are many here that have years of experience with HWH systems.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It's sad but there have been several threads lately discussing the significant drop in HWH phone support lately.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #7

If your stuck and without e mail chances, what you going to do? I guess get on the 10 day wait list while you sit at the curb or highway waiting for help to unstick yourself. Great way to run customer service...
Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
If your stuck and without e mail chances, what you going to do? I guess get on the 10 day wait list while you sit at the curb or highway waiting for help to unstick yourself. Great way to run customer service...
Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make. I emailed PowerGear last Saturday with a question and got an answer on Monday, which pretty much ended in "work through Fleetwood". In the meantime, I did a search on THIS SITE and found out what I needed to know.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we had HWH levelers on two different motorhomes, we never had an issue. Callled customer service and they replied promptly and professionally. That was over 10 years ago thought

As for delaers to AVOID is Cliff Jones in Sealy, TX....A coiled rattle snake is less crooked than that place.

Ken
Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unfortunately, customer service issues with RVs are not a new topic. I'm sorry to hear that you had such problems with HWH.

My vote for the worst customer service is still Freightliner. Their factory support is wonderful. Their dealer support - not so much. When I had several serious issues and had already paid large sums of money for them to be fixed, the Freightliner dealer service rep reminded me they were doing me a favor by even looking at my RV. He accepted no responsibility for the fact that I was paying and getting no results. He said that they had enough OTR business and that if I didn't like what was happening, I could just go elsewhere. I did. I've never had our RV back in a Freightliner dealer since.
I ended up fixing my broken speedometer myself. They weren't even close to the area of the cause of the problem.

We, as consumers, are sometimes in a situation like your HWH where we have no choice but to work with a "difficult" organization. If you assess your alternatives and don't find any, IMHO, it requires a complete reset in thinking. I find pleading a much more effective route. Sure, its demeaning but I don't loose sight of my objective - getting my problem fixed.
What should be in customer service and what actually is may be vastly different. You can punish them with future purchase decisions but, right now, you have a problem and need a solution. When faced with that, I do what I need to do to get my desired results. Demanding more from management is a less likely road to success than sucking up to an underling who can actually make things happen. But maybe that is just me.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
I do what I need to do to get my desired results. Demanding more from management is a less likely road to success.
I have to agree with you very strongly on that single portion right there. Here's a story of bad turned good by, not necessarily sucking up, but being nice and asking "What should I do". It's not pertaining to our MH but it's the same approach I use anytime I need help.

We bought a late model Lexus GS350 last year. One of those "Certified" cars. After 6 months owning it the front bumper paint starting peeling really badly. I went to the dealer and spoke to the SM. This guy apparently had a reputation for sometimes being a jerk and has since been fired. Through a little rapport building, we made a good personal connection, both of us being retired military. Our paint issue wasn't covered under our extended warranty, and had not been done by the dealer. I was stuck with going to a body shop and paying around a grand for the paint job, plus a rental car. I took the nice guy approach and ask the SM for some guidance, mentioning also that I had purchased from this dealer 2 times. He came through for me and painted the front end and gave me a loaner car for 2 weeks, for $210. I never made a single demand.

When you're in a situation like that, you're really trying to make a sale. You're trying to sell the person you're dealing with on why they should help you. Rapport building is the foundation for nearly any sale.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry about your HWH issues. They have had in the past pretty good support.
If you are technically inclined the HWH website has some great trouble shooting documents that are really flow charts to get you started. What I did was trace through the trouble shooting till I found the issue, then I called HWH and the support verifed my issue. Mine turned out to be a solenoid. With companies running with less personnel, talking with a live body will become more diffucult.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
My vote for the very worst is the RV Repair shop that quoted the fix on my Tradewinds after the accident a couple years ago. He quoted $16,000 and the Insurance Company sent me the check. He demanded a $11,000 deposit to buy parts in cash, this was in Oct. In Jan I called the only source for the parts in question and learned he had never placed an order. This Rodeo continued until May when the Lawyer I had to hire finally got most of my money back and I could get the repairs done myself. So the guy kept $500 for estimating, and the lawyer cost $500 this I figured was just part of a larger deductable.
I did the repairs myself except for the painting and had enough money left to replace all the awning fabric, so there was profit in the deal for the numbskull. Go figure.........Now that's bad customer service.
Dick
Old 10-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 on the HWH support. I experienced the same thing only it took them about two weeks before I got a call back. By then I had the problem fixed. In the future if anyone has an HWH problem contact Stuarts Service in Elkhart IN. He has all HWH parts in stock and has excellent knowledge of their systems.

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service