Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #29
Appalachian Campers
Not being mean here, or trying to be but if a grownup cannot control a kitten (or cat) are you sure you want the responsibility of driving a motorhome across the country? Come on!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #30
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
Cats hate oranges.
I don't know about that, but the cat's liver cannot process the esters
(aromas/smells of citrus) thus causing illness if prolonged.

Crating is not abuse if it is not cramped and prolonged. Unsupervised play might be abuse when kitty is allowed to ingest things which harm it.
I suggest a bigger dog wire crate to contain it and a litter box. Can be used outside in summer to keep cat safe also while it enjoys the sun and is collapsable for the space saving inside on the road when kitty matures and minds itself better. If you don't have room under the table for a wire crate, perhaps you have a bedroom you can close the door to, or keep it in bathroom while unsupervised.

Martha (AKA RVM45), Bob, and Bess the Border collie
22'Honey Sportscruiser on a 1988 Ford Econoline.
Sometimes towing a powered Parachute.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I like cats as much as you do,but do you know the damage it can do in there to the electrical,sorry on this one I have to choose my motorhome over the cat.
Stanley & Barbara
2002 38" Monaco Knight Dp
Old 01-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #32
Tiffin Owners Club
With only 14 posts, I'd just re-register with a different name.

Everyone deserves a fresh start.
Warren and Debbie
2014 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32BR
Old 01-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #33
iRV2 No Limits Club
We take all 6 (now 7 but we haven't taken Peaches out to the MH yet) with us. Only once have we really had a problem with a cat under the dash. He came out on his own after a short time. BUT he did pull the coax out of the backup camera. Had to take the dash partway apart to put it back.
We also had a Maltese that wanted to get between the brake treadle and the firewall which wasn't good as I almost crushed her during a hard stop in traffic.
As to keeping them out: well several suggestions made, some may work for you.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #34
Tabasco Sauce. Red or Green works for us. I run a thread thru a cotton ball. Put some Tabasco on the cotton ball. Don't saturate it so it drips. Several drops will do. Don't want it so strong you can smell it. Hang it where you don't want the cat to be. Animals have more sensitive noses than we do and they do not like the (gases) odors of the pepper fumes. Let us know if it works for you.
Life in the Slow Lane.
U.S. Navy, Retired
SKP #111927
Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #35
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you are missing the obvious.....your cat is looking for a tight spot to cuddle in.....put her in a crate with a towel or soft T-shirt which you wore so it smells like you. Or she needs some toys to chew and play with--put some toys in the crate with her, Crates are not cruel, they are safe havens. If you start her in there for a minute, then gradually increase time she will come to love it. Also what are you doing leaving a kitten the free roam of your home without supervision?
Judy & Ralph, w/Molly (the Westie) & Sadie (the Fourche Terrier)
2011 Ford F350 6.7 Lariat
2013 Infinity 3850RL
Old 01-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #36
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How about rigging a loud buzzer or bell under the dash, with the button on the dashboard. Cats hate loud noises, after a few buzzes, the cat will learn he/she is not welcome under there.
We travel with a cat also, when she was a kitten she would dive behind the sofa and then revel in watching us try to get her out. After a while we gave up, figuring since she got herself back there she can get herself out. She did. Once the fun was over for her she never did it again. (plus she got too big).
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
Old 01-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #37
Not to be mean nor rude!!
We too have cats. Five in all. 2=indoor and 3=outdoor.
We have yet to RV though. Maire became handicapped/disabled for the first part of our 13 year marriage. After years and 3 surgeries; she is able to walk on her own now.

Please take the time to post pictures so we have a better idea of what you are dealing with to try and help!

But I must say -
1) I picture could help those in the know - come up with some idea
2) I see poeple have tried to help with some ideas
3) I hear you complaining - but have you tried one suggestion?

BTW - I like the velcro idea. It can be stuck anywhere. You might want to look into the special pet screen used for screen doors and velcro it up under and around the lower part of the dash. Cat claws will not go through it and it could be removed for repairs.

Good Luck
Sincerely, Tony

Closed Thread

cat, dash