Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY View Post
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I just got off the phone with Canada Border Services (didn't know such a place existed) and they said "Kitty Kitty only has to have her shots up to date and we either have to have a passport or birth certificate and government issued picture ID" That came straight from "The Horses Mouth"
Hi Teffy...You might want to read this:

Crossing U.S. Borders | Homeland Security

You are required to have a Passport coming back into the US from Canada. You might get into Canada but you won't be coming back without a passport. It sucks as we used to go to Ft. Erie and Toronto from Buffalo all the time growing up, but some idiots had to ruin it.

Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnobeer View Post

You are required to have a Passport coming back into the US from Canada. You might get into Canada but you won't be coming back without a passport. It sucks as we used to go to Ft. Erie and Toronto from Buffalo all the time growing up, but some idiots had to ruin it.
Ditto .... what you need is current "horses mouth" from BOTH the U.S Customs and Canada Customs regarding both your docs and kitty docs. They may be different depending on direction.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnobeer View Post

So If I want to say, move to Canada all I have to do is drive there and then they won't let me back? Cool!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You don't need a passport to enter Canada. You HAVE TO have one to enter the USA. Welcome home.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #19

Hi,

I am a Canadian and my response is correct regarding not requiring a passport to drive into the US - that was my perspective in giving my advice. The link from Caveman CBB confirms this. I am not an American citizen and do not know what your specific requirements would be but that link does.

Apologies since I know I caused confusion.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hi,

I am a Canadian and my response is correct regarding not requiring a passport to drive into the US - that was my perspective in giving my advice. The link from Caveman CBB confirms this. I am not an American citizen and do not know what your specific requirements would be but that link does.

Apologies since I know I caused confusion
Your post is still confusing as it only gives half the story. You say that you do not require a passport but do not suggest what can be substituted for a passport. That link suggests a couple of options that are definitely not of the normal things that are carried in every day wallets such as enhanced licenses, nexus and fast cards. It would probably be less confusing to suggest that a passport is necessary to cross the border. A simple every day license or birth certificate will not suffice.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
I called customs this afternoon and was told that we will need passports or a birth certificate and a government issued picture ID, and Kitty Kitty will need nothing. I told her I was born at home and have no BC, where upon she said that it may take as long as 6 hours to get back into the country. I guess I'll go down to the Post Office and see how to get a Passport. After living in this town (pop15,000) for 47 years it's not like people don't know me. I was able to get a tankerman's ticket, TWIC, and social security. I just need to find out what hoops I have to jump through. I sure thank everybody for the heads up. We used to cross both ways with nothing but a picture ID (drivers license)
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
go apply for a NEXUS card. Its the easiest way to avoid the long border lines and the easiest to carry with you as its an ID card the size of your licence.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #23

I assume a cat is the same as a dog - you need proof of up-to-date vaccinations, which I think rabies is the one they look for. We have yet to be asked by US Customs for proof of shots for our dog.

You cannot take opened pet food across the border, at least into the US. It has to be in unopened original packages. We got detained and put under bright lights by US customs once because we took a 2 day supply of dog food in a baggie. Doesn't matter that it was made in the US to start with. Some irresponsible people were opening dog food bags and emptying them and putting in their favorite offshore concoctions with banned products in them.

Dog food is a real problem for we Canadians go to the US for just a few days. We have to buy a new unopened bag of food to take across each time we go camping for a weekend.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubastevee View Post
Hi,

Apologies since I know I caused confusion.

Cheers,

Steve

I just want to point out, that the link you quoted was one I quoted from Whatnobeer. I want to give credit where credit is due.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I assume a cat is the same as a dog - you need proof of up-to-date vaccinations
No a cat is not the same and does not need proof of rabies where as a dog does.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #26

Here's a quick summary from AAA Travel ... please note the differences for animals depending on owner citizenship.
The AAA PetBook