Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Cats and us/canada border crossing

We're gearing up to get on the road after our yearly physicals. This year we're going to Winnipeg MA. Canada for Folklarama and then on to Gaspe. We plan on being in CA for at least six to eight weeks. I'm already upset about having to leave Mr. Glock at home and am now worried about Kitty Kitty. She had her yearly check-up and shots a week ago. Does anyone know about the regs for a cat crossing the border either direction? Or do we hide the litter box, and cat food, and hope she doesn't come out from under the sofa while we're at customs.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #2

We travel with our cat both directions. No problems.
Suggest you google Canada Border Services for the regulation from "The Horses Mouth". You will also find what other items to be aware of.
If you are going to Winnipeg, take lots of Deep Woods Off for the Mosquitos. LOL.
Have a safe trip,,,,,
Old 04-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
When I did some research a couple of years ago, I decided that all we needed was documentation from our vet that Cat had her vaccinations up to date.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Also make sure the cat food is in the container it came in. They will sometimes check ingredients. We have never had a problem with our dogs. Like said check with customs and get the correct info. Happy travels.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You don't need anything for your cat. Dogs need rabies shots.....cats are exempt...... I researched this extensively last year before crossing with our cat. We purred right across the border.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #6

We traveled to Alaska in 2011 with our two cats. Our research showed we had to have a current health certificate issued from a vet within 30 days of crossing the border. Since we were in Alaska longer than 30 days, the first certificate expired so we found a vet in Anchorage and took both cats to have a new certificate issued. Each time the vet checked their shot records and did an exam; we were charged right around $100 ($50/cat) each time. With that said, we crossed the Canadian border several times during that summer and were only asked for the certificate once but were very glad we had it that one time.
ChiefC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
You don't need anything for your cat. Dogs need rabies shots.....cats are exempt...... I researched this extensively last year before crossing with our cat. We purred right across the border.
Oh you just had to say that didn't you.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Don't forget your passports !
capecodbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodbob View Post
Don't forget your passports !
In the 25 years that we were in the tour business I went to Foklarama at least 18 times and we never needed a passport but we closed the business 10 years ago. So that would make it over 10 years and apparently a lot has changed in that length of time. It used to be that all we needed was a current drivers license or a state ID.

Thanks for the heads up about the passport because I didn't know that we needed them for Canada.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #10

Hi,

a couple of points:

1. although you do not require a passport when driving across the border, you will be in a better position if you do bring them. Whether flying or driving, I always use my passport at the border crossings.

2. As you travel east through Ontario, I would recommend staying on highway 17 and go around the northern shore of Lake Superior - absolutely beautiful area but can have steep inclines/declines and fog banks in the early morning hours during June/July.

The alternate route is highway 11 and although it has one nice scenic section, travelling beside a river and high cliffs, once you are beyond that section it flattens out and not too much to see in comparison to highway 17.

Enjoy the festival and safe travels.
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
1. although you do not require a passport when driving across the border, you will be in a better position if you do bring them. Whether flying or driving, I always use my passport at the border crossings.
You need a passport. Its not optional.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
You need a passport. Its not optional.
Can't speak to this from the point of being a US citizen entering Canada, you my be able to cross into Canada without a passport ; BUT; I am sure that you cannot re-enter the US without one.
Particularly with the hightened level of security after yesterdays Boston bombings.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Can't speak to this from the point of being a US citizen entering Canada, you my be able to cross into Canada without a passport ; BUT; I am sure that you cannot re-enter the US without one.
Particularly with the hightened level of security after yesterdays Boston bombings.
Everything was tightened ever since 911 incident.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
We travel with our cat both directions. No problems.
Suggest you google Canada Border Services for the regulation from "The Horses Mouth". You will also find what other items to be aware of.
If you are going to Winnipeg, take lots of Deep Woods Off for the Mosquitos. LOL.
Have a safe trip,,,,,
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I just got off the phone with Canada Border Services (didn't know such a place existed) and they said "Kitty Kitty only has to have her shots up to date and we either have to have a passport or birth certificate and government issued picture ID" That came straight from "The Horses Mouth"