Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Here is one for all of you innovative RV'ers. We have a 30' Wildcat 5er and was wondering where alot of you put the litter box, if you have a cat. We are taking off for 5 months, and will be taking our pampered pets with us. I have an idea of where to put it, but knowing the superior minds on this forum, we thought we would solicit advise. And please don't tell me where to put it, just suggest where to put it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Here is one for all of you innovative RV'ers. We have a 30' Wildcat 5er and was wondering where alot of you put the litter box, if you have a cat. We are taking off for 5 months, and will be taking our pampered pets with us. I have an idea of where to put it, but knowing the superior minds on this forum, we thought we would solicit advise. And please don't tell me where to put it, just suggest where to put it.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #3

As we have a small Class A and you have a fiver, I don't know your layout at all, but on our first trip we put the box under the dining table, which was kind of gross when we were in the middle of dinner and "nature called". Now we put in between the 2 front seats when we are camped--it's out of the way and easy to get to to clean. We have one of those boxes with a lid, so visually it's not too disgusting.

That being said, I guess our main lesson was to put it somewhere easily accessible--we try to clean it much more frequently than at home.

I have heard of people keeping it in the shower recess. Just don't forget to take it out before showering!

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Gene,
I travel with 3 cats in a 38 foot motorhome. The litter box sits next to the shower. I use a covered one and scoop every day, sometimes twice depending on the cats.

Do you plan to keep them in the truck with you while traveling or leave them in the 5th wheel? I some do and some don't. Now I'm going to open a can of worms, cats seem to travel better than dogs. When getting ready to travel and the slides are in, stuff the openings with pillows so the cats can't do any exploring while you travel.

Let us know what you come up with. Happy camping.

Jim
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:25 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We keep ours in the bathroom. It is a enclosed one with a handle on the top, so we can move it around. When traveling it stays in the shower. I have heard of some that put theirs in the basement under the laundry chute. I don't like that very much as I could open it outside and have kitty get loose
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Renegades:
Now I'm going to open a can of worms, cats seem to travel better than dogs. When getting ready to travel and the slides are in, stuff the openings with pillows so the cats can't do any exploring while you travel.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point! One of our cats quickly discovered how much fun it was to crawl up under the dash and explore the wiring. An old pillow shoved into the footwell keeps the little b*gger out now.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #7

Our cat, Mackenzie, has been traveling with us for ten years. I think the answer to your question is you should put it wherever it fits in your rv. The important thing is scoop it at least twice a day. We have never had any odor problems. Our Class A is a 1 1/2 bath model and we keep in in the rear bath room next to the shower.
bg1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #8

being new to a 5er, I cannot find a really good place. I will have to put it in the sliding door closet in the bedroom(and remember to keep the open a little. In our 5er, there isn't a really convenient out of the way place, except for the closet..I have a friend with a Montana3400RL, thats where her cats box is.
Dona

2004 F350/6.0L/turbodiesel/crew-Open Road 359RL3-S5 (2010'Dodge ram 3500 Mega on order)
Dona and Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As other posters have mentioned, a number of people I have met store a litter box in the shower when it (shower) isn't being used.
Some have cut holes leading into an outside storage compartment and put it there. Some have used a pet door to cover the hole.
One guy said he had cut a hole into the area under his dinette bench seat.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:52 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"The important thing is scoop it at least twice a day. We have never had any odor problems."

A friend of ours didn't think they had any odor problems either. They were used to the stink. But everyone else could smell it. I love cats but they aren't perfect aimers.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We have only one place to put the litter box. In the shower. Each morning we scoop, sweep scattered litter up, shower and after the shower floor is dry put the box back in. When we dump the entire box we put it into a large trash bag and take it to the dumpster. We live in the RV three months each winter. Lizzie is going to Nova Scotia for 5 weeks, beginning July 27, 2007. She is looking forward to it. NOT. She also gets a bath before any long trip. It keeps the cat hair down. Again she just loves her bath.

She travels in the truck. We have a small crate on the back seat and whenever we stop she is locked in the crate. She is skittish and would jump out the door if we left her loose in the truck. We had a friend who lost two cats by not crating them whenever the truck door was opened. Different cats different years. We decided when we got our cat to avoid a similar fate.

Also by keeping her in the crate when we are setting up we know exactly where she is until all set up functions are completed. I know one couple who travels with the cat in the 5vr and the dog in the truck but our cat is way to fearful for that.

Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #12

We have an unused cabinet where the washer-dryer would go if we had one. The cat has that area for herself with the covered box, food & water. This also saves me about $1000. by not having to buy the W/D that my wife would like since there is no other space that would work so good.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
TO: bsinmich

You stinker.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #14

Has anyone tried putting the litter box in one of those outdoor cat enclosures that protrude from a window? I have seen pictures of them using a collapsable pet cage either suspended with cables from a J hook or off a window slide.
KathyBee is offline   Reply With Quote