Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I just looked at the Cobra 75 WX ST as was recommended and saw that it does have the 10 NOAA weather channels. If I were to buy that model would that save me the cost of also purchasing a separate NOAA radio which is more dedicated to the weather or would I be getting a "twofer" by just buying the Cobra in the first place?
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I hung onto my Cobra CB when I drove truck back in the 80's. I came across it last year after I bought the MH. I am going to install it in the MH. I can't wait. I can't remember how many weather channels there were but there was at least one.
I had a hand held back in the late 80's,90's when I had a boat, that also had a weather channel. It didn't really work all that good either.
Never had the all in 1 hand held though but heard they were not very good with range. I really like listening to the guy's trucking. If I didn't want to hear it I turned it off just like the radio. It really worked good when there was a smokie up the road and you get forewarned of the speed trap.
I also had a Whistler radar detector. Saved me a lot of times
I say go for it.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We would not be without a CB in the vehicles we have. A cell phone is great if I know the phone number of the person I want to call but if there is a slow down on the road I can't call someone to find out why. The truckers on the CB will tell me why and what the problem is and about how long it should last. It's saved us from being in a tie up more than once including when there was a sniper targeting vehicles from an overpass. The truckers let us know if the cops are doing any speed traps. The speed trap location knowledge is great since people try to start to slow down and it can escalate into a major backup. Having the time to route around those things is great.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
I just looked at the Cobra 75 WX ST as was recommended and saw that it does have the 10 NOAA weather channels. If I were to buy that model would that save me the cost of also purchasing a separate NOAA radio which is more dedicated to the weather or would I be getting a "twofer" by just buying the Cobra in the first place?

It is an all in one unit.
Yes you be getting a "twofer".
Same "guts" as the Classic series with the Weather added.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #19

I had CBs in my previous motorhomes and have the "makings" to install one in my Bounder. I have not gotten around to it, but will.

I have a CB on my Gold Wing motorcycle and love it. My main use is that I ride "sweep" with our group, usually about 12-14 and tell our lead motorcycle when all are through a green light or if we get caught with a red light, any riding problems with the group, etc. I really enjoy it on trips talking to the truckers who offer road and WX information up the road.

Often, I will get behind a trucker going my speed and we will change channels and visit about life in general. I have heard some interesting stories about their life on the road.

With more mh on Ch. 13 and the WX channels (I think there are six) life will be a little more fun while traveling.

Just remember, the CB frequencies are on 11 meters, the worst of the bunch. The government meant it this way so the talk distance is very short and with a 4 watt input to the final, one mile is GOOD....folks who talk 10 miles on their CBs also get 22mpg on their mh....ha ha JMHO
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
I had CBs in my previous motorhomes and have the "makings" to install one in my Bounder. I have not gotten around to it, but will.

I have a CB on my Gold Wing motorcycle and love it. My main use is that I ride "sweep" with our group, usually about 12-14 and tell our lead motorcycle when all are through a green light or if we get caught with a red light, any riding problems with the group, etc. I really enjoy it on trips talking to the truckers who offer road and WX information up the road.

Often, I will get behind a trucker going my speed and we will change channels and visit about life in general. I have heard some interesting stories about their life on the road.

With more mh on Ch. 13 and the WX channels (I think there are six) life will be a little more fun while traveling.

Just remember, the CB frequencies are on 11 meters, the worst of the bunch. The government meant it this way so the talk distance is very short and with a 4 watt input to the final, one mile is GOOD....folks who talk 10 miles on their CBs also get 22mpg on their mh....ha ha JMHO
Sounds just about right.......
Old 10-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, why a CB. (Even if you have a cell phone).. Well. first, Note even Verizon covers the entire USof A without gaps.. So it is possible (Murphy is rubbing his hands together) that when you need the cell phone you will be in a Dead spot.

CB.. Well, sometimes, and I stress SOMETIMES you may be able to call for help that way when the cell fails.

Of course I have another option, My odds of being able to get out are very high indeed.

Next: True story, I should know, I'm in it... I was heading south on I-75 in KY approaching Exit 76, headed for Exit 39 (Corbin) I hear on the CB about an accident, actually 2, fatal, blocking the road, long about the 73 Yardstick.. I "Hit" the turn signal lever and took the exit.. As I pulled up to the stop light at the top of the ramp,,,, The nice police officer pulled across the entrance ramp closing it off.. I found a parking spot.. Had a nice, relaxing dinner, A good night's sleep and breakfast the next morning.. Back on the fully open road. No stress, No muss, No fuss, No bother. THANK YOU CHANNEL 19!!!!

This is why I have not one but TWO CB's in the cabin.

(The other one is on 13 for RVers)

And, I might add, That story (Last fall about 1 year ago right now) is not the only time the CB has saved me from grief. But I will stop now to save bandwidth.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you should go on a caravan, a CB radio is a need to have. CH 13 has been the Good Sam Chan for years although just like CH 9, the emergency chan, it has been hijacked by rude, motor mouths. First time I heard my weather warning go off in the middle of the night I had to make a quick bathroom run.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Horizonchase,
Unlike others, I have received great performance from my handheld Cobra CB. Radio technology is a commodity. It is the antenna, wire and installation that makes all the difference. Not knowing what is already installed on the coach, consider the Firestik brand. Go to Firestik Antenna Company Home Page and take look. Consider a no ground plane antenna and wire. They are sold as a kit. One will also need a mount that can be purchased from the same company. The antenna needs to have a minimum of 2/3 of its' height above the roof. Once installed the radio and antenna will need to be tuned to each other. An SWR meter will be needed. The antenna will have a threaded tip for making the proper adjustment.
Gary, this was very helpful. Thanks for that.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Would this be all that I would need to purchase in addition to the Cobra hand held CB. Anything else? Thanks.Frequently Bought Together

+ + Price for all three: $37.85
Show availability and shipping details

Buy the selected items together
Old 10-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Horizonchase, you need some kind of mount to attach to your MH. Something like a mirror mount maybe. The cable you are maybe buying has PL259 connectors on both ends so you need the stud mount that goes from the PL259 to the mirror mount. Two more items. Hope this helps.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Horizonchase, you need some kind of mount to attach to your MH. Something like a mirror mount maybe. The cable you are maybe buying has PL259 connectors on both ends so you need the stud mount that goes from the PL259 to the mirror mount. Two more items. Hope this helps.

ronspradley
It does help Ron. I want to make sure that when I put this together that I have all of the parts and info that I will need beforehand.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Need to find an experienced installer in Mesa, AZ

I am already convinced that I need a CB, but need to find an experienced installer in Mesa, AZ.

I have experienced numerous times while traveling the long stretches of no cell signal...especially on the I-40, and find it very uncomfortable. I start obsessing about breaking down, and not being able to make a call.

The solution is obviously a good CB, but I don't want just anybody to install it. Especially since CBs are not popular anymore...there are few and far between people who know what they are doing? Is this a correct assumption?

I'd be willing to travel a bit to get to a person who knows what they are doing.
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Many truck stops have a CB shop that can install it for you.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio