Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have always used my CB for talking to others going my way or the other way down the hwy. How can you do that with a cell phone?? What am I missing. how do you get the other person's number as you are driving 55-65 down the hwy?? Hand signs? Please explain to someone not in the know.
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Sounds too easy, Possom! I'll probably blow it...just kidding.
I actually like the sound of the VOX, now. BTW, I was reading about squelch, and think turning that up would reduce that noise?

George...what about the overhang on my cab...I have a Class C, remember?

traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldogs View Post
I actually like the sound of the VOX, now. BTW, I was reading about squelch, and think turning that up would reduce that noise?

A class C is very easy to mount a CB antennae on. Mirror mounts work on them quite well.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #46

Quote:

Ha, I remembered the "Class C" after I sent the post. Like said try a mirrow mount...it works. Go to any truck stop and ask around...lots of different mounts for different vehicles. I have a small speaker that plugs into the back of the CB for easy listening....shop around the truck stops, Radion Shack, Wal Mart...etc
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #47

Quote:

The squelch function reduces noise, yes; it does so by reducing the reception range. When off, it receives the slightest signal, one you only hear as static. When up all the way you might hear someone a block away. This blog, CB radio---the basics, is an easy to understand primer/tutorial for CB radio functions/adjustment knobs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #48

For those who think a cell phone will replace a cb radio,, then thats fine... No matter what you are refering to, it never hurts to have a back up.. Last night, a major interstate was shut down (north and south) in Arkansas for 4 hours,,, due to wrecks on both sides... (I540) . Ice on bridges,,, and idiot drivers,,, ok,, my opinion,, anything can happen.. Anyway,, I sat 2 hours there, on channel 19, and never heard one bad word... Drivers keeping us informed, just chatting,,, about beer battered wartermelon in North Carolina,, etc... lol... Just saying,,, cb radios aren't such a bad thing sometimes... A cell phone would have never given you traffic updates in REAL time like the radio did,, and not all truckers are potty mouths....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #49

Quote:
Thanks...I've heard that...but also ran across several posts where RV CBers would leave the channel on, but no one was ever there..."shrug"
That was our experience. There was no one there most of the time we were testing it that afternoon. We got a lot of annoying static an finally heard some men talking in Spanish. Finally a trucker answered us but said he could hardly hear us with all the static. Then he faded away and there was silence again.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #50

Quote:
BTW, I was reading about squelch, and think turning that up would reduce that noise?
Squelch doesn't remove all the static and other extraneous sounds as we quickly learned.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Squelch doesn't remove all the static and other extraneous sounds as we quickly learned.
Squelch can actually cause you more problems than it solves. A properly set up and tuned radio-mike-antennae setup is the only real option. When the four campers-r-us get together for travel we usually set the squelch to about 3/4 and that way we only hear one another talking. In travel mode (solitary) I run with the squelch just about the static threshold. Good - Bad - or indifferent that's how I use mine.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #52

I inherited a CB with a truck I got and decided to keep it when I sold the truck. It was installed in a Chevy S-10 and had an antenna with a doodad about in the middle of the antenna and a very simple mount on the side of the front fender, using a Z-shaped aluminum bracket.

From the terminology I've seen in various CB posts, I assume this particular antenna doesn't need a ground plane. I'm still not sure I want the extra comm hassle in the MH, so I haven't pursued installing it yet. If I do, would the antenna work if I installed it along the edge of the hood of the RV, like it was on the S-10?

As I understand the current regs, one no longer has to be a "C" (a US citizen) to use a CB. I'm still a Brit.

If I install it, it will probably be on the driver's door, since I rarely use the door and the location is readily to hand. Still thinking!
Old 11-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Frank

Back east in our CB club of yesteryear the "C" could not have been too actively enforced because I lived in the Soo across the border from the Soo and an engineer from Germany living and working in the Michigan Soo had a truck with a CB and he was on the air as much as most. He was back and forth across the international border all the time and as far as I know he never had a problem.

I have a "No ground plane" antennae on my unit and it works well enough that we can talk between units as we travel with up to a few miles of separation.

Tags
radio