Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Not posting this as a proven item but pure hearsay. I have been told that the poilce in BC are watching for CB and Ham radio operators using hand held mikes. It is a fine stretch of the law but using electronic devices is considered a no no here and of late the police have been doing every safety check they can think of to get tax money from the drivers. I am in the process of finding a good VOX mike to go with my unit. Its kinda like a blue tooth for CB's.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks...I've heard that...but also ran across several posts where RV CBers would leave the channel on, but no one was ever there..."shrug"
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ah...I wondered about that Possum. Esp. since they want no texting while driving and the like.
I'll keep that in mind about the VOX.
However, if I get a radio the installer will also be plagued with having to train me on how to use it too, since I've never, ever used a CB...not even in the 70s. I thought all those people were weirdos back then! Ha! So the VOX will have to be yet another thing to learn! When I tried the Bluetooth...I didn't like it, and stopped using it...oh well!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #32

I've used a CB in my vehicles and home for years. It is a tool to aid in driving now, and has faded away for other uses since the common use of cell phones. Anonymity on the radio seems to make the worst of people come out, the result is offensive language and rudeness. This resulted in good people leaving the CB radio service, leaving even more room for those offensive, rude people.
Now that's out of the way, IMO using a CB radio has a lot of advantages over attempting to use any other type of communication method. The ham bands are a great form of communication IF it were widespread, common in use, and affordable the same as CB equipment; so that method is not going to happen.
Cell phones will never work because they are not an instantaneous method of talking to other (unknown) drivers.
The remaining option is CB radios, which are already firmly established in mass surface travel communications. CB radios are used in marine travel too.

Buy a medium-priced radio W/ weather channels installed, and a reputable antenna for about $150 total, install everything yourself and you are ready for keeping updated on road conditions where you are currently driving. You do not need to know about road conditions more than a few miles ahead because things change rapidly while driving (the reason cell phone traffic apps do not work effectively).
I have a CB in my truck, our MH, and 2 hand-held battery-powered units for parking/backing, etc. All CB radios are limited to 4W final output power, but those CB shops at truck stops will turn up the output to about 25W. clean the interior, and tune it up (on frequency) for ~$20.
Hope this was not boring, it's only my thoughts. Welcome to the domain of CB radios!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
install everything yourself
Thanks for the input on what to get...but precisely: I need someone knowledgeable to install it for me..any suggestions?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #34

Gulf Streamers Club
Traveldogs, if you need an installer for a radio and antenna, and cannot find one at a nearby truckstop, you might try a ham radio club. Someone there should be able to help or at least tell you where to go for an install. Radios are not hard to install but the antenna will need some help to tune the radio to the antenna.

Also might get help from them about radio protocol. There is really very little formal protocol.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ahhh...Ron, thank you...that's a good suggestion!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #36

Gulf Streamers Club
And on this forum, Hobbies section, there is a section for ham and cb radios.
Might try there for Mesa Az if you are not having any luck elsewhere.

10-10, sittn on the side.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
If one is going to do a "Caravan" does that require a CB?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
Only if it says so in the brochure.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ha, ha!

I found a guy in Chandler...asked him if he can "do" motor homes. I guess I'll see, soon enough!
Old 11-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldogs View Post
Ha, ha!

I found a guy in Chandler...asked him if he can "do" motor homes. I guess I'll see, soon enough!
Cindy, not much of a learning curve with a VOX mike. You turn on your radio and have at 'er. You do not need to touch the mike once the sensitivity is set for your voice. You talk - it transmits. The problem is the road noise that sometimes triggers the mike all by its lonesome.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
Normally they all use FRS radio frequency walkie-talkies. A reliable, re-chargable set will cost ~$50.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #42

My .02 on CBs. I have used CBs for years and am a ham radio operator. An easy way to install a CB is to get a "through the glass" antenna. Stick the antenna on the highest point of your windshield and the other part on the inside of the windshield....your signal goes through the glass with NO trouble. As posted, a truck stop shop can do a more professional installation. I just set my CB on the dash and plug it in my 12v outlet.

If you have four watts into the final jacked up to 25 or ?, you can talk farther...BUT the person can not reach you as their CB is stock. It is a waste of money and illegal....

I have a CB on my Gold Wing motorcycle and on Interstate trips, I check with oncoming 18 wheelers for WX, etc. I also fall in behind a 18 wheeler going my way, and if compatable, change channels and visit....sometimes for miles.

Over the years, I have had a problem on my scoot and called a passing trucker for help....try it, you will really enjoy your CB and RVs are going to Ch. 13 I hear....

George Lewis, WB5WFW (I talk to the world)
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio