Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
CB radio

I'm not sure if I posted this in the right category but here goes anyway. It has been strongly recommended by a fellow RV'er at an opening house get together that one thing that we shouldn't be without is a good CB. I have been looking at a few online and I do like the handheld Midland with the 10 NOAA chanells included. Can anyone please give us a good recommendation?
Much appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have a cell phone? if so forget the CB, as there is nothing but static and garbage on them, and the range if you do need it is limited to 2-3 miles at best. CB's are for truckers to break their boredom while driving and if you would listen to #19 you will see what I mean. I use to drive cross country and most of the time I had it off.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #3

Just MOHO here, but most hand helds are NOT all that great as for any distance talking. You can get a good Cobra with the weather channel that will serve you very well. Also, don't go cheap on a antenna and have them matched together as well. The midland might work up to a couple of miles where the Cobra will reach out up to a good 10 on flat land!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I like my Cobra 75WXST. It was easy to install. It can be moved from motor home to toad without a hassle. The range is far enough to figure out what lane to be in when traffic stopping.

The price was right and the weather monitor was a great plus. Also being able to set it up to monitor 13 & 19 is cool.

I am using the true the glass antenna sold at CW. Both antennas came out of the bag with excellent VSWR. No tuning was required.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Horizonchase,
Unlike others, I have received great performance from my handheld Cobra CB. Radio technology is a commodity. It is the antenna, wire and installation that makes all the difference. Not knowing what is already installed on the coach, consider the Firestik brand. Go to Firestik Antenna Company Home Page and take look. Consider a no ground plane antenna and wire. They are sold as a kit. One will also need a mount that can be purchased from the same company. The antenna needs to have a minimum of 2/3 of its' height above the roof. Once installed the radio and antenna will need to be tuned to each other. An SWR meter will be needed. The antenna will have a threaded tip for making the proper adjustment.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #6

I prefer vintage uniden made in the Philippines but the weather channels cane in handy 5 years we were on the coast in corpus when one he'll of a storm came in
Old 10-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are better off buying the minimum radio and spending the money on the antenna system. DO NOT buy one of the all in the microphone units. You wind up with a poor quality speaker in the mic and a poor quality mic.

As noted above, the walkie-talkie type are not very good performers.

Ken
Old 10-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I find the CB way easier to use for Rig-Rig chat than a phone

hand helds are good if you are walking about (Walkie Talike is what they used to be called) but I would not care to use one inside a vehicle for long

I do have a vintage Radio Shack "Realistic" radio on chan 13

And a top end Cobra on 19
None of these are weather capable though.

My weather radio, however, is a hand held. (Midland)

I also have a few other radios that receive weather broadcasts.

I would recommend a decent (middle of the range cobra for example) Mounted CB with a good (Firestick?) outside NGP type antenna.

And remember this. Longer is better for antennas up to around nine feet.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
I'm not sure if I posted this in the right category but here goes anyway. It has been strongly recommended by a fellow RV'er at an opening house get together that one thing that we shouldn't be without is a good CB. I have been looking at a few online and I do like the handheld Midland with the 10 NOAA chanells included. Can anyone please give us a good recommendation?
Much appreciated!
Why? What is the use case?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #10

I've never bothered. It used to be that the "C" was a legal definition of the user, i.e a US citizen. Resident aliens like me were not permitted to have one. That may have changed over the years, but I've never felt a need for one.

The radio rules used to be really strange. I don't know if they've been updated. As a resident alien, I couldn't have any ownership interest in an airplane, but if I was riding in one, I could use the comm radio. I could own a boat, but I was not permitted to use a ship-to-shore radio. I don't know if I could've used a ham radio.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
Much appreciated!

Look at the top under{ Forms and find RV Lifestyle and Hobby.

You will find CB there.

I just installed a CB and have not used one since the 1970's.

Why?

Many areas especially around state parks I have been to have NO cell phone converge. Also no
cell coverage in many parts of Va., NC.
Sc., Ga. and on our family visits to La.

The sell phone coverage maps looks better that real life coverage.

Also a cell phone will not tell you why traffic is stopped on the
interstate.

The old style Cobra 29 LTD is hard to beat.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Why? What is the use case?
He said that there could be road hazards up ahead that I wouldn't know about had I not had the CB. Detours, etc. Also, with the NOAA weather channels we get a heads up on flash floods, tornado's, fires, etc. I agree that a lot of the talk is from bored truckers but there could be some beneficial information also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post
Look at the top under{ Forms and find RV Lifestyle and Hobby.

You will find CB there.

I just installed a CB and have not used one since the 1970's.

Why?

Many areas especially around state parks I have been to have NO cell phone converge. Also no
cell coverage in many parts of Va., NC.
Sc., Ga. and on our family visits to La.

The sell phone coverage maps looks better that real life coverage.

Also a cell phone will not tell you why traffic is stopped on the
interstate.

The old style Cobra 29 LTD is hard to beat.
I agree here. I think with a quality antennae we will at least have some means of communicating when there is no cell phone coverage.
I'll look at some of the recommended ones and pair it up with a quality antennae. Thanks all for chiming in.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
I like my Cobra 75WXST. It was easy to install. It can be moved from motor home to toad without a hassle. The range is far enough to figure out what lane to be in when traffic stopping.

The price was right and the weather monitor was a great plus. Also being able to set it up to monitor 13 & 19 is cool.

I am using the true the glass antenna sold at CW. Both antennas came out of the bag with excellent VSWR. No tuning was required.
Ditto: I use it when traveling with friends and off road in my Jeep. If we hit traffic on the road we listen to truckers on 19. RV channel is 13 occasionally hear conversations.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
There was a recent thread on here suggesting that RV'ers adopt Channel 13 for the official RV channel to monitor on the road. Many of us agreed to do that.

Hope you find the right radio!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio