Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ours came with a CB, but needed an antenna, I removed the CB as I didn't want add one more level of noise pollution on my trip. Not too many places without cell coverage anymore. Besides a smoking RV next to the road will get plenty of attention. We usually listen to audio books. CB's are so 1970's unless you are a trucker or have a special need (edit: or enjoy the chatter). I remember at one time you could get them as a factory option is some autos.

And we don't rock crawl in our CJ.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #16

Cell towers go down. Radio waves do not. No monthly service plan. they both have there pros and cons. There both good tools to have IMHO.

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
Cell towers go down. Radio waves do not. No monthly service plan. they both have there pros and cons. There both good tools to have IMHO.
Completely agree, and consider that a new cb and antenna costs 1/4 of a smart phone and lasts decades.
You don't have to keep it on, but for less that $100, it's cheap and will prove useful.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Completely agree, and consider that a new cb and antenna costs 1/4 of a smart phone and lasts decades.
You don't have to keep it on, but for less that $100, it's cheap and will prove useful.
I agree! I bought a Cobra Handheld HH Roadtrip. It will come in handy for road conditions and weather or just listening to the chatter when I get tired of listening to the radio or a CD. For under $100, it is worth having in case of no cell service (for whatever reason).

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:55 PM   #19

How does the Cobra work ? External antenna ?
Old 06-01-2015, 03:14 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Den View Post
How does the Cobra work ? External antenna ?
Yes, a plug-in external antenna comes with the radio. I will probably invest in a permanent mount antenna later.

The radio plugs into the 12v outlet in the dash. Works great!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a magnetic mount up by the front running lights.
usnret997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you caravan with other RVers it becomes a great means of contact. I believe, as said, that the caravan companies require them for messaging and call outs in the "Lets get on the road" mornings. If you get one with weather bands, it will advise you of storms as well as "Amber" alerts, as happened to me in the middle of the night.

Don G.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #23

Grimesy, are you in Iowa? I got an Amber Alert at almost 4 a.m this morning, Alert went off and woke me up, couldn't hardly get back to sleep.
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:58 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of my driving it is a waste of time but once I get 'er going again I'll be spending more time on the Super Slab as the CBers call the freeways.

Years ago in Southern MI we had a bit of bad weather (Freezing rain) I was driving Wife's van from Parent's house (Christmas dinner) home to Detroit when the radio told me of an ovrturned semi ahead.. Too late to tour the "D" but soon enough I was able to back 'er down (Slow down) and not crash.. 4 other cars were not so lucky.. Two of em limped to a truck stop down the road.. The other two took dolly tows and I got to shelter till Police arrived,, Provide an "office" and take them home (Detroit area).

A few years ago I was south bound on I-75 in KY and the radio told me of not one but TWO fatal accidents about 3.5 miles ahead.. Exit 0.5 miles ahead I took it.. Got to the top of the ramp just as they closed the entrance.. late enough in the day we called it a night and found parking.

Others had the stress of a multi-hour traffic jam

And those are the two best stories.. I have a bunch not so dramatic.

Tags
radio