Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #1

CB Radio/Anetnna Recommendation

I'm looking to install a CB radio and antenna on our 2007 Georgetown 373 and am wondering if anyone can recommend a brand and antenna style.

I was looking at the radio at Cobra 18 Complete RV CB Package | Right Channel Radios. One of the things it asks for is an antenna mounting selection (roof vs side mount) and I'm curious if anyone has experience here and a recommendation on this as well.

Any advice is most appreciated.

Thanks!
goombaloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #2

I hope some of the MH guys see your post and reply soon. I don't have a MH and cannot address your questions, I just want to welcome you to irv2.com and urge you to participate as much as you want. We have a forum for hobbies and radios, which might serve you better with CB radio questions, as that is where those of us using CB's talk, so to speak.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by goombaloon View Post
I'm looking to install a CB radio and antenna on our 2007 Georgetown 373 and am wondering if anyone can recommend a brand and antenna style.

I was looking at the radio at Cobra 18 Complete RV CB Package | Right Channel Radios. One of the things it asks for is an antenna mounting selection (roof vs side mount) and I'm curious if anyone has experience here and a recommendation on this as well.

Thanks!
It sure looks like all you need, including the SWR meter for matching the antenna. I think the side mount antenna would be the best choice because of the cable routing.
There is not as much CB being used as there used to be. I still find mine very helpful when their are traffic problems. Good luck !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
If you want the "best" performance out of a CB antenna for an RV (fiberglass, rubber or fiberglass roof), once of the first things to know is that you are limitied to "No Ground Plane" (NGP) antennas... Google "Firestik NGP". The "regular" antennas will work somewhat, but the NGP antennas are designed for RVs, boats, and other things that don't have the metallic surface required to provide a ground plane. I REALLY REALLY want to put a CB side mount in the side of my Vista near the driver's area, but the walls are just too thick for me and walls/cabinetry is not my area of expertise or interest. So what I will be doing with my antenna (which arrives today) is mounting it to the rear ladder, then running extension cable under the bottom to the driver's comparment where I will bring it in through the floor.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #5

I installed the Cobra 29WXNWST Nightwatch CB last year, then removed it after 6,000 miles (the CB antenna was already mounted to the roof). There seems to be VERY LITTLE conversation on the airways these days. Not like it was in the mid to late 70's, when I was licensed for Citizen Band.

I found that when we did hear something, the operators have their mic gain cranked up to create an echo and distort the voice so much it was annoying at best..

Perhaps cellphones and satellite radio took the place of things to occupy truck drivers nowadays....

Quote:
Originally Posted by goombaloon View Post

Thanks!
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi goombaloon,
I installed a CB and antenna (no ground plane) in/on my coach. Go to:
Clothes Pins Extend Gutter Down Spout - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see a close up of the antenna and mount

CB Antenna - 3' Firestick No Ground Plane Needed - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the entire view of the antenna and mount

Cobra_75_WX_ST_CB_Radio - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the Cobra CB radio

CB Radio External Speaker With Ear Bud Jack - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the external speaker

CB Radio Head Set - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the single ear head set

Firestik Antenna Company Home Page to see the Firestik web site.

It matters not which CB radio you buy. Radios have been a commodity for years. It is the antenna and wire that one must pay attention to. The Firestik no ground plane antenna and wire is sold as a matching kit. The mount you choose is based on your coach. I installed the external speaker so I could use the head set. Nobody in the coach needs to hear what is being said on the CB. The single ear solution is to ensure I am able to hear every word the wife happens to say. 2/3 of the antenna needs to be above the roof line. Consider only a top loaded antenna. You'll need a SWR meter to adjust the antenna to the installation.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If you go to the bigger truck stops, most should be able to help since they do lots with CB's for the truckers and understand the big vehicles like RV's. They should be able to help you not only figure out the best one for you but also what else you might need and help you to tune it. They might even be able to give you some advice on which channels are for what.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I have a Cobra 29 with Firestick no ground plane antenna mounted on the passenger side, above the front entry door. You should know that NGP antennas come with a matching coax for the radio. It is matched by length of coax for best performance. On my installation, the match was way way off, so I hooked up SWR (standing wave ratio) meter, which requires a short coax jumper cable. And just hooking up the meter made the match very good? Somehow, that extra 4' of coax made the match much better. I then tuned the antenna just a little and have a working setup now. So if you were to need to run extra length coax for your installation, be aware you may need to alter the total length of coax for the best match. Hope this helps.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #9

Seems I remember a thread (in the CB/ham radio section) where it is possible to mount your CB antenna [I]inside the coach[I] without any harm to occupants, the antenna or radio. Does anyone else remember that?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
They do make thru glass cb antennas. So no holes in RV. I have not used one so cannot recommend. They do not have a very good reputation.

ronspradley
Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #11

When I had a class a I went with a no ground plane and attached to rear ladder. Make sure 2/3rds is above roof and get good quality coax to run to the back. worked pretty good. I would get a radio with a weather band on it unless you run with a weather radio.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Spend the money on the antenna. Firestix NGP is the way to go. Do not get one of the units that has all of the controls I the mic. You wind up with a poor mix and spezker

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2005 Endeavor with an aluminum roof. Will the aluminum roof serve as the ground plane? It is "prewired for CB" with an antenna and cable. What are the odds the antenna will work adequately? I will be installing a Cobra 29 Chrome.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Hook everything up and check with SWR meter. Then you will know if installed antenna and radio match. If not, you can always buy a no ground plane NGP antenna from Firestick and then, again, test with SWR meter. You can borrow mine.

ronspradley