Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
CB Radio + Antenna Upgrade

I have an "all in one" Cobra CB which came standard in the Newmar Ventana. Problem is the reception and transmission functions are minimal due to the small rubber ducky antenna. I know they have to be small in size due to trees etc. but wondering what other have done to improve overall operation?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #2

I would post this in the technology forum. Here is my 2 cents. You need a better antenna. Most RVs are fiberglass. So you can add a piece of sheet mental under the antenna to get a ground plane or install a no ground plane antenna. I think it's called a fire stik. If you do a search on irv2 this has question has been answered many times.

Also Newmar does offer as a special cb prep it used to be an option.

-Brian

Old 10-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've just put on a fire stik [no ground plane] antenna [36"]with a side mount, without tuning I've got a good SWR, however I will get on the roof and tune it better [no time] . It does work very good and I see no problem with anything hitting it. Drivers side mounting is a must [remember, minimal obstructions there]. I prefer the black antenna over the white, less noticeable but whatever fits your needs. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #4

I had the handheld and upgraded to a Cobra29 Classic. Mounted a Wilson 4ft black to the "A" pillar with a black sidemount. This provides some metal to create a ground-plane with excellent ground. Tip of antenna is 13ft 6in from pavement at ride height, acts as a curb feeler so to speak for low clearance for cg entrance etc. This is mounted on the drivers side of course. Also had to mount extra speaker since cb is mounted in dash on American Coach (they provide hole with blockoff panel) looks very professional. SWR is at 1.2 which is very good. I have reduntent grounds on radio (3) and antenna mount (4) going to multiple locations.

Quick reason I run a CB, a truckdriver alerted me that kids were throwing something from a bridge a few miles ahead which turned out to be cinder blocks! Driver might have saved our lives. I would like to thank him personally and shake his hand!
Old 10-03-2015, 07:14 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Bruce...I'll follow-up on your suggestion
Old 10-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not a problem, glad to be of some help. Post on how you do. Good luck. I just went on line and googled fire stik and ordered from their site. Less than $100. as I can remember with RV mount. Just make sure you order a non ground plane antenna. Good luck.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, radio, upgrade