Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
CB radio channel 9 for emergencies

Has anyone used the CB radio channel 9 to call for help for a medical emergency or a need for the police? What was the response?
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #2

Once...about 15 years ago. The guys on the other hand apparently were pretty peev'ed that we dared interrupted their engaging conversation consisting of telling each other to F-off in new and creative ways.

CB is virtually dead these days for useful communications. The majority of it is the truckers being dirty with each other, and there's some limited usage out in the sticks from the 4x4 crowd for trail communications. But I'm not aware of any emergency services that still monitor, well, any channel on CB.

I'm a ham radio guy, and radio is my career. If it's a true medical or life/death situation, the radio is the last thing I'll go for. I still carry a satellite phone and SPOT locating beacon - SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE

The nice thing about those SPOT devices is that it will transmit GPS coordinates of your position, even if you're unable to speak. So you don't have to try to describe to the person on the other end of the line that you're 6..no wait...7...or maybe it was 3...turnoffs past the big rock...I mean tree..cliff...no, it was definitely a big rock!
urbex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:22 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I would use 911 for medical emergencies.

Or one of these emergency # or * numbers listed by state and/or highway.

https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MS...ts/SHP-319.pdf

-Tom, W3TLN

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
In today's technically advanced world of electronics, CB's are a thing of the past...........transmission, area dependent, is very short........
Trucker's still use them to just chat and occupy their long days on the road...... I don't think law enforcement even still have them or use them???? alls I see is cell buttons to use on the signs across our country.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was a commercial fisherman and once VHF radios became available CB went mostly away. Even on the ocean with as good range as you can get they only go a couple miles. VHF goes 70 miles pretty consistently and is a better choice as it is monitored by several agencies but nowhere near as good as a cell phone or spot device.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I would use 911 for medical emergencies.
Or one of these emergency # or * numbers listed by state and/or highway.
https://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MS...ts/SHP-319.pdf
-Tom, W3TLN
What if you are in a place without a cell signal?
Old 10-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I was a commercial fisherman and once VHF radios became available CB went mostly away. Even on the ocean with as good range as you can get they only go a couple miles. VHF goes 70 miles pretty consistently and is a better choice as it is monitored by several agencies but nowhere near as good as a cell phone or spot device.
Never heard of a VHF radio - tell me about it.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
I would use the amateur radio frequencies. Exactly what is happening this week with hurricane Mathew.

In a true emergency I could go directly to the emergency frequencies for help. Communications, in an emergency, is legal on any frequency, even if one does not have a license.

If one anticipates a personal emergency, I would suggest not leave cellphone coverage.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Never heard of a VHF radio - tell me about it.
Technically, VHF is the 30 to 300 MHz range which would include some of the ham frequencies as well as some police, fire, etc.. CB is in the upper part of the HF band (3-30 MHz). The frequencies affect the size of antenna needed and how the signals propagate.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #10
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
If you're talking about using a marine VHF radio, it's illegal to use marine frequencies on land unless communicating with a vessel.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #11

Years ago most State Police and other law enforcement agencies monitored channel 9, but with the advent of Cellular Phones, most don't monitor it any more. Due to the shrinking budgets most police and first responders cannot afford to purchase the equipment.
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Even if you show no connection dial 911 anyway. ALL carriers monitor 911 and will answer. There are a lot of private carriers that companies out in the boonies have set up for their own use.

We were in Elk, California and had a breakdown. People with us had no signal on 3 major carriers including me on Verizon.

So I dialed 911 just for the heck of it and got connected to 911 and they sent help.

So dial it anyways, can't hurt.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Even if you show no connection dial 911 anyway. ALL carriers monitor 911 and will answer. There are a lot of private carriers that companies out in the boonies have set up for their own use.

We were in Elk, California and had a breakdown. People with us had no signal on 3 major carriers including me on Verizon.

So I dialed 911 just for the heck of it and got connected to 911 and they sent help.

So dial it anyways, can't hurt.
That's excellent advice. Thank you.

Tags
radio