Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2015, 12:44 AM   #1

CC Inspire

First time out with our 2005 Inspire.
??? Any info to help us
1) find the suspension adjustable ride
2) oil temp & what is average?
3) oil temp average for transmission?
4) how does the Jake brake work? It was fine leaving home but quit after 5 miles.
?

The manufacturer emailed an owners manual: not particularly helpful.

We left southern Arizona this evening-heading for Montana for nephew's graduation.

Excited about not being locked into travel dates! We have 10 days to get there and nothing to lock us into a be home by date. The cat isn't impressed! My dog is content to go anywhere! She is a Yorke cross.

Any info would be appreciated.
Bob & Susan
bspotter1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
My oil temp with Cummins C8.3L 300hp is about 185 degrees normally. The engine will shut down at 225 degrees.

Allison temp is normally 185 degees.

Presumably you have air suspension that is automatic. You will not control the suspension except maybe to adjust the shocks?

If you have a Jake engine brake, you must have the 400 ISL Cummins engine. Others will help you with the engine brake.

Our exhaust brake (also could be made by Jacobs) only activates when the switch is turned on and the throttle pedal is released above 30 mph. It will not activate above 65 mph.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspotter1979 View Post
First time out with our 2005 Inspire.
??? Any info to help us
1) find the suspension adjustable ride
2) oil temp & what is average?
3) oil temp average for transmission?
4) how does the Jake brake work? It was fine leaving home but quit after 5 miles.
?

The manufacturer emailed an owners manual: not particularly helpful.

We left southern Arizona this evening-heading for Montana for nephew's graduation.

Excited about not being locked into travel dates! We have 10 days to get there and nothing to lock us into a be home by date. The cat isn't impressed! My dog is content to go anywhere! She is a Yorke cross.

Any info would be appreciated.
Bob & Susan

Bob
Some CC Inspires came with Cummins and some with a Cat. I have a Cat C9 400hp and it has a PacBrake. When ever I start down a grade it is on.
Gauges--- Well the ones in the dash run hotter than the real gauges I use on the Silverleaf. I have the VMS 330 but a lot of guys use the VMSpc.
SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc. | Knowledge is Horsepower
My coolant runs between 194* and 204* and the trans temp will run about the same on a grade. You should be able the hear the fan come on and go off.
Do you know if you have the wet PTO a must have to keep thing from coming apart.
CHELSEA PTO
If you have the Not-So-Cold frig something to think about is to ditch it and install a RR frig.
Samsung Refrigerator Install
Here are just a few things to think about.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #4

The exhaust brake will not operate if the cruise control is on.
Jerry
2005 Country Coach Inspire Quad Slide w/C9-400 Kitty Kat, 2013 Honda CR-V, "RVing since 1968". Escapee #27953, FMCA #12697, Good Sam Life Mbr.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Jerry
Mine does
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #6

I have a 2004 Inspire with Cummins engine. Exhaust brake works with cruise on. Cruise control is set up in the engine ECM. I had numerous troubles and found the ECM not programmed properly. Once Cummins programmed it correctly, the cruise works fine and exhaust brake works with or with out cruise on. With in the engine ECM, the exhaust brake can be set to not come on at all with cruise on or it can be set to come on. Further, it can be set to actuate at various speeds above the cruise control setting. For instance, I have my programmed to actuate at 5 mph over the cruise control setting. In other words, if I set the cruise to hold 60 mph and then go down a hill where the coach goes faster, the exhaust brake will come on at 65 with the cruise remaining on. Once you level out or start back up a hill, the exhaust brake de-activates and cruise maintains 60 mph again. Yours might be set much higher or not at all. It is controlled by the engine ECM. Cummins also found my ECM had incorrect tire sizes, the wrong transmission and several other things incorrectly programmed. I believe Cat or Cummins should preform the same.
lshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Jerry
On a Cummins that is changeable, or at least the ISX manual says it is.

Doesn't on ours and cost me a speeding ticket in CA. Such a smooth, quiet ride and I just let my speed build too much without really noticing. First ticket for anything in about 30 years!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #8

My temperatures run the same as 2 stroker "My coolant runs between 194* and 204* and the trans temp will run about the same on a grade. "

I use my Silverleaf computer screen to look at temps. My steering wheel rim obstructs easy view of panel gauges.

I would guess you have the same air ride controls as I do. I just look up to make sure the green light for travel is on before taking off. I have manually lifted the coach a couple of times using the buttons on the panel. Other than that I have not used the adjustments much. The ride hight on our coach is correct.

Our engine brake is 3 speeds or hold back pressure. There is a switch for it on our panel to the left of the drivers chair. Our engine brake does work with the cruise on. Our engine brake will not go on if it senses that the speed is too high and will overspeed the motor. The only time this ever happened to me was about a mile east of the Eisenhower tunnel going towards Denver. That got my attention real quick. But I just braked the speed down and the engine brake came back on.

Hope that helps.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lshew View Post
I have a 2004 Inspire with Cummins engine. Exhaust brake works with cruise on. Cruise control is set up in the engine ECM. I had numerous troubles and found the ECM not programmed properly. Once Cummins programmed it correctly, the cruise works fine and exhaust brake works with or with out cruise on. With in the engine ECM, the exhaust brake can be set to not come on at all with cruise on or it can be set to come on. Further, it can be set to actuate at various speeds above the cruise control setting. For instance, I have my programmed to actuate at 5 mph over the cruise control setting. In other words, if I set the cruise to hold 60 mph and then go down a hill where the coach goes faster, the exhaust brake will come on at 65 with the cruise remaining on. Once you level out or start back up a hill, the exhaust brake de-activates and cruise maintains 60 mph again. Yours might be set much higher or not at all. It is controlled by the engine ECM. Cummins also found my ECM had incorrect tire sizes, the wrong transmission and several other things incorrectly programmed. I believe Cat or Cummins should preform the same.
That is some good info! I have the same year Inspire and I've bee trying to troubleshoot the Jacobs E Brake. The light on the dash rarely comes on (which could be just a connection to the idiot light) but when it does I do feel a slight reduction in speed. I actually went so far as to unhook the solenoid and run a wire on the outside of the coach up through the DS toll window to a separate 12v source just to test the brake itself.

I guess I have to make an appointment with Cummins and have them diagnose and hopefully alter the programming.

I'd hoped to put in a PacBrake with the variable valve (can't remember the model) which I've heard is much more effective than the Jacobs unit. I needed a half marmon in and out at 2.5" and they don't make that.