Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
B&D

We've all seen 'em. We've all stayed at atleast one! The projects from the Emergency Work Program initiated by FDR in a whirl wind fashion in the first 100 days of his first administration. More commonly known as the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), the program salvaged a significant segment of the young men of an entire generation from the economic disaster of the Great Depression. Every American family has benefited from the CCC.

I am attempting to organize a list of the projects for my family. My uncles who participated in the program are gone now and that resource is not available for me. If anyone has suggestions or links for the CCC program they would be helpful and appreciated. My family was primarily involved in the Cumberland Plateau/Norris Dam area as well as other south states. We feel it is important for our family to understand that the generation of our brothers, fathers, grand fathers and uncles accomplished even more than winning a great war. They rebuilt an entire nation and world.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
B&D

We've all seen 'em. We've all stayed at atleast one! The projects from the Emergency Work Program initiated by FDR in a whirl wind fashion in the first 100 days of his first administration. More commonly known as the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), the program salvaged a significant segment of the young men of an entire generation from the economic disaster of the Great Depression. Every American family has benefited from the CCC.

I am attempting to organize a list of the projects for my family. My uncles who participated in the program are gone now and that resource is not available for me. If anyone has suggestions or links for the CCC program they would be helpful and appreciated. My family was primarily involved in the Cumberland Plateau/Norris Dam area as well as other south states. We feel it is important for our family to understand that the generation of our brothers, fathers, grand fathers and uncles accomplished even more than winning a great war. They rebuilt an entire nation and world.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Growing up in West Texas, two CCC projects that I can think of (both of which are still going strong) are Indian Lodge in the Davis Mountains State Park (Fort Davis, TX) and San Solomon springs at Balmorhea State Park (Balmorhea, TX). These projects are 35 miles apart but, in terms of elevation, terrain, climate, etc. might as well be 1000 miles apart.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:11 PM   #4

Blue Ridge Parkway was a CCC project. Most (if not all) of those beautiful scenic overlooks were carefully planned and planted! And they did a wonderful job!.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:52 AM   #5
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not sure how many CCC camps have been preserved, but I've been to one in the Bemidji, Mn area.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:52 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Up on the Cumberland Plateau in Crossville, Tn, the Homesteads community was a CCC project initiated by FDR. The homes are beautiful to this day although several years ago a tornado came through the area and did some extensive damage.
Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
B&D

Rusty, from what I've read Texas has abunch of State/national parks established or improved by the CCC. I knew Big Bend was one but the 2 you mention sound like they are definitely worth the visit.

Amen, Ms. Lorna! I recently saw a History channel documentary re: the BR parkway. I had not known it was another of the CCC's work until that time. Each project had it's own engineers and architects if appropriate is my understanding.

Adj. the actual camps were mlitary property (usually Army) most of the building were pre-fab/modular and were disassembled, then relocated. The only indications of the camps where the enrollees actually lived I have actually seen at parks/forest are concrete slabs or beautifully aged, moss covered stone stairways accessing the camp area. I would like to see the barracks or out buildings some day soon. I'll check out the Bemidji area.

Chief would you know where or how I might find more information about this specific project? One of my uncles purchased one of the properties. I really hate that I was not able tocome up with the funds at the time to keep it in the family. Beautiful native stone w/pine paneling. Excellent craftsmanship. I've an old (circa 1940) Tennessee tour book (another of the EWP/CCC affiliated projects according to tthe copyright) which generally mentions the then new Norris dam and experimental homes and communities on the Plateau, but no specifics.

I thank ya'll alot! This will help beaucoup.