Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
(2) a combination of vehicles that has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, if the gross vehicle weight rating of any vehicle or vehicles in tow is more than 10,000 pounds.

And that was the reason my wife and I both got the Class A Texas license. The truck GCWR is 30000# and the trailer GVWR is 16,050#. No sense in taking a chance when you can easily pass the written and driving test. The hard part is finding a DPS office that know which test to give you.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Depending on the options selected (axle ratios, etc.), many of the truck manufacturers can still supply a truck that's under the 26,001 lb GCWR (not GCVWR) breakpoint. The gross combination weight rating (GCWR) on my truck is 26,000 lbs - that's NOT a coincidence; I ordered it configured to get the 26,000 lb GCWR which is adequate for my needs.

The requirement for upgraded driver licenses is a largely-ignored downside of the manufacturers' market-driven inflated ratings race.

Rusty
Interesting. I am on the verge of placing and order for a 2013 F350. The GVWR is up to 14K (matching the F450) and the CGWR is 30K. I'm not finding any options to lower these numbers. I am working with our fleet salesman. I assume in your case, it is all on paper and they are not litterally reducing the suspension?

Quote:
(2) a combination of vehicles that has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, if the gross vehicle weight rating of any vehicle or vehicles in tow is more than 10,000 pounds.

And that was the reason my wife and I both got the Class A Texas license. The truck GCWR is 30000# and the trailer GVWR is 16,050#. No sense in taking a chance when you can easily pass the written and driving test. The hard part is finding a DPS office that know which test to give you.

Ken
That's the same thing I did. Now to get the spouse ready to pass the driving test. Written test will not be a problem. Did you have as much trouble explaining to the DPS staff what your intentions were, and why you were doing it?

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #45
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad Bowl View Post
Update -
CDL part of this story was dismissed , was not for hire, package that was picked up was for his own personal use.
Fines were paid for not having proper endorsement.
Lesson learned - class " C " only does not cut it. At least need to have class " B " or class
" A " non CDL for towing something as heavy as this turned out to be. Also if written permission had been obtained from the owner of the TV things would have been somewhat different.
CYA whenever possible.
Thanks for the update. Outcome was as expected, under the circumstnaces.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Scotty, after all of the trouble getting the right written test in Houston, we signed up to do the driving test in Huntsville. The DPS there understands the RV testing since the Escapees are based there and they get lots of RVers.

Ken
Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #47

If I buy a 26,000 GCWR MH they won't let me take a road test in it in WY. The vehicle has to be 26,001 GCWR.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Precisely. That's why so many vehicles had a 26,000 lb GCWR (including my truck). The 26,000 lb GCWR was set to stay below the 26,001 lb and higher Class A/B driver license requirement threshold.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
If I buy a 26,000 GCWR MH they won't let me take a road test in it in WY. The vehicle has to be 26,001 GCWR.
Are you sure you don't have that backwards? According to this site RV Driver's License Requirements you only need a non-commercial class A or B if the coach is greater than 26,000#.

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote