Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
O.P.,
I don't understand the over gross at 27,000#, unless the truck was only plated for 26,000#. I understand the noncdl ticket. When the vehicles are not yours, it gets very tricky. Remember that all the states need money, and this is a good revenue source.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #30
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad Bowl View Post
Here is what I know,
Fact; company truck was borrowed ( verbal permission only )
Fact; LEO observed package being placed in back of pickup ( generating stop )
Fact: class C ( only ) drivers license.
opinion; somewhat mouthy from friend.
opinion; LEO was looking for something ( Sheriff Office ) something got his attention.
Fact; either called in or sent to scales.
opinion; some more mouth
Fact; over gross and not properly licensed ( no class A or CDL)
I think the moral here is have the proper endorsement ( I plan to update mine , just in case I might need it ) and hold the alligator mouth in check.
Note: My humble opinion:

Ah! Now their are two factors that are clarifying this.

1) Alligator mouth overloaded hummingbird rear end.

2) Class C license does not all for driving a vehicle with a GCVW rating of 26,001 pounds or heavier.

CDL is not a factor if the package was for personal use also, however if it was a business package and the truck was identified as belonging to a business, the judge will have to figure that one out.

Suggestion: Pay the fine. Obtain proper license.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Wouldnt the laws in your home state apply? Not legal to have more then one DL
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Wouldnt the laws in your home state apply? Not legal to have more then one DL
Perhaps I missed it, but I've seen nothing that indicates the situation described by the OP involved anything but a Texas driver in a Texas-licensed truck pulling a Texas-licensed 5th wheel who got stopped in Corpus Christi, Tx. In that case, reciprocity doesn't enter the equation.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad Bowl View Post
The case did go to court and the Judge said sorry, thats the way it is, your fine will be. I have recently learned that a 150 lb package was picked up in route and the LEO saw it being loaded into the back of the pickup which caused him to make the stop. He assumed that the pickup was being used as a commercial hauler. This whole thing is a mess and is being appealed.
Howdy!

The short version is you friend was "profiled/interdicted" after seening the package loaded into the truck. In the course of the investigation he wae issued the citations.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #34

Excel Owners Club
Rusty, I got that part. My question/statement was more general in nature to help expand our knowledge base for when we travel to states with these laws and how it may or may not apply.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #35
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
O.P.,
I don't understand the over gross at 27,000#, unless the truck was only plated for 26,000#. I understand the noncdl ticket. When the vehicles are not yours, it gets very tricky. Remember that all the states need money, and this is a good revenue source.
Frank
In Texas, a higher classification license (not necessarily CDL unless driving for hire) is required to drive any vehicle or combination over 26,000 lb. Had nothing to do with being overloaded.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #36
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Like I posted as a reply: A class C license was the one presented at the time of stop. For the weight (GCVW), it was the wrong class of license.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #37

I know this is after the fact. I can't speak of any other state than Indiana, but their licensing laws require license plates for the highest expected GVW.. Their lowest class plate is 7,000# for pickup to legally weigh.. I have 12,000# plates and my dually truck weight is 11,200# with 5er attached. Here is a better explanation.
This is completely separate from CDL requirements.
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
As posted by RustyJC, from the Texas manual, under Class A Driver's License
Quote:
(2) a combination of vehicles that has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, if the gross vehicle weight rating of any vehicle or vehicles in tow is more than 10,000 pounds.
Almost any 5th wheel has a GVWR over 10K. Any dually these days has a GCVWR over 26K.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #39

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Almost any 5th wheel has a GVWR over 10K. Any dually these days has a GCVWR over 26K.
Depending on the options selected (axle ratios, etc.), many of the truck manufacturers can still supply a truck that's under the 26,001 lb GCWR (not GCVWR) breakpoint. The gross combination weight rating (GCWR) on my truck is 26,000 lbs - that's NOT a coincidence; I ordered it configured to get the 26,000 lb GCWR which is adequate for my needs.

The requirement for upgraded driver licenses is a largely-ignored downside of the manufacturers' market-driven inflated ratings race.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #40

One thing mentioned,,, I learned long ago,,, ALWAYS treat Law Enforcement officers with respect, even in the rare instances they don't deserve it. Most are upstanding people doing a stressful job. "Mouthing" them will Only bring you more trouble. My opinion.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I wouldn't think so, either, but my vote doesn't count as much as the LEO's. Unless he considered the driver to be an RV transporter, I can't picture why he would issue the no-CDL citation.

Under the circumstances described, I'd be in court as well.

Rusty
I retired from law enforcement so was quite concerned since I wanted to be legal and I am shopping for a MH. The below site shows the laws state by state. The frustrating thing was I dropped my class B CDL a couple of years ago because I didn't want to bother with the medical exams cost. Oops, now I need to get the special license in WY. Requires written for class B and road test but no medical exams because not for hire.

http://http://changingears.com/rv-se...-license.shtml
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #42

Update -
CDL part of this story was dismissed , was not for hire, package that was picked up was for his own personal use.
Fines were paid for not having proper endorsement.
Lesson learned - class " C " only does not cut it. At least need to have class " B " or class
" A " non CDL for towing something as heavy as this turned out to be. Also if written permission had been obtained from the owner of the TV things would have been somewhat different.
CYA whenever possible.
Salad Bowl is offline   Reply With Quote