Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #1

CDL Requirements

I found several old threads on this subject. All were too old to add to, so I am starting this new.

I found this thread from earlier in the year,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
No state requires a CDL for a privately operated vehicle and states that have a requirement like you cited also have a section that exempts RVs used noncommercially.
I recently acquired a 43 ft Dutch Star and I was told that a Class B CDL is required in NV (I assumed it was based on the 26,0001# issue). I checked online at the NV DMV web site and found where it says that a Class B CDL is required for non-commercial operation of a vehicle weighing 26,001 pounds or more. However, on the next page there are "Exemptions" listed and it says that,

"You do not need a CDL to operate some vehicles that may fall within the GVWR descriptions".

It goes on to list the exemptions, starting with Farmers transporting equipment etc....

And then it also lists an exemption for "Recreational vehicle drivers using their RV's for non-commercial purposes".

So, I am wondering why anyone would think that a CDL class B license would be required for our motorhomes in Nevada. There is another place where it says You may need an endorsement for... and it lists a whole bunch of things that would not apply to our motorhomes, except for one item, AIR BRAKES. Could it be possible that the only reason we would need a CDL is because of the air brakes?

I am confused. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Endorsements are add ons for CDL's not regular licenses. If you don't need a CDL then it would follow you don't need an endorsement. However it is the guvmint.

CDL holder..

Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why would you need a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) for your private motorhome? A CDL is only for commercial drivers earning a living.
I'm glad WA specifically exempts RV'ers from needing anything but a normal drivers license.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
In Texas a Class B NON-CDL is required for a MH over 26001 lbs..... and that is where some folks get confused because they think all Class B's are CDL. As for air brakes.. you don't have to have the endorsement even if you have air brakes but you can add it if you wish.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
In Texas a class B NON-CDL license is required for vehicle at 26,001 lbs. According to documents in my coach's closet my GCWR is 26,000 lbs. I had my vehicle weighed loaded and wife on board and I am at 21,350 (4650 lbs under). Am I required in Texas to have a class B license? What do you think? Any current or former TX DPS out there?
TXUSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusguy View Post
in texas a class b non-cdl license is required for vehicle at 26,001 lbs. According to documents in my coach's closet my gcwr is 26,000 lbs. I had my vehicle weighed loaded and wife on board and i am at 21,350 (4650 lbs under). Am i required in texas to have a class b license? What do you think? Any current or former tx dps out there?
or other dps/state police officers????
TXUSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonandLaura View Post
I found several old threads on this subject. All were too old to add to, so I am starting this new.

I found this thread from earlier in the year,

I recently acquired a 43 ft Dutch Star and I was told that a Class B CDL is required in NV (I assumed it was based on the 26,0001# issue). I checked online at the NV DMV web site and found where it says that a Class B CDL is required for non-commercial operation of a vehicle weighing 26,001 pounds or more. However, on the next page there are "Exemptions" listed and it says that,

"You do not need a CDL to operate some vehicles that may fall within the GVWR descriptions".

It goes on to list the exemptions, starting with Farmers transporting equipment etc....

And then it also lists an exemption for "Recreational vehicle drivers using their RV's for non-commercial purposes".

So, I am wondering why anyone would think that a CDL class B license would be required for our motorhomes in Nevada. There is another place where it says You may need an endorsement for... and it lists a whole bunch of things that would not apply to our motorhomes, except for one item, AIR BRAKES. Could it be possible that the only reason we would need a CDL is because of the air brakes?

I am confused. Can anyone clear this up for me?
If I read the DMVNV website
correctly, you need a class B, NON-CDL license.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I live in Nevada and I can guarantee you definitely need a Class B if your coach weighs more than 26,000 lbs. If you also happen to pull a trailer weighing more than 10,000 lbs, you will need a Class A. These are commonly referred to as non-commercial Class A or B licenses. Take a look at pages 11 & 12 of the Nevada Driver's Handbook http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/dlbook.pdf Commercial drivers have to meet additional requirements.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXUSGUY View Post
or other dps/state police officers????
When we first got our RV, I made numerous phone calls to the Department of Public Safety, asking this exact question. I didn't get a consistent answer. I finally figured out on my own that our 22K RV didn't require a special license.

As for the "non-CDL" version for RVs over 26K pounds
1. They give you a CDL book to study for the test
2. They give a test with CDL like questions on it
3. The test includes a CDL like pretrip check out - which is where some folks flunk it.
4. The road test is like the CDL, including backing into a loading dock.

I don't care what you call it, if it looks like a duck, walks and quacks like a duck.......

I was stopped by a local officer who read me the riot act about my unsafe driving "of a 30K pound vehicle" after I handed him my class C license (which does not cover a 30K pound RV.) My guess is that only a small percentage of the LEOs in Texas understand the non-CDL licenses and that isn't surprising. There are over 10K laws in Texas that they are supposed to be familiar with that the RV community is quite small, with the percentage of over 26K MHs being smaller still.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
When we first got our RV, I made numerous phone calls to the Department of Public Safety, asking this exact question. I didn't get a consistent answer. I finally figured out on my own that our 22K RV didn't require a special license.

As for the "non-CDL" version for RVs over 26K pounds
1. They give you a CDL book to study for the test
2. They give a test with CDL like questions on it
3. The test includes a CDL like pretrip check out - which is where some folks flunk it.
4. The road test is like the CDL, including backing into a loading dock.

I don't care what you call it, if it looks like a duck, walks and quacks like a duck.......

I was stopped by a local officer who read me the riot act about my unsafe driving "of a 30K pound vehicle" after I handed him my class C license (which does not cover a 30K pound RV.) My guess is that only a small percentage of the LEOs in Texas understand the non-CDL licenses and that isn't surprising. There are over 10K laws in Texas that they are supposed to be familiar with that the RV community is quite small, with the percentage of over 26K MHs being smaller still.
Just being nosey, but were/are the "unsafe driving" conditions that he stopped you for in the first place? Just curious, so I don't do what ever you did.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #11

Thanks to everyone for the help. I am now convinced. I need the Class B CDL, or Class B Non-commercial CDL, what ever.

From what I can tell, the reference I found on the DMV Commercial Drivers Manual 2.0, exempting recreational vehicles, has been dropped from the literature.

We are heading out today (not in the Dutch Star) for Lake Powell for a week. I am taking all 62 pages of the Drivers Handbook with me to study. Will attempt to pass the test when I get back here on Oct. 12.

I drove all over the U.S. in a 40 foot Safari for several years when I was a CA resident and never even knew about these issues. This forum is great, as a new member, I really appreciate all the valuable information I have found here.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If your home state offers a class A or B non-CDL, and your RV configuration requires such, by all means go for the non-CDL. There are some very onerous disadvantages and requirements associated with holding a CDL that one would want to avoid if at all possible.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #13

Well was the 40' Safari over the weight limit? My 40' Safari Continental says 22,500 unloaded so I guess I'm ok?

Another question along these lines, what about the toad? I tow a Honda CRV, do I have to have remote brake system on that? In all states if so or just some?

AND... if so, any recommendation on a remote brake system for a 2006 Honda CRV just in case?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #14

I am sure the Safari went well over 26,000.