Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Central Florida Bus and RV World of Lakeland FL

I have been regularly coming to this site for research, recommendations and support during our entry into this RV lifestyle. So I thought I should take the time and return the favor in case it may help someone else.
I recently purchased a 2000 American Tradition as our first RV. My wife and I both enjoy the rig but had some issues with the purchase process that I would like to share. After the due diligence on the research of the manufacturer(s) we moved forward with a pre-purchase inspection by Central Florida Bus in Lakeland, FL. When I arrived there to get the results of the inspection I was a little disappointed at the lack of organization to the process and lack of communication from the person doing the walk-through with me. However, they confirmed some minor issues that we were already aware of and confirmed that all other systems were tested and worked as they should and that the rig was in great shape. Good news to us, we completed the purchase and took ownership. It didn't take us long to realize we did not know how to work the inverter system (the previous owner said he did not either since he never used it). Not understanding the implications of this we returned to Atlanta and we left the coach in Lakeland, FL and had the coach dropped off at RV World of Lakeland to address the minor issues and do the scheduled maintenance items on all of the house systems including cleaning and servicing the house & chassis batteries as well as testing the inverter and converter charging system. While in their possession they did notice an issue with the roof (a spot with a protrusion that may break through the rubber roof soon). Something that Central Florida Bus did not note that I feel they should have seen. RV World confirmed that they reset the converter/inverted to fix that issue. My father picked up the coach and parked it for me nearby for the next month. When I came back to Lakeland to pick up the coach on our way to a family camping trip I discovered the inverter was still not functioning. I drove it over to RV World of Lakeland and they brought out the gentleman that did the original work to look at it again. He looked around for about 15 minutes to no avail. He mentioned while I was in the coach with him with some surprise about how big the inverter was when he set eyes on it (not what I would expect to hear from the person who supposedly previously did the reset I paid for). I spoke with the service manager who claimed they reset the inverter and it showed no fault (without actually checking functionality) and that was their normal process for repairs. He acknowledged not going any further with the “testing” without any regret or attempts to correct except to explain that to dig further now would take an unknown number of diagnostic hours. My mind blown at their “process”, I realized these guys were going to be a waste of my time and I had a destination to get to, I left knowing I would never return to a place where that was acceptable. Within a day at camp I realized my batteries were dying and not charging under shore power. It didn't take me long to realize I had a real problem. My Inverter/Charger was fried. Additionally, my chassis batteries were toast. I find this type of failure hard to miss by either company that was paid to inspect the coach and paid to specifically address the troubled areas. None the less here I am. A few thousand dollars later I am back up and running with a new (working) inverter and charger system (thank to Kevin Mallory) as well as new chassis batteries. I guess now I can finally let my wife name the rig as I have been telling her to hold off on the personal attachment dynamic. The point to all this being that I think both companies failed us here but I will let everyone make their own determination on that and if and how they would use these companies in the future. Hope this helps someone specifically looking for background on these companies as I know it is hard to find sometimes.

Kevin & Kara
2000 American Tradition 37TRS, Spartan MM chassis, Cummins ISC 315
2004 GMC Envoy XUV (Demco Aluminator tow bar)
rECUpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #2

Thanks so much for sharing this information with us! Hope that all of your problems are solved now and you have many happy years of use!!

RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
i have met the owners of cental florada bus at a few rallys. and they have helped a lot of people at rallys with proublems hands on and advice case
in point i sold a tow dolly at a rally in arcadia fl. the man lived in lakeland
but was towing a trailer. john silver the owner of cental florida bus offered
to tow it up to lakeland for free. they are good people i am sure if you had talked to them they would of helped you out. i known of another family
that had the engine blow up in there rig not only did he give them full hockups he loaned them a car to use for free. and helped them find a good
used motor to save them a ton of money
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote