Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post

And Smores, dont forget the Smores
And my one beer a day. Dr's order.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #128

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:

You know, technically, its illegal to say 'No smokers', '55 or older', 'No children' (unless theres only room for 1-2 adults), 'No pets', etc, etc..
Uh, technically, what law (specific citation please) are you referring to?

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #129

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
I think the perfect solution would be for those that don't want any restrictions would be to get ten people, each with 250,000 and build their own cg. That way they could let anything and everything in, no restrictions, no rules and see how they did. That way it would be their money, their labor, their risk, and their loss. What? No takers? Instead they want someone else to do this, then sit back and bitch, and dictate how they can run it. BS! Grow up, if you don't fit, move on. Lots of state, and federal parks to choose from. Oh, that's right, you want the nice parks to allow whatever in.
Sorry, but that was a load of bull..
Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #130

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
It absolutely is "Discrimination" in the the very purest definition of the word. It doesn't have to be about race, religion, or gender to be discriminatory in nature. If we go to Merrian-Webster...

a : the act of discriminating
b : the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently
: the quality or power of finely distinguishing

a : the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually
b : prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment

Now discrimination is not necessarily always a bad thing. We as a society discriminate all the time, and in many cases it is "good" discrimination. Such as, we treat those who break the law differently than those who don't. That would fall under definition number 1 above. In fact, the very nature of law is to discriminate.

Some people are said to have "Discriminating tastes." this would be difinition number 2, and is again, not considered a bad thing.

For campgrounds to say... "if your rig is over 10 years old you're not welcome"... well that's "Discrimination" definition number 3... and I'll let each individual decide whether that's a bad thing or not.

I personally don't care. Yes I do have a coach older than 10 years, but I have never had a problem. In fact, I can't remember that the issue has ever come up at any campground or RV Park I've stayed in.

... that's my 2 cents
Thank you..
Old 08-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #131

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Don't take some peoples unease with this particular kind of rule as some kind of endorsement of anarchy. It isn't. We all can recognize that some rules are necessary, healthy and useful. The disagreement in this thread is whether or not the "age" of a unit is really a valid criteria for making this discrimination. Most of us understand well a CG Owners need to make their campgrounds neat and safe. This 10 year old rule doesn't ensure that at all. At best, it might make a campground look more contemporary but it says nothing about the quality of the people behind the wheel. Rude, inconsiderate people come in all shapes, sizes and income groups. Is a 30 year old house better than a 40 year old house? Depends really oh how it is taken care. Same thing with these kinds of rules, each case is different.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, one of my most recent camping experiences had a totally obnoxious 5th wheel owner in the CG. By this rule, they would get into the 10 year or less campground no problem because their unit was only a couple of years old. There site was a complete jumble of stuff, music playing all day, loud voices calling to each other to be heard over the music and so on. I on the other hand would be forced to prove that my rig and I were fit to be allowed in. Nice quiet folks, very respectful of others space and keep a neat site. Hopefully that puts into perspective why it might rankle to have to "prove" you are fit to belong and being completely at the whim of whomever you get behind the counter on a given day simply based on the age of my rig.
Thank you!!

I am just amazed that people dont get this simple point..

I once saw a show about RV parks. From State to Fancy Resort. There was one couple who commented that they like to pay $2500 dollars (I think) a month for a 'Resort' because they didnt want to park their $1 Mil 'New' coach next to someones 'that was old'. Funny thing was the 'Resort' was just a gravel road and concrete pad...
Old 08-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #132

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Well said. I am surprised at how many responses were to defend the CG owners 'rights.' I am more dismayed that so few seem to have any problem with the prejudice displayed by this arbitrary idea that a 10 year old rig is the 'line in the sand' that makes us second class citizens.

All of you with rigs made in 2003, enjoy your privileges, you are about to be downgraded!

As said earlier in the thread "Everybody can go buy that new rig.."So, better hop to it and start buying..
Old 08-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #133

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
If people are going to be snobs, whether its at an exclusive RV resort, country club, gated community, or whatever - I'm happy to let them go off and do that and impress each other in their private club. Then they'll leave me alone and I won't have to try to 'keep up with the Jonses'
Old 08-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #134

Just my dos centavos but: I retired from law enforcement and I don't think you can discriminate on an object - such as a motor home, or a bicycle or roller skates, Ford or Chevy, etc. You can discriminate against an individual but it's a stretch (to me) to carry it over to an object (specifically, the age of a motor home). Discrimination is about people not objects or possessions or age of motor homes.
This definition is a bit different from one quoted in a message above.

Discrimination is the prejudicial treatment of an individual based on his or her membership - or perceived membership - in a certain group or category. It involves the group's initial reaction or interaction, influencing the individual's actual behavior to wards the group or the group leader, restricting members of one group from opportunities that are available to a group, leading to the exclusion of the individual or entities based on logical or irrational decision making.[1]

OK, let's all get out our law dictionaries and dissect this to the finest degree.

A few years ago I was declined at two different RV parks because of the age of my RV. I stayed elsewhere. You can bet I haven't asked for a reservation at those parks now that my somewhat newer RV would meet the age qualification. I think in the long run they lose, they lost my business but also any recommendations I may have made along the way about those parks. Do I think the RV parks have the right to limit the type and age of RVs they allow into their park - Yes I do but I'm not sure it's in the long term best interest of the park to do so. Just my opinion.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #135

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ok, so my RV is NOT being discriminated against?

Wikipedia's definition is social based..

dis·crim·i·na·tion

   [dih-skrim-uh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA
noun 1. an act or instance of discriminating.

2. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

3. the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment: She chose the colors with great discrimination.

4. Archaic . something that serves to differentiate.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discrimination
Old 08-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #136

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
This is very common in "residental" RV parks. If you are going to live there for a long time they don't want it to look like a place for trailer park trash.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #137

Quote:

dis·crim·i·na·tion

2. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

3. the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment: She chose the colors with great discrimination.

Discrimination | Define Discrimination at Dictionary.com
So take the RV park to court. Sue them for discrimination. better yet to save yourself a lot of money, get a free consultation from a lawyer about suing the RV park for discrimination. Good luck finding one that will take the case.
Time to act on it or let it go.

DC
Old 08-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
ZEP or RMP#3 could make a 20 YO acceptable.
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #139

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

dis·crim·i·na·tion

Discrimination | Define Discrimination at Dictionary.com
If they're asking for a picture then the park is judging each RV on its individual merit thereby not discriminating based on the definition #2. Now the resorts that are "class A only" are discriminating based on that definition.

BTW, Dunner's right, a weekend spent putting Zep/RMP on can make a huge difference.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #140

Monaco Owners Club
I'm the original poster. I asked if anyone had encountered this issue. It had been many years since we had camped and we certainly never expected this kind of an attitude in the RV community. But, I'm still not going to stereotype by the age of a rig, I am so excited about this adventure and we will meet some great people and hopefully, cross everything off that bucket list Happy camping and hope to see SOME of you down the road

cb