Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #155

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnotes View Post
Yipee!!! NOW, let's go campin' Beer and a Smores anyone? I understand the Beer and Chocolate are now considered medicinal !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #156

Vintage RV Owners Club
Laughed when I saw this discussion... wondering where in the world are they gonna let me camp. Don't wanna afford a resort. Don't wanna afford a snazzy new camper.... might upgrade to a better bed design, after the spousal unit retires, if he continues to enjoy camping, if not... I'll drive the old lady till she dies...again. I was happy in a tent until my old bones weren't happy about the ground anymore and it took as much room to haul all the gear my increased age required... so I decided to haul it in a camper that is ready to go when I am and not have to pack it all up and lug it about in my truck bed anymore. So far we have slept 1) on an abandoned airstrip, 2) next to a cousin's house, and 3) in a state park. No one said a thing about the old lady at the actual camp ground...but it was at Easter and not many were out camping yet. It will be interesting to see people's reactions. My MIL saw the picture of our rig when we went to the fly in and didn't think it was a motor home. LOL... I don't care what folks think, but it might just be amusing. You see that big smile on my face? that what camping is all about!

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #157

Thor Owners Club
Your camper looks nice and well kept. You'd pass the test.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #158

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, I'm half way throught reading this thread and I just have to ask a question. Of all the posters on this thread who are the attorneys?

I'm not a lawyer, however in my opinion this is not discrimination since the only thing that may not being allowed is the RV. The campground is not making a judgment on the owner, just the RV.

Redefining the word discrimination, which is commonly used to define the singling out of a person or a class of people, to include a mechanical vehicle is, in my opinion, not something people can just decide to do.

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #159

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
Wow, I'm half way throught reading this thread and I just have to ask a question. Of all the posters on this thread who are the attorneys?

I'm not a lawyer, however in my opinion this is not discrimination since the only thing that may not being allowed is the RV. The campground is not making a judgment on the owner, just the RV.

Redefining the word discrimination, which is commonly used to define the singling out of a person or a class of people, to include a mechanical vehicle is, in my opinion, not something people can just decide to do.

Discrimination is a lot more than singling out a person or group.. Yours is the 'Media Definition' , or PC if you prefer..
Old 08-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #160

Sorry, Jim, but I have to agree with Marc & Jan. The way I was taught was discrimination was against people not objects or RV's. Some parks have a selection process covering ages of RV's and that's not discrimination (according to what I was taught). I was not allowed to make a reservation in a park in New Mexico several years ago because my RV did not meet the requirements of the RV park. Other members of my group with newer RV's were allowed to make reservations. I don't think the park decision was based on age, race, color but simply because the park sets a criteria my RV did not meet. One of the RV parks in Las Vegas also declined me because of the age of my RV - they didn't even ask for a photo.

I think I understand your feelings and frustrations but simply don't agree. Isn't that part of the American way - we get to have different opinions and we do get to express them. I'd hope if we meet in an RV park along the way we'd be able to discuss this and not resolve the issue but come up with a better understanding of the opposite opinions.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog
Sorry, Jim, but I have to agree with Marc & Jan. The way I was taught was discrimination was against people not objects or RV's. Some parks have a selection process covering ages of RV's and that's not discrimination (according to what I was taught). I was not allowed to make a reservation in a park in New Mexico several years ago because my RV did not meet the requirements of the RV park. Other members of my group with newer RV's were allowed to make reservations. I don't think the park decision was based on age, race, color but simply because the park sets a criteria my RV did not meet. One of the RV parks in Las Vegas also declined me because of the age of my RV - they didn't even ask for a photo.

I think I understand your feelings and frustrations but simply don't agree. Isn't that part of the American way - we get to have different opinions and we do get to express them. I'd hope if we meet in an RV park along the way we'd be able to discuss this and not resolve the issue but come up with a better understanding of the opposite opinions.
Bob
I don't know why I can't just leave this alone but...

Discrimination can be applied to objects. That's where the expression "she has Discriminating" tastes" comes from. "She" - in this case - is exercising discrimination over physical objects... and that is an appropriate use of the word.

Note that it can also be used for humans equally well, and has been. Unfortunately, it has been used so much with a negative connotation, that many have come to the conclusion that it only applies to humans when addressing race, gender, age, etc. This would be a legal definition of the word.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #162

Gulf Streamers Club
I think the word that describes this 10 year limit is prejudice, not discrimination. They are making assumptions and PRE JUDGING the people and their behaviors without actually meeting or knowing them, solely based on the age of their RV. Discrimination can be good, as in 'discriminating taste' or bad as in 'we discriminate in who we allow in.' Prejudice, in my eyes, is always bad. I like to get to know someone before I hate them!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #163

Monaco Owners Club
The two sides will NEVER agree on this. One side is saying it's their "right" and the other is saying it isn't right. Two different things.

Isn't the english language a real trip
Old 08-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #164

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send the photo, then ask them to send you a report that the hydro, water, etc. is up to code and spec.

Tell them to many campgrounds have poor hydro and water quality and you need to verify that it is less than 10 years old.

Personally hate the rule of 10 years......
Bert_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #165

I don't see the problem it's their private park and can do with it as they seem fit. It's no different than getting your plans approved to build a house at a country club.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #166

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_64 View Post
Send the photo, then ask them to send you a report that the hydro, water, etc. is up to code and spec.

Tell them to many campgrounds have poor hydro and water quality and you need to verify that it is less than 10 years old.

Personally hate the rule of 10 years......
While that request is perfectly reasonable I would be afraid it would get you an instant "no".

If the OPer really wants to stay at that park he will have to bite his tongue, be nice and just send the photo. If they can't get past the parks request than they simply need to find another CG. Right or wrong that is the bottom line. I don't see it being worth the trouble to fight them on it. Even if you could win the park surely won't be friendly and I can't imagine them reserving you the best site in the place.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #167

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another thought

I have a "mature" MH because I'm cheap, so I probably would not pay their (assumed) high rates regardless.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #168

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
I don't know why I can't just leave this alone but...

Discrimination can be applied to objects. That's where the expression "she has Discriminating" tastes" comes from. "She" - in this case - is exercising discrimination over physical objects... and that is an appropriate use of the word.
You are correct. Discrimination is a multiple meaning word and can be a noun or a verb. You cant just decide to turn a noun into a verb unless you change the meaning of the word an how it's used. Here are a few examples:
  1. I have a golden lab for a pet. I like to pet dogs.
  2. We will build a fire and roast marshmallows. The boss will fire him.
  3. The police captured the criminal. Police the area for any litter.
This debate is why lawyers make so much money. Gotta love it!

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote