Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #169

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Lots of things going on in this thread.

First thing that strikes me is the negative connotations the word 'Discriminate' seems to have. Discrimination is a basic human function, we all do it every day. People discriminate when they choose the shinier apple from the pile. People discriminate when they choose which CG they want to stay in. A business who discriminates when choosing those with whom they want to do business is no different.

So what if I want to start a CG that only allows Prevosts, or tents, or people who are not bald, or whatever? What if I want to cater to smokers, and allow smoking everywhere on the property? What if I want to require display of a sidearm? What if I want to cater to a specific race, or a specific religion?

And what about my Freemasons only CG would cause an agnostic guy to want to stay there? Should he be surprised when I turn him away? Wouldn't he seek out a CG that more agrees with his lifestyle?

Of the people who think discrimination of this sort is wrong, who thinks it is governments place to forbid it? Should not the free market decide who thrives and who fails?

Please don't misconstrue this to mean I advocate racism or whatever. I think business that are inclusive will probably be far more successful than ones who discriminate. I just think the free market should decide rather than the government dictate.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #170

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I don't see the problem it's their private park and can do with it as they seem fit. It's no different than getting your plans approved to build a house at a country club.
Not to be a nitpicker but doesn't that statement totally contradict itself. If the owner can do what he sees fit, then why does he need to get approval?

A man and his castle is a somewhat of a myth. You may have a larger amount of autonomy but it isn't total. A CG owner is even more subject to rules and regulations because they are opening their property up to the public as a business. They are required to meet some heath and safety standards.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadrand View Post
I wouldn't stay anyplace that judges me by how much money I have.
Has nothing to do with your bank balance!

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #172

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
Has nothing to do with your bank balance!
Pretty much, yes it does..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Pretty much, yes it does..
I agree that the 10yr rule is discriminatory. Can't agree that there is a correlation between one's bank balance & the age of their RV.

Anyway, help me understand why discrimination in this respect is wrong? Just for fun, let's imagine that you took your life savings and borrowed a couple of million to build a beautiful new CG.

1) If we accept/agree that all rules will discriminate or offend someone....will your CG have NO rules.... Anything goes?

2) Assuming you accept that your CG will have to have some rules....would you be OK if some "authority" showed-up and edited or eliminated your rules on the grounds that they were discriminatory?

3) However stupid, narrow-minded, short sighted, you decide that you do not want beat-up, worn-out, rundown RV's in your CG.... How would you propose to keep them out (discriminate)? In fact, how will you establish any standards in your CG without offending (discriminating) against someone or something?

Nor trying to insult or offend anyone, but for all those that feel this rule is discriminatory and offensive.....how would you propose to establish some standards & rules in your CG....or do you feel that the appearance & condition of one's RV is a sacred civil right which should be protected from discrimination by law?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #174

Monaco Owners Club
Seriously.....they have the "right" to do anything they want, but that doesn't make it "right"!

1) Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. I don't think anyone has proposed NO rules in a CG.

2) Statements like "keep them out, do not want, beat-up, worn-out, rundown RV's" and only applying that to RV's over 10 years old is patently WRONG!

3) Making that connection IS insulting, stupid, narrow minded, short sighted and down right RUDE!
pawnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #175

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
I agree that the 10yr rule is discriminatory. Can't agree that there is a correlation between one's bank balance & the age of their RV.

Anyway, help me understand why discrimination in this respect is wrong? Just for fun, let's imagine that you took your life savings and borrowed a couple of million to build a beautiful new CG.

1) If we accept/agree that all rules will discriminate or offend someone....will your CG have NO rules.... Anything goes?

2) Assuming you accept that your CG will have to have some rules....would you be OK if some "authority" showed-up and edited or eliminated your rules on the grounds that they were discriminatory?

3) However stupid, narrow-minded, short sighted, you decide that you do not want beat-up, worn-out, rundown RV's in your CG.... How would you propose to keep them out (discriminate)? In fact, how will you establish any standards in your CG without offending (discriminating) against someone or something?

Nor trying to insult or offend anyone, but for all those that feel this rule is discriminatory and offensive.....how would you propose to establish some standards & rules in your CG....or do you feel that the appearance & condition of one's RV is a sacred civil right which should be protected from discrimination by law?
SIGH

Again, please... IF THEY POST/SAY THEY REQUIRE A PICTURE FROM ALL APPLICANTS AT THE TIME OF RESERVATION, AND DO IT, THEN IT WOULD BE OK, as I have stated several times.To ask for pictures only after learning the coach the person wants to bring is in 10 years old IS DISCRIMINATION!!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #176
laj

Discrimination is legal. Only when it points to a person in a specific way does it become illegal
Period. That's the law. Like it or not.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #177

Monaco Owners Club
Well, the coach sure doesn't drive it's self or make the reservation. Besides, just because it is "legal" doesn't make it "right", as in correct, proper etc.

You may have the "right" to go when the light turns green, but if that 18 wheeler is barreling thru the intersection......you are DEAD right!

So you're "right" was a bad decision and this CG pix stuff is bad too. IMHO
pawnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #178

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Discrimination is legal. Only when it points to a person in a specific way does it become illegal
Period. That's the law. Like it or not.
Again, who said it was illegal?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #179
laj

And did they tell the driver he couldn't walk in? No! They said his M/ H couldn't go in. Now what, you gonna try to tell us the m/ h had a heart beat?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #180

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
And did they tell the driver he couldn't walk in? No! They said his M/ H couldn't go in. Now what, you gonna try to tell us the m/ h had a heart beat?
Um... okie dokie..
Old 08-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #181
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Again, who said it was illegal?
The law does when it is used against an inanimate object.

Here's something for you to ponder on. I am licensed In 7 different states to practice law in. I can't just waltz in to that 8th one and set up an office, or even represent a client in that state unless I go by their rules, I.E pass their state bar exam and pay my money. Now, is that discrimination or going by the rules? If that didn't work every attorney across the us would have a CAS that wouldn't quit.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #182

Thor Owners Club
If you have a 10+ year old RV and feel you have been discriminated against, you have an ill kept (ugly) old RV. It's not discrimination ; it's called rules.

Plus even if I showered perfectly and went to a restaurant with no shoes and no shirt, the business would not let me in. They aren't discriminating but ensuring an environment that people feel comfortable in. In the end customers come back because of the atmosphere.