Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #211
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Hey I get it! To deny someone access to an RV Park based upon the age of their RV is discrimination. It is particularly egregious since it is selective ( applies to some not all). So is a Pet rule...so is an Age rule (no children) (+55)....so is a Clothing rule .... So is a No Guns rule.... so is a ClassA only rule...so is a No Outside Smoking rule.... In fact CG's have a lot of discriminatory "selective" rules.

I feel your pain...I'm a pet owner.

So......your money... your skin in the game....your CG.

Are you or are you not going to establish standards & rules (discriminate) in YOUR CG against RV's on the basis of age, physical appearance or structural integrity?

Let's assume you are...OK? Let's also assume you will NOT apply your rules selectively (they will apply to everyone)......OK?

I'm curious... how will you develop & implement your discriminatory rules for RV standards in your CG?

1) Will they be objective ...,everyone, regardless of the age of their RV, will be required to submit a photo prior to acceptance into your CG.

2) Will you be the ONLY judge of acceptability or will you have a committee?

3) Will you publish your rules and standards of acceptability or will you judge every RV upon their arrival at the gate.

4) OR will your rules ( discrimination) be subjective? You or your committee will just decide on a unit by unit basis depending on your "gut" feel.

Again... This is just in the spirit of discussion, not a challenge to you as a person or your integrity. BTW....The most offensive guy where we are currently camped is the guy in a "mint" Prevost with an "loud" outdoor entertainment center. Him...I do not like.

In fact, in MY CG, I would discriminate against anyone with an outdoor entertainment center. Since these things are relatively new (within the last 10yrs), I would require that any RV produced after the advent of the flat screen TV would have to submit a photo proving that they did not have an outside EC.
Sorry, dont wanna answer the 1-4 questions, but, I DO agree with the rest of your post
__________________

__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #212
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
Dude, it's clear that you have a cross to burn here. Has your rig been refused by a campground?

You are entitled to your opinion, however what you see as discrimination the majority of posters see as rules set by a private establishment.

Again you don't get to change the accepted definition of a word to suit your feelings. You don't get to make the rules unless you are the owner and it's your money that's at risk, if you make the wrong rules.

Um... ok..

dis·crim·i·na·tion

   [dih-skrim-uh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA
noun 1. an act or instance of discriminating.

2. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

3. the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment: She chose the colors with great discrimination.

4. Archaic . something that serves to differentiate.



--------------------------------

Basing the picture rule on RVs older than 10 yrs is 'discrimination based on a group, class, or category'..

YOU quit trying to redefine the meaning of the word.. No chill pills required.
__________________

__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #213
Senior Member
 
Theberrys's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,605
Here in the good old USA we are supposed to be born equal with equal opportunities. Because of the equal opportunity part we don't have to stay socially or financially equal as we go through life. To force everyone to be totally equal throughout their lives would defeat the basic premise of a democracy.
I'm OK with these kinds of rules, they give us motivation and a reason to be what we want to be, either way. You don't have to aspire to one of these parks but you should have that choice.
I have met people I aspire to be like, and people I aspire NOT to be like, if that's discrimination then I'm a discriminator.
Dick
__________________
1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #214
Senior Member
 
FW5000DRIVER's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 259
Who's got two thumbs and keeps his rig clean? This guy!

If a campground asked me for a photo of my 12 year old RV I would proudly show them this. I am ready for anyone to check my RV's exterior because I take pride in maintaining my rig. In this photo I just got new tires all around from Firestone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-27_15-09-29_852.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	24444  
__________________
2000 Four Winds 5000 Model 28A
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FW5000DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #215
Senior Member
 
62_inrightlane's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida / Georgia / Michigan
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Um... ok..

dis·crim·i·na·tion

   [dih-skrim-uh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA
noun 1. an act or instance of discriminating.

2. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

3. the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment: She chose the colors with great discrimination.

4. Archaic . something that serves to differentiate.

--------------------------------

Basing the picture rule on RVs older than 10 yrs is 'discrimination based on a group, class, or category'..

YOU quit trying to redefine the meaning of the word.. No chill pills required.
Using the dictionary.com definition above you just provided the argument against your argument.


The campground, by asking for a picture, is not discriminating against , a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs. Thay are making a decision to allow or not allow the RV based on it's individual merit.

__________________
Marc & Jan
Molly, Abby & Katie | The Cocker K-9 Kids!|Toad 2014 Cadillac SRX
2012 Berkshire 360FWS, Brake Buddy Vantage|Wineguard Travler SK-3005 |TST 507 TPMS
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #216
Senior Member
 
fbh31118's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 143
I think that the wife and I must be going about it all wrong. If we see or hear of a place that interests us we stop and check it out. We go so far as to get out of the car and walk around with the brochure of the place and circle what we like and 'x' what we don't like. If it doesn't meet our needs we move on, if it does we stay. If we stay we get a detailed look at what works good for our rig and note it in the brochure, later to be filed away in our vacation folder at home, for future reference. Must be doing it all wrong again.
__________________
99 Dutchman Lite. 30'. 2002 Ford F-350 Superduty 7.3 Liter Navistar Diesel manual 4x4, 3.73 ratio, True Blue, Bone StockSOLD! Current tow beast: 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel Allison 1000 Automatic 4x4, 3.73, Onxy Black, Bone Stock.
fbh31118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #217
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
Using the dictionary.com definition above you just provided the argument against your argument.


The campground, by asking for a picture, is not discriminating against , a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs. Thay are making a decision to allow or not allow the RV based on it's individual merit.

So wait, 10 yr old RVs is not a 'group'?? Really? Arbitrarily grouping all 10+ yr RVs into a group, is NOT grouping??? Classifying all 10+ yr RVs as 'suspect' and needing 'verification' is NOT classifying?

(moderator edit)
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #218
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 736
I can't believe I just read all 217 posts about nothing. I feel so stupid...
Two groups that can't seem to agree on the definition of a word that has two
definitions. You people crack me up.
Obviously the campground can make the rules and all you can do is whine.
All this quibbling and nothing will come of it, not one campground will change
their policy. Because they have every right to have that policy, whether all of
you self-righteous people like it or not.
Call it discrimination or whatever you like, it won't change a thing, so you
might as well give up now, before you fall off of your soapbox and get hurt.
So don't just whine about it, do something about it. Call the campground
that has a 10 year rule and tell them you will never stay there until they
change the rule. Let your wallet speak.
Of course, they won't care or change the rule, but you will feel better...
That's my opinion and yours doesn't matter much to me.....

.
__________________
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #219
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,117
It's been real entertaining, but the horse is dead and the movie is over, time to exit.

Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. - Mark Twain.

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. - Proverbs 26:4

Fool - an ardent enthusiast who cannot resist an opportunity to indulge an enthusiasm (usually preceded by a present participle)
__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #220
Senior Member
 
MaxTurner1's Avatar
 
Nor'easters Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 140
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
A m e n .
__________________
Radio Engineer
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 35A
Toad 2010 Jeep Liberty / Blue Ox Aladdin
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #221
Senior Member
 
62_inrightlane's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida / Georgia / Michigan
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
So wait, 10 yr old RVs is not a 'group'?? Really? Arbitrarily grouping all 10+ yr RVs into a group, is NOT grouping??? Classifying all 10+ yr RVs as 'suspect' and needing 'verification' is NOT classifying?

I give up. The education system has obviously let you down..
Ouch!
__________________
Marc & Jan
Molly, Abby & Katie | The Cocker K-9 Kids!|Toad 2014 Cadillac SRX
2012 Berkshire 360FWS, Brake Buddy Vantage|Wineguard Travler SK-3005 |TST 507 TPMS
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #222
Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 96
The campground is a KOA, the request was made AFTER I had registered and paid for the reservation, the CG was full of tent campers, Type A-C, older to brand new. I drove up in a 2012 Toyota FJ TT (brand new), I was dressed in new clothes (Jeans and a nice blouse, new shoes (not flip flops)), my husband has a business haircut and was dressed in golf shirt, chino shorts (It is summer in Florida) and Mephisto Sandals (NOT cheap). Not that any of that should matter, but apparently to some folks it does.

It is their policy to request a picture or inspect all 10+ yo coaches. I didn't ask their reasoning. It could be aesthetics or safety/health concerns, or maybe profiling of the owner. I don't know their reasoning behind this reg.

I sent the pix, we were nicely approved, however, we had not camped in many years and I was VERY surprised. This isn't a Class A only CG/Resort/Park. It's just a conveniently located park for us and it was clean, the people were extremely nice and friendly.

It is disconcerting in Florida, because when all the snowbirds get down here, you can barely find a place to park your coach. My daughter and family own an older Class C that is in very good shape. Where will they be able to park when they come to visit? The HOA won't let them park on the street for a weekend. Do they have to go to Disney every time? (they allow everyone)

For campers there is so much more to this than just the definition of a word or the rights of a private business person. My concern is: Will the people who own older coaches eventually end up pushed out of camping?

Anyway, next time I'll know to ask the age question and make my decision accordingly.

Thanks for all the input, it's been a real eye opener to say the least.......ya'll be safe!
__________________
pawnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #223
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnotes View Post

For campers there is so much more to this than just the definition of a word or the rights of a private business person. My concern is: Will the people who own older coaches eventually end up pushed out of camping?
IMO the answer is, not only no... but heck no. This entire 10 year discussion is an interesting exercise and discussion but I believe it applies to a very small percentage of parks and I don't see that percentage growing very rapidly.

And FWIW, I believe that any park with restrictions like this MUST inform anyone making a reservation that they have these criteria. To wait for a guest to arrive before informing them is completely unacceptable.

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #224
Senior Member
 
Senior Chief's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere in the woods in Belfair, WA, WA
Posts: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
It's been real entertaining, but the horse is dead and the movie is over, time to exit.

Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. - Mark Twain.

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. - Proverbs 26:4

Fool - an ardent enthusiast who cannot resist an opportunity to indulge an enthusiasm (usually preceded by a present participle)
I think this is a little too personal an attack- whether you agree with the varying opinions or not, its cheap.
__________________

__________________
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen


Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.