Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #225

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
IMO the answer is, not only no... but heck no. This entire 10 year discussion is an interesting exercise and discussion but I believe it applies to a very small percentage of parks and I don't see that percentage growing very rapidly.

And FWIW, I believe that any park with restrictions like this MUST inform anyone making a reservation that they have these criteria. To wait for a guest to arrive before informing them is completely unacceptable.

Rick
Thank you!!!

Finally..

I would also say to wait until after most, if not all, of the reservation application is already done also is unacceptable and should be done upfront and for everyone...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #226

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
It's been real entertaining, but the horse is dead and the movie is over, time to exit.

Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. - Mark Twain.

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. - Proverbs 26:4

Fool - an ardent enthusiast who cannot resist an opportunity to indulge an enthusiasm (usually preceded by a present participle)
Since I know what side of the camp you are in, I am going to infer that this was meant for me... And basically uncalled for.

BTW - There have been about 7-8 people (I guess) that have posted they have an issue with the definition of discrimination. I have dozens of PM's from those who think otherwise, put dont wish to post because of fear of attacks..

Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #227

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
I can't believe I just read all 217 posts about nothing. I feel so stupid...
Two groups that can't seem to agree on the definition of a word that has two
definitions. You people crack me up.
Obviously the campground can make the rules and all you can do is whine.
All this quibbling and nothing will come of it, not one campground will change
their policy. Because they have every right to have that policy, whether all of
you self-righteous people like it or not.
Call it discrimination or whatever you like, it won't change a thing, so you
might as well give up now, before you fall off of your soapbox and get hurt.
So don't just whine about it, do something about it. Call the campground
that has a 10 year rule and tell them you will never stay there until they
change the rule. Let your wallet speak.
Of course, they won't care or change the rule, but you will feel better...
That's my opinion and yours doesn't matter much to me.....

Your right, of course.. They wont change..
Old 08-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #228

OK - we have a lot of discussion about whether it is discrimination and we are not going to resolve this by sending messages back and forth. I've given my opinion earlier in this thread. I'd suggest you (& others) provide a listing of these parks with the ten year rule and any other similar restrictions and I will support your position by not staying at those parks.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #229

Quote:
It is disconcerting in Florida, because when all the snowbirds get down here, you can barely find a place to park your coach. My daughter and family own an older Class C that is in very good shape. Where will they be able to park when they come to visit? The HOA won't let them park on the street for a weekend. Do they have to go to Disney every time? (they allow everyone)
As a winter FL resident, finding a place has nothing to do with age of rv, and everything to do with supply and demand. Unless you can make reservations months in advance there are very few places to park an rv in Florida in prime winter months. When we want a weekend trip during the winter, we go to north Fl or Al or GA as places to park in FL are just too scarce. During non prime time you can pick and choose where to stay. Everything is empty.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
BTW - There have been about 7-8 people (I guess) that have posted they have an issue with the definition of discrimination. I have dozens of PM's from those who think otherwise, put dont wish to post because of fear of attacks..
Ouch. This bothers me.

Jim, I viewed our exchanges a bit back as a good ol' campfire discussion with a couple beers and friends who have a differing opinion and are talking about the world. A couple guys agreeing to disagree but nothing personal and respecting each other's views. I dropped out when the various postings started getting a bit heated and going a bit sideways.

Bothers me that some would feel they can't put in their 2 cents without being attacked... not what this is supposed to be about. Everyone should be able to express their thoughts without a slapdown. I've got my own opinions on many topics, and like everyone I'm probably "right" about 50% of the time.

So Jim I'm backing out of this again, but just wanted to say nothing personal from me to you, enjoyed the exchange of thoughts and opinions.

Ed

And no, you haven't changed my mind...
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #231

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Ouch. This bothers me.

Jim, I viewed our exchanges a bit back as a good ol' campfire discussion with a couple beers and friends who have a differing opinion and are talking about the world. A couple guys agreeing to disagree but nothing personal and respecting each other's views. I dropped out when things started getting a bit heated and going a bit sideways.

Bothers me that some would feel they can't put in their 2 cents without being attacked... not what this is supposed to be about. Everyone should be able to express their thoughts without a slapdown. I've got my own opinions on many topics, and like everyone I'm probably "right" about 50% of the time.

So Jim I'm backing out of this again, but just wanted to say nothing personal from me to you, enjoyed the exchange of thoughts and opinions.

Ed

And no, you haven't changed my mind...
Thanks Ed.. I too feel that this should be a simple, clean, exchange of opinions, and I actually like a good healthy debate as it forces me to look at my own views with a more critical eye.. but some seem to want to jump in and start swinging which causes a knee-jerk reaction back and things start rolling down hill real quick. I've tried to hold my own reaction to 'a dirty look' and shake of the head

Give it time.. I'm sure I will at least get you to agree to some of it I mean, RickO is coming around
Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #232

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Since I know what side of the camp you are in, I am going to infer that this was meant for me... And basically uncalled for.

In psychology, the false-consensus effect is a cognitive bias whereby a person tends to overestimate how much other people agree with him or her. There is a tendency for people to assume that their own opinions, beliefs, preferences, values and habits are 'normal' and that others also think the same way that they do. This cognitive bias tends to lead to the perception of a consensus that does not exist, a 'false consensus'.

It's ok and healthy, for differences of opinion. Nothing wrong with good healthy debate! People shouldn't make it or take it personal.

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #233

Quote:
Thanks Ed.. I too feel that this should be a simple, clean, exchange of opinions, and I actually like a good healthy debate as it forces me to look at my own views with a more critical eye.. but some seem to want to jump in and start swinging which causes a knee-jerk reaction back and things start rolling down hill real quick. I've tried to hold my own reaction to 'a dirty look' and shake of the head

Give it time.. I'm sure I will at least get you to agree to some of it I mean, RickO is coming around
And some seem to be in the middle of the disagreement often. I guess it's just their nature.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Hey... hey... hey.

My views haven't actually changed on the subject... I've just taken the time to listen to what you were saying. That's when I realized we weren't all that far apart.

I, like others, did get hung up on the "legal" aspect of the question at first. YES, CG owners have a "right" to set their own rules within the existing law and limiting the age of coaches is within that right. The thing is, nobody was really disputing that... they were just saying they felt it was wrong to do it that way. I understand that view. I also felt all along that it should go without saying that CGs need to tell customers of these restrictions up front when reservations are being made.

But I agree that these types of discussions are valuable IF we're able to take a deep breath and listen to what everyone is saying. Hard to believe that this one didn't get political... talk about guns... or even Pit Bulls.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #235

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
In psychology, the false-consensus effect is a cognitive bias whereby a person tends to overestimate how much other people agree with him or her. There is a tendency for people to assume that their own opinions, beliefs, preferences, values and habits are 'normal' and that others also think the same way that they do. This cognitive bias tends to lead to the perception of a consensus that does not exist, a 'false consensus'.

It's ok and healthy, for differences of opinion. Nothing wrong with good healthy debate! People shouldn't make it or take it personal.

Agree.. which is why those who claim I need to 'shut up now and get off the soap box, fool' should not be so confident that they are right
Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #236

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety View Post
And some seem to be in the middle of the disagreement often. I guess it's just their nature.
Some people are trolls..
Old 08-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #237

Quote:
Agree.. which is why those who claim I need to 'shut up now and get off the soap box, fool' should not be so confident that they are right
Who said anything about a "soapbox". A " 40' flatbed trailer maybe " but you would fall off very quickly from a soapbox. All the rant and pace, rant and pace, would be very dangerous for you.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #238

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hey... hey... hey.

My views haven't actually changed on the subject... I've just taken the time to listen to what you were saying. That's when I realized we weren't all that far apart.

I, like others, did get hung up on the "legal" aspect of the question at first. YES, CG owners have a "right" to set their own rules within the existing law and limiting the age of coaches is within that right. The thing is, nobody was really disputing that... they were just saying they felt it was wrong to do it that way. I understand that view. I also felt all along that it should go without saying that CGs need to tell customers of these restrictions up front when reservations are being made.

But I agree that these types of discussions are valuable IF we're able to take a deep breath and listen to what everyone is saying. Hard to believe that this one didn't get political... talk about guns... or even Pit Bulls.

Rick
Thanks.. wish everyone would take the time. So many are caught up in the political/media world of pointing fingers and crying 'foul' at any mention of a word or phrase that hey lose sight of what the real discussion is about...