Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #99
Senior Member
 
MickBrennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Playa del Carmen, Q.R., Mexico
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Others have used the word 'illegal' in questioning me. I never said it was 'illegal' for these parks to do this. Only that it was 'discrimination'. Discrimination is not, in and of itself, illegal. But it is wrong, especially if it is discriminating against those who my not be able to purchase that 'newer coach'. In fact, your sentence to that fact was absolutely
contradictory. "Finances permitting" is EXACTLY what were talking about and why it is discrimination.
Sorry you feel so strongly.

So your argument is, you should be allowed to dictate how a business owner manages based on a perceived definition of fairness in proportion to disposable income? Where does it stop? A person can't afford an RV, would a cardboard box suffice?

Nobody ever told me life was fair.
__________________

__________________
Story here
MickBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #100
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,117
Some cruises and restaurants require evening gowns and suits to attend dinner. You're not wearing shoes and/or shirt, you're not buying anything here. You cannot enter if you are wearing motorcycle attire. You legally carry a concealed weapon, but you can't in my place. The list goes on... Even many cities have "eyesore" laws. If you don't remove that junky looking car from your yard, we will remove it and charge you.

I just don't see any difference, especially when it comes to private business property. I do know these CGs use the 10 year rule, so they can keep the bad ones out and I'm sure that has backfired on them a few times with some newer junk. However, I bet they always allow many more 10+ year old RVs than they ever turn away. I only encountered one of these and it was this spring. I pulled in unannounced and they actually had a sign that said RVs must be no more than 10 years old. They watched me pull with my '99. I went in and registered, with make, model and year. Stayed 2 days and never a word. There is no doubt in my mind that if my MH was a piece of junk, they could have invoked their 10 year rule. The 10 year rule is just a facade for the real reason, we don't want junk in our CG, nothing more, nothing less. Certainly their right and I'm fine with that.
__________________

__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #101
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
So, you are saying that Rolls Royce is discriminating against me because I can't afford their auto, and that Beverly Hills discrmininates against me because I can't afford a mansion? Sorry, I don't see it that way.

The original Q was if a campground had the right to set rules on age of RV; I maintain they do, it may be a bad business model but it is their right as the propterty owner to set the look-and-feel of their park. One's ability to meet those rules based on income is not discrimination, its life. Discrimination would be that even if someone had the appropriate RV they don't let them in because of race/creed/etc. Against the person, not the vehicle. Is it discrimination that a Corvette Owners Club doesn't let me join if I drive an SUV?

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
C'mon.. never said not affording a Rolls is discrimatory BUT you being a snob towards ME for not being able to purchase one IS. I just dont see how you guys dont see that?
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #102
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
The 10 year rule is just a facade for the real reason, we don't want junk in our CG, nothing more, nothing less....
Exactly! You didnt get asked because your RV looks like any made in the 2000's, and I'm sure you, your self looked the part too. Now, if I came in, however, with a coach that obviously looks like it was made in the '80s would I have been let in? How about if I wore biker leathers or torn up jeans or looked like a hippie?

Again, discrimination... "Oh, he looks like us, let him in."
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #103
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
C'mon.. never said not affording a Rolls is discrimatory BUT you being a snob towards ME for not being able to purchase one IS. I just dont see how you guys dont see that?
I have to admit that I am having a hard time seeing the social injustice in this.

One of my dreams, which I'll never realize, is to play a round of golf at Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia. No amount of money can buy my way on to that course... and I certainly don't have the talent to earn my way there. The course even sits unused for up to eight months per year and still they prohibit me from playing there, or even walking on the grounds. I've tried!

Another example used earlier was also good... we can't join the Corvette Club of America unless we fork over big bucks to buy a Corvette... I don't know if this is really true but let's go with it for the sake of example.

IMO, these private enterprises have the right to set their own standards. If a large enough share of the public doesn't like their business model or thinks is just plain "wrong", then they will eventually go out of business. Pretty simple I think.

I'm curious... for those who feel that this practice of having an age limit on RVs is wrong, what solution would you propose?



Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #104
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'm curious... for those who feel that this practice of having an age limit on RVs is wrong, what solution would you propose?
Perhaps rather than age of the RV, an index of reflectivity of the paint. This would allow older, but cared for RVs to pay for the privilege to stay in their snooty RV park.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #105
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Exactly! You didnt get asked because your RV looks like any made in the 2000's, and I'm sure you, your self looked the part too. Now, if I came in, however, with a coach that obviously looks like it was made in the '80s would I have been let in? How about if I wore biker leathers or torn up jeans or looked like a hippie?
I think you are missing the point. It has nothing to do with money, that you may or may not have. It has nothing to do with the year of your coach. It's what it looks like, which reflects on you. It may very well be the people they look at, not the coach. I recently sold a '92 class C that looked like new. I would have no problem pulling into one of these campgrounds. It doesn't take a ton of bucks to wash, wax and polish an RV. It does reflect on what kind of person I am. BTW, my wife an I belong to a Motorcycle Club, my hair is down to my waist and we both were wearing our "Colors" when we checked in that CG, telling them it was a '99. So seems to me (as I said earlier) the year of the coach has nothing to do with it....or Biker leathers.

"Discrimination" is a human trait, always has been and always will be in some form or another. You would not purchase a house next to one that made a junk yard look like DisneyLand. So why do you have a problem with a CG not wanting these same people in their CG? I don't think this rule was born out of discrimination, I have no doubt it was born out of experience. People who have no respect for themselves or other people and their property, can be discriminated against until hell freezes over, for all I care.
__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #106
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Big Bear Lake, Ca
Posts: 886
Arguments can be made pro and con. My motorhome is a '91. My monthly payment is $0.00. The wood cabinets are real solid oak. It has a 40 gallon propane tank. It has a 3,000 watt inverter and 3 J185H Trojan batteries for 645 Ah of capacity. The frame is aluminum not wood. It is mine all mine.
I i.e we, choose not to put 100+K or 1000/mo into an RV at this point in our lives. Other things are much more important to us. So for our needs a vintage motorhome works just fine. As to the parks that ask for a picture it would not be a park that we would want to stay at. We prefer the Forest Service campgrounds at the small trout lakes in the High Sierra's. And other close by ranges. I don't want a neighbor 20' away.
I like it when our neighbors are kind of guessing how old it is? How many times it's been detailed and painted - none.
__________________
2004 CRV TOAD/1990 WRANGLER TOAD ROCK BUILT
Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #107
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 655
The only points I have commented on was (1) do campground owners have the right to set rules such as age of RV and (2) is it discrimination.

Nowhere have I commented on WHY an owner might do this... I don't care. He might be trying to keep out junkers, he might be wealth-biased, he might have been bitten in the leg by an old RV the past and be scared of them. Doesn't matter to me for the points in this discussion.

Sorry, I feel if someone wants to be a "snob" and have a "snooty RV park" that's their God-given right. May not like it, may not like them, but no law against being a jerk and it's not discrimination. I keep going back to the fact that it's their property, their right to set their business rules, and the market will decide. That's all. Don't like the rules, don't go there... probably wouldn't like the people anyways. Make your own park with your own rules, then let people decide if you are being fair with yours.

Can't take it personally. Life's too short. This started out as a discussion about the rigs, not the people.
__________________
Ed & Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #108
Senior Member
 
rvguy40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 185
I've been lucky, I've not encountered any campgrounds that have an age restriction. HOWEVER, I broach the subject with THEM when making reservations, and offer to send a picture if they have any question...(you can read a newspaper off the side of my Seabreeze ) I have yet to have anyone want a picture. I also don't stay anyplace that has the word "resort" in the name. I want a campground or rv park.... kids, dogs and campfires is what it's all about.
__________________
1997 National Seabreeze 133 Limited
1993 Mazda Miata
2005 Basset Hound, "Fred"
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #109
Senior Member
 
sirpurrcival's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Some cruises and restaurants require evening gowns and suits to attend dinner. You're not wearing shoes and/or shirt, you're not buying anything here. You cannot enter if you are wearing motorcycle attire. You legally carry a concealed weapon, but you can't in my place. The list goes on... Even many cities have "eyesore" laws. If you don't remove that junky looking car from your yard, we will remove it and charge you.

I just don't see any difference, especially when it comes to private business property. I do know these CGs use the 10 year rule, so they can keep the bad ones out and I'm sure that has backfired on them a few times with some newer junk. However, I bet they always allow many more 10+ year old RVs than they ever turn away. I only encountered one of these and it was this spring. I pulled in unannounced and they actually had a sign that said RVs must be no more than 10 years old. They watched me pull with my '99. I went in and registered, with make, model and year. Stayed 2 days and never a word. There is no doubt in my mind that if my MH was a piece of junk, they could have invoked their 10 year rule. The 10 year rule is just a facade for the real reason, we don't want junk in our CG, nothing more, nothing less. Certainly their right and I'm fine with that.

If that is the case, then why shouldn't the rule be something to the effect that all RV Units need to meet a standard for good condition. IE, clean, not leaking fluids, unmuffled or what have you. That would seem more reasonable and fair minded that saying 10 years. Some of these rigs are very expensive, have seen limited mileage and really you can't even compare a 10 year old rig to a 10 year old car for wear and tear or condition for example. If we follow the age logic, you could just as easily refuse Blue RV's or RV's with seniors in them or mixed race couples of whatever. And despite the popular notion that people can run their business anyway they like, the fact is that anything can be actionable in a court of law. Win or lose, that can run into big money.

People are right, it is a person's business to run and it is also their risk to run as well. Someday one of these parks will turn away someone who will take issue with this and will sue.
__________________
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #110
Senior Member
 
Lincolnboy2's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grand Prairie, TX (DFW)
Posts: 3,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Papers? We dont need no stinking papers!
__________________
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
If we follow the age logic, you could just as easily refuse Blue RV's or RV's with seniors in them or mixed race couples of whatever. .
You really equate age limits on a machine with illegally turning away people because of their age or race?

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #112
Senior Member
 
Jack1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

I have to admit that I am having a hard time seeing the social injustice in this.

One of my dreams, which I'll never realize, is to play a round of golf at Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia. No amount of money can buy my way on to that course... and I certainly don't have the talent to earn my way there. The course even sits unused for up to eight months per year and still they prohibit me from playing there, or even walking on the grounds. I've tried


Rick
Are you sure you want to use Augusta National as your example, considering their track record of racial & gender discrimination? On the other hand, they are the perfect example of a "private" organization practicing discrimination (gender) in 2012....this is not illegal. Their golf course... their rules.

Is a CG's requirement that your rig be less than 10yrs old or in good condition....discrimination - you bet it is. So what? Their CG....their rules.
__________________

__________________
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.