Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #113
Senior Member
 
sirpurrcival's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
You really equate age limits on a machine with illegally turning away people because of their age or race?

Rick
The statement was made to illustrate a point. The point being that business owners can't make up any rule they please because it is their business. Nothing is quite so unencumbered in this world. Business owners certainly will make their own decisions about how to run their business but policies which exclude are sensitive matters. Pains must be taken to ensure that exclusionary policies have merit or as I mentioned above, they run the risk of legal action. On the whole, there are an awful lot of RV's that are excluded by policies like these and chances are with economies being the way they are, there are going to more and more who potentially fall into these categories. My RV is a 1999 for example. It is in good shape but I can tell you, it wouldn't sit well if I got to an RV park only to be turned away because it is too old.
__________________

__________________
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #114
Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 96
"I'm curious... for those who feel that this practice of having an age limit on RVs is wrong, what solution would you propose?"

I have a few ideas:

1) Don't open your "private" park to the public. Make it a private club just like Augusta National Golf Course (NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC), if you don't want older coaches.

2) IF you open it to the general public: Have "rules and regulations" that are based in safety, health, courtesy and not aesthetics.
(ie: no leaking sewer or holding tanks, no belching generator polluting the air, quiet hours, etc.)

See, I think this attitude is based in the fact that, historically, CGs were for everyone, not just the few that could afford them. So the idea that someone would open one for a "select" group kinda goes against the grain.

HOWEVER: I can also see the point in comparing it to a HOA. Kind of like, if one buys a piece of land in a particular sub-division (rent as in the case of a MH), one must build a certain type of home and maintain it in a certain way and it is known up front when one buys/rents the land in that sub-division. This is a model some desire in a CG.

Anyway, it all comes down to that same old thing we see in our cities......we divide up by income. It's just sad, because camping used to be one of those places where it didn't matter. We were all out there having fun. But, life is what it is and so are people

cb
__________________

__________________
pawnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #115
Senior Member
 
vtwinwilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
It is NOT "discrimination". It is a campground rule. A business cannot discriminate against a PERSON on the basis of religion, ethnic background, age etc. They can have rules on what vehicles they allow in.
BIG difference.
It absolutely is "Discrimination" in the the very purest definition of the word. It doesn't have to be about race, religion, or gender to be discriminatory in nature. If we go to Merrian-Webster...

1
a : the act of discriminating
b : the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently
2
: the quality or power of finely distinguishing

3
a : the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually
b : prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment

Now discrimination is not necessarily always a bad thing. We as a society discriminate all the time, and in many cases it is "good" discrimination. Such as, we treat those who break the law differently than those who don't. That would fall under definition number 1 above. In fact, the very nature of law is to discriminate.

Some people are said to have "Discriminating tastes." this would be difinition number 2, and is again, not considered a bad thing.

For campgrounds to say... "if your rig is over 10 years old you're not welcome"... well that's "Discrimination" definition number 3... and I'll let each individual decide whether that's a bad thing or not.

I personally don't care. Yes I do have a coach older than 10 years, but I have never had a problem. In fact, I can't remember that the issue has ever come up at any campground or RV Park I've stayed in.

... that's my 2 cents
__________________
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #116
Senior Member
 
RedneckExpress's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sauvie Island, OR
Posts: 2,353
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnotes View Post
Went to reserve a site for during the "snow bird" season. The campground required we send a picture of the motorhome to prove it was in "like new" shape because it was more than 10 years old. Anyone have this happen?

pawnotes aka Dave n Carla
Jack n Kelly the ESS
2000 Monaco Diplomat (LIKE NEW CONDITION )
We do that as standard operating procedure for allowing in classics at Island Cove .
__________________
'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
'74
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #117
laj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnotes
"I'm curious... for those who feel that this practice of having an age limit on RVs is wrong, what solution would you propose?"

I have a few ideas:

1) Don't open your "private" park to the public. Make it a private club just like Augusta National Golf Course (NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC), if you don't want older coaches.

2) IF you open it to the general public: Have "rules and regulations" that are based in safety, health, courtesy and not aesthetics.
(ie: no leaking sewer or holding tanks, no belching generator polluting the air, quiet hours, etc.)

See, I think this attitude is based in the fact that, historically, CGs were for everyone, not just the few that could afford them. So the idea that someone would open one for a "select" group kinda goes against the grain.

HOWEVER: I can also see the point in comparing it to a HOA. Kind of like, if one buys a piece of land in a particular sub-division (rent as in the case of a MH), one must build a certain type of home and maintain it in a certain way and it is known up front when one buys/rents the land in that sub-division. This is a model some desire in a CG.

Anyway, it all comes down to that same old thing we see in our cities......we divide up by income. It's just sad, because camping used to be one of those places where it didn't matter. We were all out there having fun. But, life is what it is and so are people

cb
I think the perfect solution would be for those that don't want any restrictions would be to get ten people, each with 250,000 and build their own cg. That way they could let anything and everything in, no restrictions, no rules and see how they did. That way it would be their money, their labor, their risk, and their loss. What? No takers? Instead they want someone else to do this, then sit back and bitch, and dictate how they can run it. BS! Grow up, if you don't fit, move on. Lots of state, and federal parks to choose from. Oh, that's right, you want the nice parks to allow whatever in.
__________________
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #118
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Punta Gorda FL.
Posts: 2,631
I don't want to stay anywhere that would have me as a member.
__________________
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #119
Senior Member
 
vtwinwilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I don't want to stay anywhere that would have me as a member.
Now that's funny!
__________________
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #120
Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 96
Amen!
__________________
pawnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #121
Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
I think the perfect solution would be for those that don't want any restrictions would be to get ten people, each with 250,000 and build their own cg. That way they could let anything and everything in, no restrictions, no rules and see how they did. That way it would be their money, their labor, their risk, and their loss. What? No takers? Instead they want someone else to do this, then sit back and bitch, and dictate how they can run it. BS! Grow up, if you don't fit, move on. Lots of state, and federal parks to choose from. Oh, that's right, you want the nice parks to allow whatever in.
Such coarse language......

I have a different opinion/suggestion, than yours. Several of us do and we are not coarsely telling you to be quiet.
Not Nice!
__________________
pawnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #122
laj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,241
I don't believe I told anyone to be quiet.
Neither did I say anything about a membership
Cg. I love this thread and opinions on it
__________________
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #123
Senior Member
 
sirpurrcival's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
I think the perfect solution would be for those that don't want any restrictions would be to get ten people, each with 250,000 and build their own cg. That way they could let anything and everything in, no restrictions, no rules and see how they did. That way it would be their money, their labor, their risk, and their loss. What? No takers? Instead they want someone else to do this, then sit back and bitch, and dictate how they can run it. BS! Grow up, if you don't fit, move on. Lots of state, and federal parks to choose from. Oh, that's right, you want the nice parks to allow whatever in.
Don't take some peoples unease with this particular kind of rule as some kind of endorsement of anarchy. It isn't. We all can recognize that some rules are necessary, healthy and useful. The disagreement in this thread is whether or not the "age" of a unit is really a valid criteria for making this discrimination. Most of us understand well a CG Owners need to make their campgrounds neat and safe. This 10 year old rule doesn't ensure that at all. At best, it might make a campground look more contemporary but it says nothing about the quality of the people behind the wheel. Rude, inconsiderate people come in all shapes, sizes and income groups. Is a 30 year old house better than a 40 year old house? Depends really oh how it is taken care. Same thing with these kinds of rules, each case is different.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, one of my most recent camping experiences had a totally obnoxious 5th wheel owner in the CG. By this rule, they would get into the 10 year or less campground no problem because their unit was only a couple of years old. There site was a complete jumble of stuff, music playing all day, loud voices calling to each other to be heard over the music and so on. I on the other hand would be forced to prove that my rig and I were fit to be allowed in. Nice quiet folks, very respectful of others space and keep a neat site. Hopefully that puts into perspective why it might rankle to have to "prove" you are fit to belong and being completely at the whim of whomever you get behind the counter on a given day simply based on the age of my rig.
__________________
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #124
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
I've been lucky, I've not encountered any campgrounds that have an age restriction. HOWEVER, I broach the subject with THEM when making reservations, and offer to send a picture if they have any question...(you can read a newspaper off the side of my Seabreeze ) I have yet to have anyone want a picture. I also don't stay anyplace that has the word "resort" in the name. I want a campground or rv park.... kids, dogs and campfires is what it's all about.


And Smores, dont forget the Smores
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #125
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Don't take some peoples unease with this particular kind of rule as some kind of endorsement of anarchy. It isn't. We all can recognize that some rules are necessary, healthy and useful. The disagreement in this thread is whether or not the "age" of a unit is really a valid criteria for making this discrimination.
Well said. I am surprised at how many responses were to defend the CG owners 'rights.' I am more dismayed that so few seem to have any problem with the prejudice displayed by this arbitrary idea that a 10 year old rig is the 'line in the sand' that makes us second class citizens.

All of you with rigs made in 2003, enjoy your privileges, you are about to be downgraded!
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #126
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Are you sure you want to use Augusta National as your example, considering their track record of racial & gender discrimination? On the other hand, they are the perfect example of a "private" organization practicing discrimination (gender) in 2012....this is not illegal. Their golf course... their rules.

Is a CG's requirement that your rig be less than 10yrs old or in good condition....discrimination - you bet it is. So what? Their CG....their rules.
Thank you..
__________________

__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.